Off-season thread

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If he was bought out and doing the genius move of putting his $1.4m penalty into Robetson's contract year, an injury to Harley or Lindell means we're playing Hanley (or 19 yo Bischel, or Pouiliot, or Jordie Benn) in the top 4....? Just to save $2.8m when there was no available FA that is a drastic improvement over him (and for <$3m)?

Super obvious
Not sure how I missed this but I'll respond now.

In 3yrs when Robertson needs an extension, there is literally 3 players on the books, Hintz, Heiskanen and the last year of Seguins deal, never mind the cap being over 90m by then too.
That 1.4m "penalty" which is really a reward for getting rid of Suter, would mean f*** all.
We piss more space away that that every year.

I'd take the risk with everyone of those players as a potential injury fill in for a guy that should be a #6 but is played like a #3.
What is the worst that happens they do just as bad?

Right now we're one Heiskanen injury away from Suter as a number 1 D all because of a reputation he had a decade ago. And that is a scary f***ing thought.

Reactions: 506

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
After watching the video @MrHeiskanen put up yesterday I think Nill has got it; his main worry, like the rest of us, is our defense. If Harley continues and Lundkvist takes that step our defense isn’t bad.

Nill is open to making a move if it’s needed though to help our defense. Not including Bourque, Stankoven and to a lesser extent Damiani, Blumel, etc. we have 13 forwards guaranteed.

Anyways just rambling and ready for hockey!

edit - what I was originally thinking about though was if injuries/defense needs help Nill knows he can make a move without changing the Stars.

Last edited:

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Of course…

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Dadonov-Johnston-Benn

…look to continue our top 6 but our bottom 6 is a mix of Seguin, Duchene, Marchment, Dellandrea, Steel, Smith and Faksa. What a great pain in the ass we have at the moment.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I think we're one Defenseman away from being close to as perfectly balanced as a team can get in a flat cap time

Granted that defenseman were missing is a top pair true number 2 RHD which is hard to get, but still think everything flows down well if we got it.

Could really see the pairs of Lindell- Lundqvist and Harley- Hakanpaa work well as great 2 and 3 pairs.

But yeh that 1 true top pairing D away

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What are your expectations for Johnston this year? I'm not saying he will top out at this, but I think he can get 65 points this season.

Too aggressive?

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
PP2 is where I expect maybe the most improvement for this team compared to last year assuming they mercifully put Suter down

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
PP2 is where I expect maybe the most improvement for this team compared to last year assuming they mercifully put Suter down
Yep.

2 plus factors here even if we totally set aside personal growth.

Dadonov is twice as skilled as Dellandrea who Johnston played with up until the trade for the most part. And they gelled right away.

Then the PP2. Last year it was pretty much a total give-up, just stand around and wait for the time to expire with Suter running it. The only time it looked dangerous was at the start of the season when Lundkvist and Johnston were out there together and the puck was running through them.

The only factor against is possible Benn regression. If Benn reverts to being less aggressive again and stops looking for his shot that could hurt Johnston's assist totals.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Time for a McDonnell quote from the vault

Mascherin said he knew that his decision to not sign with the Panthers could raise some questions among the other NHL teams, but Stars director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell did a lot of background digging on Mascherin and saw no issues.

"I happen to be from the city where he plays. I have a few connections there," McDonnell said. "There were no red flags."
He's from the same city, dammit.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The way Mascherin handled his entire career is certainly an odd one, by refusing to sign, going back into the draft, then having good AHL start and looking promising to making the NHL but refusing to go back to the AHL one more season, jetting off to Europe.. then after one season in the SHL decide you want to play in Italy.. then say f*** that.. go back to the SHL and accomplish nothing, get injured, f*** around, and then retire.

Dude could write a whole ass book.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What a wierd career trajectory he had. Should've stuck with something instead of constantly changing lanes. Like when he started playing in Italy because he got the offer to play in the next Winter Olympics for Italy and that barely lasted a couple of months.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I wonder how much bad advice he was getting from his agent... or maybe he just didn't like playing hockey lmao

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Edit: Nvm Mascherin retired due to injuries. It sounds like he literally can't play hockey without complications. (link)

"Unfortunately I won't be able to play hockey again. I wish it wasn't like this but it is not a possibility to play again."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad