OT: Off-season question of the week

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So... I'm following my Devils by the Numbers thread last week with another stupid question, just to try to alleviate the boredom of the dregs of summer.

This week's question: Who is your favorite non-star Devil.

"Non-star" is subjective, but they at least can't have been in an all-star game, and probably shouldn't have ever even appeared on a ballot. I'd probably exclude anyone who's won a major award too, although Boyle is, I guess, allowable.

It could be a fighter, role player, or someone you liked just cause.

For me, it would be Dougie Brown. He was not very talented and would fall a lot, but made up for it by working his ass off, which carved out a special place in my heart :)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It changed over time as the team changed but some guys I liked that weren’t stars, although these are probably mostly deeper cuts since I didn’t include guys at the level of McKay, etc…

They may not even be that good but they were fun in their own way to me.

-Jim Korn
-Valeri Zelepukin
-Steve Sullivan was so much fun for his brief time
-Craig Billington
-Sylvain Turgeon

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
1692815558777.png

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's definitely hard for us because I feel like we have been THE team when it came to the name on the front is bigger than the name on the back. Yes, of course we had Marty, the Scotts, etc. but some of our "non-stars" became such key cogs to our success that it's hard to quantify them in that manner like Holik, McKay, Madden, etc.

The first guy I really loved as I was growing up that I didn't consider a star was Brian Rolston. I was really bummed out when we traded him until I found out it was for Pepe to come back. I was too young for the '95 run so it was cool to get to watch Claude play here for a year.

After that, the guy I turned to was Brian Rafalski (something about Brians?). I loved how he played and was an undersized guy. Though Gomer was the most special of the 4 rookies, Raffy and Mad Dog were the two I got the most attached to.

Lastly, and he obviously became more entrenched with the team as the years went on, but Bryce Salvador was always my boy. I was ecstatic that we acquired him. Lots of people were happy he was viewed as the cap casualty in that awful 10-11 year when he was really actually dealing with the concussion issues. So I couldn't have been happier to see him go on to play all 82 games the next year, play out of his mind in our Cup final run and eventually wear the C. I got to meet him at a free autograph signing a few years ago in Woodbridge and he is as genuine of a guy as you would expect him to be. He's the man and I'm forever holding a grudge with the fans who booed him when he was announced in the lineup the last year or two before he retired.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
In terms of a non-star it was definitely Zelepukin at one point. Maybe Mercer in today's game. As far as favorite star Devil, I think most people, the sane ones anyway, will go with Ben Lovejoy. He epitomized the greatness that a declining veteran defender who cannot play above sheltered minutes on a third pair can offer a developing team that could really use those sheltered minutes to break in prospects who might have a future with the team.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's definitely hard for the us because I feel like we have been THE team when it came to the name on the front is bigger than the name on the back. Yes, of course we had Marty, the Scotts, etc. but some of our "non-stars" became such key cogs to our success that it's hard to quantify them in that manner like Holik, McKay, Madden, etc.

The first guy I really loved as I was growing up that I didn't consider a star was Brian Rolston. I was really bummed out when we traded him until I found out it was for Pepe to come back. I was too young for the '95 run so it was cool to get to watch Claude play here for a year.

After that, the guy I turned to was Brian Rafalski (something about Brians?). I loved how he played and was an undersized guy. Though Gomer was the most special of the 4 rookies, Raffy and Mad Dog were the two I got the most attached to.

Lastly, and he obviously became more entrenched with the team as the years went on, but Bryce Salvador was always my boy. I was ecstatic that we acquired him. Lots of people were happy he was viewed as the cap casualty in that awful 10-11 year when he was really actually dealing with the concussion issues. So I couldn't have been happier to see him go on to play all 82 games the next year, play out of his mind in our Cup final run and eventually wear the C. I got to meet him at a free autograph signing a few years ago in Woodbridge and he is as genuine of a guy as you would expect him to be. He's the man and I'm forever holding a grudge with the fans who booed him when he was announced in the lineup the last year or two before he retired.

Good call on Rolston - that would have to be my answer. Maybe it was a combo of him being a high pick and his speed, but he was definitely a favorite non-star player of mine.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The correct answer is Sergei Brylin
In terms of a non-star it was definitely Zelepukin at one point. Maybe Mercer in today's game. As far as favorite star Devil, I think most people, the sane ones anyway, will go with Ben Lovejoy. He epitomized the greatness that a declining veteran defender who cannot play above sheltered minutes on a third pair can offer a developing team that could really use those sheltered minutes to break in prospects who might have a future with the team.

I will never forgive him for blocking Yohan Auvitu, Mirco Mueller and Connor Carrick

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have a really good trivia question, which I tried to do a couple of years ago during the covid stoppage, but nobody was into it.

How many regular season career shutouts did Martin Brodeur have at the Brendan Byrne/Continental/Meadowlands?

This is specifically for the old building, not Prudential Center/home shutouts combined.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I have a few. Brylin, Madden and Coleman are up there.

I really like Siegs and Marino right now. Haula also sneaks in there.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
So... I'm following my Devils by the Numbers thread last week with another stupid question, just to try to alleviate the boredom of the dregs of summer.

This week's question: Who is your favorite non-star Devil.

"Non-star" is subjective, but they at least can't have been in an all-star game, and probably shouldn't have ever even appeared on a ballot. I'd probably exclude anyone who's won a major award too, although Boyle is, I guess, allowable.

It could be a fighter, role player, or someone you liked just cause.

For me, it would be Dougie Brown. He was not very talented and would fall a lot, but made up for it by working his ass off, which carved out a special place in my heart :)
Agreed with Dougie Brown.

Reactions: Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The correct answer is Sergei Brylin

I will never forgive him for blocking Yohan Auvitu, Mirco Mueller and Connor Carrick
It wasn't the blocking. It was forcing guys to play up when they had no business doing so. Santini is the obvious guy. He was ultimately a borderline NHL player but as a rookie he was forced onto the first pair for a bit so Lovejoy could play on the third pair. The other issue is that you are looking in retrospect. Hindsight is always 20/20. Lovejoy was just a symbol of Shero's inability to construct a good defense. Fitz cleaned it up in about two years. Shero left the defense in poor shape and it was bad the whole time he was in NJ. He did get Bahl who maybe can stick as a third pair guy but everyone else is a Fitz acquisition. Adding a Lovejoy in the form of Colin Miller makes a lot of sense for this upcoming year. It was pointless and he was misused by Hynes on top of that. That said, Lovejoy is the greatest player ever to don the black and red.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Shawn Chambers, Brylin, Madden, Peluso, Zelepukin, and McKay were a few guys I really liked a lot.

I also reeeally wanted Willie Mitchell to have an amazing career as a Devil, unfortunately I think he only played like 20 games for them.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Anssi Salmela is one of my favorite random depth defensemen, mostly for the memes about the Church of Salmela.

Cam Janssen is definitely my favorite goon we've ever had.

I also have a soft spot for Corey Schwab and Scott Clemmensen, who both probably could have done better for themselves in the league but were misfortunate enough to be stuck behind Marty freaking Brodeur.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have a really good trivia question, which I tried to do a couple of years ago during the covid stoppage, but nobody was into it.

How many regular season career shutouts did Martin Brodeur have at the Brendan Byrne/Continental/Meadowlands?

This is specifically for the old building, not Prudential Center/home shutouts combined.
45?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Brian Gionta.

He won me over in the 2003 season when he played as a pest/energy guy. Sadly, he stopped the physical play when he got his contract - likely due to injury concerns from his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad