OT: Off-season: Let's Talk about...Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Have you read Inherent Vice? I'm thinking of reading that one next/soon because Paul Thomas Anderson is making it into a movie.

Yeah! It's a fun read. think I like it better than Lot 49. Wasn't huge on the ending but it's still funny and real enjoyable.

So pumped for the movie!

I've read The Crying of Lot 49 and Inherent Vice and liked them both. Inherent Vice is set in 1969-1970 and the protagonist is a chronic pot-smoking private eye in LA. It was much more readable then Lot 49 and has been reviewed as 'Pynchon-Lite'. It's not a very long book either.

This. Very accessible but not exactly 'Pynchon' but that's not a bad thing at all.

Here's a great 'trailer' for the book voiced by the man himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2daNrsfwDgY

and his appearance on the Simpsons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0588DtHJA

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I'd skip No Man's Land, TBH. I mean, it's good, but there's better stuff out there.

Surprised you didn't like Hush, that's a great one. Killing Joke isn't very long, but it's a classic. Highly recommend it.

Try picking up the first TPBs from the Batman and Batman & Robin new 52 runs. You'll probably really enjoy them. If so, you can branch out into the other titles. I think the 3rd tpbs are coming out soon.

Gotham by gaslight is another great batman story. Batman vs. jack the ripper. 'nuff said.

I'd also avoid arkham asylum. I find it incredibly overrated. I also hate grant morrison.

Three words that go very well together ;)

Seriously, I don't get all the accolades this guy gets. Not saying he's bad, but some people see more into what he writes than there actually is.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
If you're in Montreal any time soon, let me know. You could drop by the shop and we can see if anything interests you.

Bloumeister is the only hf'er to stop by, so far, so it's not like you have to measure up to much. :sarcasm:

I doubt WS is 6'4" :sarcasm:

Oh, in that case I'm sure to be top2. Though Blou and I do have some sort of a bromance going on, I guess he wouldn't mind being behind me after all.

You wish you had a bromance with me :sarcasm:

Reality check: whenever I'm involved in something, the best you can hope for is 2nd place :nod:

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Unbearable Lightness was a really good book from what I remember which is very little except there was lots of sex.

There was indeed. Almost all of his books have lots of it. The thing is, it's mostly really weird sex... At some point I recall a guy screaming he was Bobby Fisher, the chess player, while doing it... so yeah, there's a lot of it, but it isn't there randomly :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad