Off-Season Review

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Now that we've had a fair amount of time what do you think of the players we got this past off-season

Hiller
Raymond
Bollig
Engelland

and maybe the draft picks too.

I think Hiller is working out well. But Raymond and Engelland are disasters. Bollig's meh.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Now that we've had a fair amount of time what do you think of the players we got this past off-season

Hiller
Raymond
Bollig
Engelland

and maybe the draft picks too.

I think Hiller is working out well. But Raymond and Engelland are disasters. Bollig's meh.

Hiller gave the team a good start. I do not believe in Ramo and Ortio needs more time. So his signing is a good signing, although I think nothing but going down from here on for him.

Raymond is a big disappointment. I thought he is better than this. Right now I rather have the young guys playing than him.

Engelland is overpaid, not a disaster but a bad signing.
Bollig is bad because we lost a decent draft pick for him but he fills a role. Without him McGrattan may be still around and I rather have him than McGrattan

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hiller has been good, a little inconsistent but pretty much what I expected based on his performance with the Ducks.

Raymond I haven't been a fan of, wish we only signed him to 2 years.

Bollig and Engelland are role players. Bollig is paid accordingly, Engelland was a FA so he's overpaid but I don't mind him. He's a bottom pairing guy who provides size and truculence. His cap hit is irrelevant to me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hiller's signing was a good signing. It gives us depth at the position. Ortio being third on the depth list makes a big difference over Ortio being second on the depth chart. All Hiller had to do to justify this signing was to win us some games, and he's done that.

Raymond's signing has been a mistake so far. In the case of Setoguchi, we signed a reclamation project without any real risk because he wasn't making much money and it was only one year. With Raymond, he's now an anchor tied to this team because he's making $3M for 3 years. Now, he's had injuries kind of hurt his performance this season, and it's not impossible that he can turn things around over the balance of his contract, but right now there hasn't really been much good to say about the signing.

Bollig certainly looks to be exactly what we were expecting. Treliving was hoping he could overachieve and become more than what he is, but he's pretty much been par for the course. I like his physicality and he doesn't have the worst hands in the world.

I was a staunch defender of Engelland's signing at the time, but I'm starting to have my doubts. He can't keep up with good hockey players in the defensive zone. There are many good things you can say about Deryk Engelland, but none of them overcome the fact that while he's on the ice, the other team keeps generating scoring chances. The term on his contract is three years, so like Raymond he will become an issue when he's surpassed. Unlike Raymond, though, I don't think you really have to worry about whether he'll be ok with a press box role.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hiller
- Played very well do far. He's an NHL goalie with some pedigree. The best part about him, is if he continues to play solid; he'll be a good trade chip. I loved this move.

Raymond
- Far from a 'disaster', he just hasn't been overly productive. If we remember before the injury, he was one of our better offensive forwards most nights. I like how his game has progressed as of late. He's a depth scoring 'tween-winger; he can't be looked at to carry the load. However, 6 goals in 23 games; that's over 20 goal pace in a full season... that's exactly what we paid him to be (3 million).

Bollig
- Everyone *****es about Bollig because... I don't know? He hasn't scored? That's not his role, honestly. He's a role-player, that can actually play this game. He isn't a dud like Big Ern when not fighting, but more importantly, he payed his contract in full this year:
A) Pummeled the **** out of Mark Borowiecki after that big hit on Bouma.
B) Pummeled the **** out of Brooks Orpik after big hits on Jooris.

This guy knows his role, and he isn't just a goon. It cost a 3rd round pick to get him, I know a lot of people are ******** over it because 'it's a 3rd round pick' but seriously, most of the time you hope your 3+ rounders just turn into NHLers.

Engelland
Overpaid. I mean, clearly. Most nights he's scary to watch when matched with Smido. Really wish Calgary could put some speed on that bototm pair, when Diaz is down there he plays better. Definitely a role player; just not worth the 3 million contract. Honestly, Treliving should have just stepped aside when the bidding got that outrageous.

Draft Picks.
Bennett; I feel he will be the best forward out of this draft when everything is said and done. We knew he was a warrior when we drafted him, but I don't think a single one of us knew how much of one he was. It's really rare you get that kind of determination/grit with that kind of a pedigree.

McDonald; he's on a so-so team, so stat watching doesn't help. I don't know much about him... but Calgary considered him the best goalie at the draft. We will see how it plays out, honestly.

Smith; I like the Hunter pick, I know a lot of kids were ******** about it when we made it. He's going to be a gooder.

Hickey; another guy that will develop slowly, but could turn out to be a great player for Calgary down the road.

Ollas-Mattsson; Could be a really good pick up for a later round guy. I'll be kind of interested to see if this kid can get a spot on the Swedish WJC team next season.

Carroll; Older guy, he will be a professional. I don't know if he tops out in the AHL or NHL however. Good pick for a 7th rounder, these are throw-away picks mostly anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad