Prediction Contest: Off Season Prediction Contest

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ok I am insane...but here it goes...

Rules
1. Post the off season move which you think will happen. Deadline for picks is Wednesday of the week before the draft.
2. 10 points for a predicted "confirmed with link" quality transaction regarding the core. (Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Phaneuf, Gardiner, JVR, Kadri, Rielly, Bernier, Reimer. The prediction must include the other teams name and at least one returning asset from the other team. That could be a draft pick(round included) or roster player's/ prospects name.
3. 8 points correctly predict first 2 picks currently held in the first round of draft selected by the Leafs.
4. 5 points "confirmed with link" quality transaction regarding non-core player (Everyone else on payroll as a player)
Also included in this category are any free agents signed, RFA's extended.
5. 3 points. "confirmed with link" quality transaction regarding Management or coaching position (Everyone else on payroll as a manager or employee...I.e. CEO, trainer, assistant coach, scout ,media consultant)
6. 2 points for every correct draft choice for the Leafs predicted after the first round.
7. If you pick all draft choices currently (as of this posting date) held by the Leafs correctly aka "Grand Salami" - you will get 50 points and the envy and resentment of all other players.
5. Picks must be made in the prediction thread -- if you post them anywhere else, including the draft thread, they will not count. Try to have all predictions listed in the same post. Or just edit your original post when you get an idea.
7. If you want to modify your pick be sure to do so as an edit in the post of your original pick, Check that you haven't accidentally made two different picks in the same category- you'd be surprised how often that happens. In those cases neither will count and you will have a "0" for that prediction.

game starts NOW...

Game ends 12:00 Wednesday July 8th at midnight (one week after free agency starts July 1st)

No, you cannot predict a transaction that has already happened.
i.e Leafs sign Andreas Johnson to ELC + Brennan to 1-yr deal
Predictions must predate media scooping/twittering of the transaction.

Sample prediction: "Leafs sign Andreas Johnson to ELC" or "Leafs sign Brennan to 1-yr deal"
So length of deal should be included...not necessary to say how much for. Each of those predictions would be worth 5 points each.

Last edited:

TNCHL

Yeet
Aug 3, 2014
Toronto
Can I make a prediction now and then another one a week later like

Kessel to Florida for 11 OA, Matheson, jokinen

And next week

Leafs draft Hanifin
??

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Leafs draft Marner with the 4th pick.

Kessel gets traded. Phaneuf will probably stay.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can I make a prediction now and then another one a week later like

Kessel to Florida for 11 OA, Matheson, jokinen

And next week

Leafs draft Hanifin
??

Yes just edit your original post. I will check the predictions and times every time a transaction happens and keep it in a database.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
I think Kessel will be traded for Florida for #11, Gudbranson, Cap dump. I think Phaneuf will be traded to Dallas for #12 + cap dump. #4 pick will be Hanifin and #24 will be Colin White. If Kessel gets traded I could see us picking up Rantanen as well.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
4th Overall is Noah Hanifin

24th Overall is Colin White

Kessel is traded to Florida for 11th Overall (Mikko Rantanen), Prospect (rights to Kyle Rau or something) and cap dump (Brad Boyes/Scottie Upshall)

3rd round pick will be G Matej Tomek

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
How many rounds of correct picks would you have to get to get the "grand salami"? I mean . . . I suppose it's possible, but . . . not really within a reasonable statistical possibility at all. That is, it would be like winning a few lotteries on the same day.

That being said, I love the idea - will submit an entry for sure.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The rules are little confusing but here I go:

Lupul + substantial retained salary for a 2015 2nd round pick

4th overall: Dylan Strome
24th overall: Colin White

Dion Phaneuf, Tyler Bozak, JVR not traded

Phil Kessel traded after July 1st for a protected 2016 1st round pick, a player drafted in the 2015 2nd round, a significant prospect and an NHL player with 1 year left in his contract with trade value at the 2016 trade deadline.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Management Hires
  • Kelly McCrimmon in some management capacity
  • Paul MacLean - Asst. Coach
  • DJ Smith - Asst. Coach

Trades/Transactions
  • Kessel (FLA): 11th OVR + Trochek + ???
  • Phaneuf (ANA): Wizniewski + 27th OVR + Shea Theodore
  • Bozak (CHI): Sharp (Basis with more going both ways as a cap dump deal for Chicago)
  • Reimer (EDM): 62nd OVR + 4th Round Pick
  • JVR (CLB): 8th OVR + Rychel
  • Gardiner (MIN): 2016 1st Round Pick
  • Polak (Salary Retained) (CHI): 2nd Round Pick (Could be part of that deal with Bozak)
  • ------------------------------------
  • Kadri: Re-Signs for 4 Years
  • McKegg: Re-Signs for 1 Year
  • Greiss (UFA): Signs for 2 Years
  • Goc (UFA): Signs for 1 Year

Current Draft Picks
4. Noah Hanifin
24. Denis Guryanov
65. Dmytro Timashov
95. Connor Garland
107. Denis Godla
125. Lukas Vejdemo
155. Pavel Karnaukhov
185. Linus Olund

Potentially Acquired Draft Picks
8. Mikko Rantanen
11. Kyle Connor
27. Jake DeBrusk
62. Blake Speers

Added in potential draft picks on picks acquired in predicted trades Edit 1 (6/10 @ 12.05PM)
Added Kadri Extension + Thomas Greiss/Marcel Goc signings + Updated JVR trade + DJ Smith Edit 2 (6/11 @ 3.40PM)

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
this is a good idea but I also think there should be negative points for every player predicted to be traded that is not traded because why wouldn't I just post a trade for every player then? also why end after the draft why not do the whole off-season and predict some UFA signings and years/term on the RFA's?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
4th overall Hanifin

Kessel to Columbus for 8th overall and Wennberg

Draft Barzal with 8th overall

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
this is a good idea but I also think there should be negative points for every player predicted to be traded that is not traded because why wouldn't I just post a trade for every player then? also why end after the draft why not do the whole off-season and predict some UFA signings and years/term on the RFA's?

I mean, it's for fun, so why not let people think of possibly realistic landing spots for most of the roster. It's not saying "I predict Kessel to go to Florida, Columbus, or Nashville." There's only 1 trade allowed per player, so it's more of a where will this guy go and what will come back if he's traded.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Trades
1) Kessel for Vinny or RJ (4.5), Grossman (3.5), 7OA, and 2016 conditional pick
2) Frattin for PAP and 2016 3rd
3) Bozak and Reimer for Smid, Reinhart and 52nd

Draft
4th - Marner
24th - Jeremy Roy

7th - Provorov
52nd - Filip Chlapik

FA
1) Stempniak, Lee
2) Eaves, Patrick
3) Ramo, Karri

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Lol. I think it will be hard enough getting points without having to worry about losing points. As long as people only predict one transaction per player it should work. If someone isn't traded, then no harm no foul. If there is an extension of some sort instead of a trade, then you would have to predict that.

I suppose we could wait for the week after free agency...that's huge. So I will extend it for one week past free agency. I would like to put a reasonably short time period on this so people don't lose interest.

some scenarios to clarify some rules.
Let's say you think Kessel is traded for Carolina's 5th overall pick. There are potentially more parts to the transaction.
If you predict Kessel is traded for Carolina's 5th overall pick then you get 10 points because you picked the core player and one returning asset. If the deal actually included a cap dump like Semin and other assets that you name, like Holland and skinner you would get an additional 5 points for naming Each player. You can't just say cap dump. The key is there has to be a player from the leafs you named involved.

Let's say Holland is traded for Skinner. You predicted Skinner would come back somehow in a trade for Kessel, but did not name Holland then the prediction is void. A leaf player must be named by you and involved in a trade.

Last edited:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm going to go against the Kessel to Florida grain here and predict:

Kessel to Nashville for Fiala + Ellis + 2016 1st

Leafs draft Hanafin, Eriksson Ek

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Management Hires
  • Kelly McCrimmon in some management capacity
  • Paul MacLean - Asst. Coach

Trades/Transactions
  • Kessel (FLA): 11th OVR + Trochek + ???
  • Phaneuf (ANA): Wizniewski + 27th OVR + Shea Theodore
  • Bozak (CHI): Sharp (Basis with more going both ways as a cap dump deal for Chicago)
  • Reimer (EDM): 62nd OVR + 4th Round Pick
  • JVR (CLB): 8th OVR + ???
  • Gardiner (MIN): 2016 1st Round Pick
  • Polak (Salary Retained) (CHI): 2nd Round Pick (Could be part of that deal with Bozak)
  • McKegg: Re-Signs for 1 Year

**I'm not saying that all these will happen, but if these players are traded, that's where I think they'll go

Draft Picks
4. Noah Hanifin
24. Denis Guryanov
65. Dmytro Timashov
95. Connor Garland
107. Denis Godla
125. Lukas Vejdemo
155. Pavel Karnaukhov
185. Linus Olund

This is the first very good attempt I see, nice.
But you forgot the 11th overall pick we obtained from Florida (just trying to help).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I predict that players will drafted, players will be traded, and players will be signed

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs Offseason

-Kelly Mcrimmon Hired
-Paul Maclean assistant coach
-Leafs trade kessel for 11th overall,3rd rounder,Grimaldi,Jokinen
-11th overall for 15th overall, CGY 2nd (Calgary picks Crouse)
-Phaneuf stays
-Cannot move lupul so he stays
-Bozak for NSH 2016 2nd
-Polak for LA 2016 2nd
-Kadri Re-signed
-Bernier Re-signed
-Brewer re-signed (1 YEAR)
-Leafs draft Marner,Guryanov,Kylington
-Roy,Goc,Kennedy,Holzer signed (1 year)

Lineup looks something like this

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Jokinen-Roy-Panik
Komarov-Holland-Leivo
Goc-Carrick-Kennedy/Bailey
Kozun(in minors,swapped in quite often)

Reilly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Robidas
Brewer-Holzer
Loov (in minors, swap in quite often)

Bernier-Reimer

-Young players will be kept in minors to develop, However they are frequently brought up to the big club to get a feel
-Marlies will look really good

Last edited:

finnbalor*

I'll be optimistic...

4th OA Leafs draft Mitch Marner

Leafs trade Kessel for 5th OA, Semin, lottery protected 2016 1st, 2016 3rd and draft Hanifin

Leafs trade JVR for 6th OA draft Zacha

At 24th Leafs draft Kylington

Leafs sign Cody Franson to create a market to move Phaneuf for a package revolving around Ritchie

Leafs hire Dale Hunter as GM

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Ok, here goes . . . predictions . . .

At the Draft:
Draft at pick #4 - Mitch Marner

Florida trades pick #11 (and Brandon Pirri, Shane O'Brien, and their #102 pick) to the Maple Leafs for Phil Kessel and Toronto's #24 pick.

Draft at pick #11 - Matthew Barzal

Edmonton trades pick #16, Nikita Nikitin, and their 2016 2nd rounder to the Maple Leafs for Dion Phaneuf, Peter Holland and future considerations (Leafs retain 1.5 mil per year on Phaneuf's salary)

Draft at #16 - Paul Bittner
Draft at #65 - Rasmus Andersson
Draft at #95 - Nikolai Chebykin

OFF SEASON:

Toronto send Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul (with 1 mil salary retained yearly) to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly and a 2016 2nd round pick, and a conditional 2016 2nd round pick if Lupul plays more than 55 games.

Kadri re-signed for 3 years.

Bernier re-signed for 4 years.

James Reimer and Stephane Robidas traded to Edmonton for Viktor Fasth, 2016 2nd rounder and future considerations.

Brewer re-signed for 1 year, two way contract.

Done. Phew!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad