Proposal: Off-season moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Defense
I think the #1 move has to be an offensive D man. Campbell had a good regular season but what I saw from him during the playoffs… I’m not so sure anymore that he should be signed for another two years. That’s what he will want at least IMO. So maybe let him walk and throw that money at Yandle? Would be a great addition to the PP next to Ekblad. Also he isn’t afraid to shoot the puck like Campbell. Veteran guy and an offensive D, just what this team needs. Matheson proved he belongs which is great since Mitchell is gone.

Top line
Jagr gets another year, it’s too hard to replace his regular season production. He won’t bring much in the playoffs but if Barky and Huby can still keep developing maybe they can carry him and that line can be more effective next year. Also him accepting one year deals is huge.

Second line is set.

Bottom Six
Need a guy like Komarov on the third line, the revolving doors with Shaw, McKegg etc. was ok for a while but none of them can score. Basically all of them are energy, fourth line players. Maybe Crouse can fill that other wing but Bjugstad needs a playmaker and someone who can keep up with him. And it needs to be someone who isn’t tissue soft like Purcell, would be great to have a wrecking ball like Komarov.

Goal
I was pretty vocal about Luongo in the GDT and think I’ve seen enough from him, I just don’t believe he can get it done. Not clutch at all. But he isn’t going anywhere and probably will be the guy for the next 2 years at least so it’s a moot point to discuss. Monty was a great back-up this year, hopefully they can resign him cheap or get someone like Raanta. Luongo probably shouldn’t play more than 55 games.

Broadcast

Pots can take a hike!

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'm expecting most of the turnover to be from within.

I do expect Jagr to be re-signed due to him being a short term signing that provides chemistry for Huberdeau and Barkov.

Expect Bolland to be bought out.

The third line will probably be a huge audition among Crouse, Hawrlyuk, Rau, Howden, Shaw, Hunt, Brickley etc... Obviously, some have better chances than others.

Fourth line will consist of MacKenzie, Wilson, a loser from the competition above and Thornton.

Maybe Tallon will go out and sign some bottom 6 vets to a year or two deals. Guess it would depend on the price.

Even with some big salary coming off the books, a good amount of it will be used on Gudbranson and Trocheck. Then I'm sure tallon doesn't want any big UFA deals that could prevent re-signing guys like Huberdeau and Ekblad the following year.

Defensively, even if Campbell walks, I see the staff sticking with what they got/bringing in a 3rd pairing vet.

Kulikov-Gudbranson
Matheson-Ekblad
Kindl-Petrovic

Then we can always re-sign Kampfer or go with a new face.

They'll probably re-sign Al. Goaltending "set".

Slightly OT
I wonder if they'll make any changes to the FSN crew or the arena crew, or stick with who they got.

From Goldie, Potvin, Randy, Craig to the PA and anthem dude(who was awol for game 5).

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Agree about Yandle. Exactly who we need and on the left side.

I can see Tallon giving Campbell two years because Campbell is one of his guys though.

Bottom six is manageable. For the playoffs we need more grit that can play defense and shut down the opposing team's top line. I'd add Wilson to the mix.

Be grateful for Potvin. I had to listen to the Islander's analyst who is so bad. He gets everyone's name wrong, doesn't know who is on the ice, makes Potvin look objective. Complains about everything.

Luo is going to decline but we'll have to disagree about his play this series.

And a new special teams coach. That's the biggest change to be made, imo.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
For the 3rd line they need more speed and physical play, but don't turn it into a defensive line. We can roll 3 scoring lines with 3 centermen (B,B,T) so take that and run. We get say a 3rd line of Crouse-Bjugs-Rau or something with Tro we are golden on offense.

4th line needs to be more mobile and take the defensive part of the game.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Defense.

I think the only decision to be made is Campbell. Matheson and Ekblad is the future. Absolutely the Future. That is your top pairing moving forward OR you do Kulikov Ekblad and Matheson Gudbranson.

Campbell is a big decision. Does Petrovic get moved or kept? Who knows, but the only decision is that 3rd pairing. Campbell as a 3rd pairing is decent, but he had a HORRIBLE outting these playoffs.

Jagr should get re-signed. However, I think he should play with Bjugstad and if Crouse is Ready. Jokinen Trocheck Smith probably stays together, but we all know year to year it is different.

Flash - Weiss - Versteeg worked for one year. Will Jokinen Trocheck Smith work again? Maybe. But Jagr should get 2nd line minutes (ESPECIALLY in the Playoffs). Jagr should get a year of massaged playtime in my opinion.

I'd go

Huberdeau Barkov X
Jokinen Bjugstad Smith
Crouse Trocheck Jagr
Wilson Mac Shaw

Thornton
X
X

Matheson Ekblad
Kulikov Gudbranson
X Petrovic

As for Goaltending. 2017 is the year to get a goalie. No one is available this year. 2017, Elliot, Allen, Bishop are available. We have to wait.

Luongo was good this series (except game one). Did he let it bad goals, yes, but it shouldnt have gone that far.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/

Ladd, Backes,Eriksson, Perron, Stamkos are your notable Forwards,

Campbell and Yandle are your notable D

I'd love Eriksson on this team for the right price. If we get Yandle, then we wont be able to afford someone up front.

If you go Yandle then your pairings are

Yandle Ekblad
Matheson Gudbranson
Kulikov Petrovic

That is an elite group.

If you go Eriksson then
Huberdeau Barkov Jagr or Eriksson
Jokinen Trocheck Smith
Crouse Bjugstand Jagr or Eriksson

Elite top 9.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I'm expecting most of the turnover to be from within.

I do expect Jagr to be re-signed due to him being a short term signing that provides chemistry for Huberdeau and Barkov.

Expect Bolland to be bought out.

The third line will probably be a huge audition among Crouse, Hawrlyuk, Rau, Howden, Shaw, Hunt, Brickley etc... Obviously, some have better chances than others.

Fourth line will consist of MacKenzie, Wilson, a loser from the competition above and Thornton.

Maybe Tallon will go out and sign some bottom 6 vets to a year or two deals. Guess it would depend on the price.

Even with some big salary coming off the books, a good amount of it will be used on Gudbranson and Trocheck. Then I'm sure tallon doesn't want any big UFA deals that could prevent re-signing guys like Huberdeau and Ekblad the following year.

Defensively, even if Campbell walks, I see the staff sticking with what they got/bringing in a 3rd pairing vet.

Kulikov-Gudbranson
Matheson-Ekblad
Kindl-Petrovic

Then we can always re-sign Kampfer or go with a new face.

They'll probably re-sign Al. Goaltending "set".

Slightly OT
I wonder if they'll make any changes to the FSN crew or the arena crew, or stick with who they got.

From Goldie, Potvin, Randy, Craig to the PA and anthem dude(who was awol for game 5).

I think Kampfer is still signed for another year and I would rather have him in the lineup than Kindl.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Upgrade Campbell with Yandle.

The best thing to come out of the playoffs is Mike Matheson. Kid is more than ready for the prime time. Makes one of mitchell or campbell replaceable. Not both. Need an upgrade.

Rau and Crouse Third line wingers for Bjugs please.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Purcell and Hudler need to go.

Campbell will test UFA or retire.

Bolland will be bought out. Savard comes off books

Jagr will likely retire.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Purcell and Hudler need to go.

Campbell will test UFA or retire.

Bolland will be bought out. Savard comes off books

Jagr will likely retire

You think so?
He struggled in the playoffs, but was very good in the regular season.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
i'm certain hultström would fit nicely with petro. that guy just know how to put the puck in the net.

i'm also well aware of all your skepticism (which is not unfounded) against him but it htink he'll be great for us. he got what almost everyone on our blueline lacks: - a scoring touch.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I feel we need some big changes. In reality we need to upgrade over Jagr to something younger. What is he gets injured? We playing Shaw there?

Bottom 6 needs to be rewamped and Tallon knows it. I just fear the revamp will only mean more rookies on the team. We need to be able to roll out 4 lines

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
We're still about 3-4 years away from seriously contending for a few reasons. The team is built that way. By then most of the young talent is supposed to be in their prime, Lu will be replaced, and Gallant will probably be gone. It takes time.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
We're still about 3-4 years away from seriously contending for a few reasons. The team is built that way. By then most of the young talent is supposed to be in their prime, Lu will be replaced, and Gallant will probably be gone. It takes time.

Depends on who takes up the rest of the roster spots.

Eriksson? Another Youngster? Who knows.

Luongo will be replaced in 2017, since that is when the goalies will be available.

big decision on Campbell is coming up. I think a Yandle would be a great addition.

Ducks also WILL let go a D-man, maybe Vatanen?

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Depends on who takes up the rest of the roster spots.

Eriksson? Another Youngster? Who knows.

Luongo will be replaced in 2017, since that is when the goalies will be available.

big decision on Campbell is coming up. I think a Yandle would be a great addition.

Ducks also WILL let go a D-man, maybe Vatanen?

I wish LA weren't close on Lucic. He'd be perfect for the first line for now.

I think Lu has two more years as the 1A.

I think we should just sign Campbell for 3 (maybe 4 if he requires it) more years.

Vatanen would be great.

The D in 3-4 years is hopefully...

Kulikov-Ek
Matheson-Guds
McCoshen-Petro

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I wish LA weren't close on Lucic. He'd be perfect for the first line for now.

I think Lu has two more years as the 1A.

I think we should just sign Campbell for 3 (maybe 4 if he requires it) more years.

Vatanen would be great.

The D in 3-4 years is hopefully...

Kulikov-Ek
Matheson-Guds
McCoshen-Petro

Campbell for 3 is too long. Unless he signs for really cheap each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad