Speculation: Off season roster priorities

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
In my view we will look to add a RD via FA. I’m fully expecting Staios to go hard after Tanev. I’m thinking 3 x 4M. I’m not confident there is a way to fix the goaltending but I’m sure Staios will try. I also think we make a trade to get a guy like Boone Jenner.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In my view we will look to add a RD via FA. I’m fully expecting Staios to go hard after Tanev. I’m thinking 3 x 4M. I’m not confident there is a way to fix the goaltending but I’m sure Staios will try. I also think we make a trade to get a guy like Boone Jenner.
I think it was dregger on the radio this morning that was saying at the deadline we had some discussions about players that weren't available yet, he mentioned Jenner if I recall.

Ideally, I'd like to at least replace one goalie, it doesn't have to be with a Saros level guy, but we can't go into the year with the exact same combo.

Tanev at 4x3, that might not age well...

Reactions: PierresGabriels

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pinto signed….

Coach hired….

Draft….

Start courting RDs and veteran forward….

That’s the summer task list

Bonus points for adding some pro and amateur scouts…

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think it was dregger on the radio this morning that was saying at the deadline we had some discussions about players that weren't available yet, he mentioned Jenner if I recall.

Ideally, I'd like to at least replace one goalie, it doesn't have to be with a Saros level guy, but we can't go into the year with the exact same combo.

Tanev at 4x3, that might not age well...
Tanev at 3 x 4M won’t age well but it’s what the back end needs. He can partner well with a +skater. I’m thinking

Sanderson Tanev
Chabot Zub
Klevin JBD

Is good enough. There’s only so many changes you can make in 1 offseason.

I’d keep Branny but at 1.5 not 2+

Pinto signed….

Coach hired….

Draft….

Start courting RDs and veteran forward….

That’s the summer task list

Bonus points for adding some pro and amateur scouts…
Don’t worry about the scouts, they have already started.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Tanev at 3 x 4M won’t age well but it’s what the back end needs. He can partner well with a +skater. I’m thinking

Sanderson Tanev
Chabot Zub
Klevin JBD

Is good enough. There’s only so many changes you can make in 1 offseason.

I’d keep Branny but at 1.5 not 2+
You forgot to replace someone into Chabots lineup spot ..as Chabots always in the press box injured ...

Can't count on him being in the lineup ...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You forgot to replace someone into Chabots lineup spot ..as Chabots always in the press box injured ...

Can't count on him being in the lineup ...
I hear you but I don’t think it’s realistic.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Blow it up, start wheeling and dealing, We need (Methot/Foligno deals) we had luck in FA because we appeared to be moving in the right direction, nobody is going to be fooled by that after this wasted season.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hire Berube
Trade Chychrun for Ullmark
Sign DeMelo
Sign Tanev
Trade Forsberg for conditional future considerations
Draft Parkeh.
Trade Norris
Extend Brannchise

Buy out Hamonic, Korpisalo,

Start planning the parade.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Emerica

May 29, 2010
My offseason gameplan would be:

- Trade Chychrun. I have no interest in giving him the contract he is going to want. Not the type of defenseman i hoped we would be getting when we traded for him. Good for him that he played all 82 games but he was terrible defensively all season, turnover prone and soft as butter. Don't see the long term fit. Maybe a one for one for a youngish top 6 forward, maybe for a starting goalie.

- Sign/trade for a defensively responsible top 4 RD to pair with Chabot. Looking at Demelo, Roy, Montour. Give them Chychrun's money

- Trade for a goalie. Can't go back into next season with the same two goalies. I would use the BOS 1st as trade bait for an established starter. Perhaps Chychrun if the other team has interest.

- Find a vet LW2/3 that can produce but won't break the bank. Someone like Toffoli, Duclair, Sprong.

- Upgrade the bottom 6. Need better quality depth pieces. I would be fine with bringing back Kelly on a one year deal since he kills penalties. Totally good with moving on from both Kastelic and Katchouk.

Anyways, there are a lot of different ways this offseason could go. Excited to go into an offseason lead by a new front office.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Hire one of Sullivan, Berube, or Julien

Trade Chychrun
Sign Top 4 Dman
Cross your fingers and hope Korpisalo figures it out

Reactions: DrEasy

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
We need to improve our goaltending and then we need the right coach to lead this team and we need to improve our D especially on the right side.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Jenner would be an amazing addition on & off the ice but he would cost a ton and potentially walk us right into another Duchene/Stone/Debrincat/Chychrun situation

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When you think about it - it’s weird that over the last 2-3 years under DJ Smith when they should have been competitive that the players thought they were anything close to good enough. Disaster our game a d losing streaks they looked totally lost, the inability to control games or water down the opposition or get the opposition playing to your strengths. It’s weird Jacques Martin had to be the guy to tell the players they were nowhere close to good enough and the culture was bad and they in fact had no identity because it was all just winning on emotion and talent and not systems based. And there was friction there when they told the players this after DJ was fired.

Reactions: Agent Zub

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Fixing the special teams should be one of the top priorities. Don't know how but this is not a league you can be competitive in if your special teams are even mediocre, let alone near the bottom of the league like we were this year.

Worst single-season PK since the rebuild started in 2018-19 and the third-worst PP. For instance, we scored 72 PPG on 306 PPopp last year vs. 51 PPG on 283 PPopp this year. Combine our net PK number of 78% with our net PP number of 15.9% = 93.9% combined special teams vs. last year where we had 103% combined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad