Speculation: Off season roster priorities

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
You forgot to replace someone into Chabots lineup spot ..as Chabots always in the press box injured ...

Can't count on him being in the lineup ...
The idea of an “always injured” player is a bit of a slippery slope. You might be right about Chabot, but Chychrun was another player that had this label applied to him, and he played 82 games this year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
1. Chychrun out for futures. Our cupboard needs restocking.

2. Try to sign a RD who can play beside Chabot in the top 4. Matt Roy at ~4 x $4.5M is my first choice. Demelo at ~3 x $3.5 would be my next choice. I wouldn't mind Carrier either but I think a guy like Pesce would be too expensive for what he'll bring to our team.

3. If FA targets fail you look to trade futures acquired for Chychrun to shore up RD.

4. Sign a low price goalie like Stolarz this year and see if you can get 45 games or so out of him. Find a way to LTIR one of our existing goalies or find another creative way to move one out. Won't be easy.

5. Get a cheap vet forward who can skate, defend and PK. This year a guy like Andrew Cogliano would have been nice.

6. If finances allow get a guy who can play in the top 9.

7. Move Norris to the wing.

But before all this find a good coach and staff. Martin is not coming back. He did pretty well. For our last 41 games we played at 90 point pace with some of the worst goaltending I can remember and a difficult, packed schedule. However we need a new young voice who can bring solid Xs and Os AND the right energy for our group. I don't want Alfie back behind the bench. He's a franchise legend and should not be employed in a position where he might need to be fired one day. Time to let Capuano go.

A new coaching staff that gets things going in the right direction from day 1 of camp will do wonders for this group.

Norris - Stü - Batherson
Tkachuk - Pinto - Giroux
Crookshank/UFA/Jarventie - Greig - Joseph
Kelly - "Cogliano" - MacEwen/Katchouk
Kastelic

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Roy
Brann/Kleven - JBD/Brann (those three rotate based on need and who plays well)
Hamonic

Korpisalo
Stolarz

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
1. Coach.

2. Pinto (this will determine how much flexibility we have)

3. RHD for the top 4

4. Goaltending (this would be higher but idk how realistic it is to fix)

5. Pick an offensive minded LHD and trade the others

6. Fill in the bottom pair/bottom 6

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
1. Coach.

2. Pinto (this will determine how much flexibility we have)

3. RHD for the top 4

4. Goaltending (this would be higher but idk how realistic it is to fix)

5. Pick an offensive minded LHD and trade the others

6. Fill in the bottom pair/bottom 6
Or trade both LHD and build a proper dcorps.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
35 years old next season, that brings him to 37, lots of guys drop off fast in that age range particularly those that play the hard mins like him.

This is true, but someone will be stupid and offer him too much money and term.

Then a few years down the line, uh oh, a chronic condition. Sounds like he needs surgery and a long recovery.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Not sure where to put this, but there's starting to be some buzz in NCAA circles about Denver's David Carle moving to the NHL. Two titles in three years, and killed it at the WJC last year. Gets the most out of young players, so places like Buffalo and AZ come to mind. Any other team with a young core? I don't imagine it would go over very well here, just found it interesting.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The way I see it is that it won't be a very exciting offseason. Player movement is difficult, especially when a team doesn't have a lot of cap/assets.

Out:
  • Chychrun->Trade.
  • Forsberg->Trade.
  • BOS 1st->Trade.
  • Brannstrom->Not qualified.
  • Kubalik->Shot into the sun.
  • Approx. Cap Space After Those Moves = 20M for 15 players (assuming Norris is active).

In:
  • Ullmark->Trade
  • Jenner->Trade
  • Tanev->Trade for UFA rights, then sign.
  • New Hamonic->(Over the hill veteran defenseman to play on the bottom pair.)
  • John Gruden->(Head Coach)
  • Will Bitten->He's from Ottawa and was on the Bulldog's championship team that Staios and Gruden are connected to. That's at triple whammy. Might be a UFA if STL doesn't qualify him.
Ullmark, Jenner, and Tanev (or his equivalent) should cost about 15M and bring the roster up to 18 players. Assuming Norris will play to start the season, that would give them about 5M to get up to 20-23 skaters.

Keep in mind that the "In" names don't have to be those players. Except for John Gruden, that's obviously set in stone. For example, if not Ullmark, it will be an established veteran goalie with a track record. Jenner, a veteran top 6 forward. Tanev, a defenseman who can play defense and doesn't stink. New Hamonic, New Hamonic. Will Bitten, a random player from the Hamilton Bulldogs. All coaches and GMs do it. They fill the less consequential spots like the 4th line or the AHL veteran roles with guys they like from their past.

Unless there is actually steam to the Karlsson stuff and it's a lateral move (Karlsson for Chabot), I doubt we see anything crazy or out of left-field. Even the above list seems like expectations that are too high.

The above list of transactions would look something like:
  1. Forsberg+Chychrun to BOS for Ullmark+roster player. No extensions. The logic being if the market is soft for Chychrun to the point that they would play out the season with him, they might as well swap him for a player who is a better fit. The pending UFA status becomes a sunk cost at that point.
  2. BOS 1st and 1-2 B or C pieces to CBJ for Jenner. New management in Columbus, they will want to put their own spin on the team. They don't have a lot of players they can move to get space+assets needed to alter the team.
  3. Tanev signed to a deal everybody knows will be bad in 2-3 years, but they need to give him the extra term to convince him to choose Ottawa. Similar to Toronto giving Marleau the third year when every other team he was in on was stuck at 2 because they knew the third year could be bad.
  4. New Hamonic. Erik Johnson? Marc Staal? Johnny Oduya? 1M 1-way deal for a player who probably should no longer be playing.
These are more predictions than what I think we should do. You guys don't want to Ceci what I think we should do.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Something realistic
Hire a competent coach
Acquire RD
Run it back

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Pinto/Stu - Pinto/Stu - Giroux
Jarventie - Grieg - Joseph
Brannstrom - Ostapchuk - Macewen

Sanderson - “RD”
Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - JBD

Korpisalo
Forsberg

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Chabot and anyone else that gets injured better be doing that Diamond Dallas Page yoga. Great preventative and mobility exercises that help against injuries

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Does the RD search become dire enough that we bite the Karlsson bullet?
Probably not. We would need to strike out in FA, and not be able to execute on a trade for a more defensively minded RD. I think there's good odds we can fill that role in FA if Staios is aggressive in his offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad