TSN: Off-Season game plan segment, OILERS edition

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Edmonton Oilers haven't made the playoffs in eight seasons, and it appeared that they might be ready to take a step forward in 2013-2014, but they fell flat once again.

Misleading and inaccurate

Off-Season Game Plan looks at an Oilers team that ought to be feeling a sense of urgency, as they have top-end talent approaching their prime years and need to get on the winning track quickly.

Oh yes I forgot players hit their prime years at 23 years of age. With this nonsense in the opening two paragraphs I've lost the will to read this crap but maybe I can power through and he'll say something worth reading.

Looks to me like you're just hatin for the sake of hatin.

That was a pretty accurate article.

That article pretty much nailed this team. 5 years of rebuilding and still a long, long ways from being a playoff team.

The only thing they didnt address was the long term mismanagement due to irresponsible ownership.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Where we're still in the ****ing draft lottery, you mean?

I think 2016 is the year where our team can legitimately take a step forward. Our D will still be a bit too young but at least they will be out of diapers, so to speak. Petry if he is still with us will actually be an experienced NHL defender. All our first overalls will be entering their prime.

All non playoff teams are lottery now technically but if you mean bottom 5 I sincerely doubt/hope that will not be the case in the 2016-2017 season. 2014-2015 is a write off with Eakins at the helm and our Defense in diapers. 2015-2016 we should be Eakins free and matured enough to make some headway. Maybe not exactly playoff worthy but closer. 2016-2017 I will again be massively disappointed if we do not make the playoffs.

This is my revised timeline after this years disastrous showing. And until the Oilers start fighting for a playoff spot again I will not be going to any live games or buying any merchandise.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
I think 2016 is the year where our team can legitimately take a step forward. Our D will still be a bit too young but at least they will be out of diapers, so to speak. Petry if he is still with us will actually be an experienced NHL defender. All our first overalls will be entering their prime.

All non playoff teams are lottery now technically but if you mean bottom 5 I sincerely doubt/hope that will not be the case in the 2016-2017 season. 2014-2015 is a write off with Eakins at the helm and our Defense in diapers. 2015-2016 we should be Eakins free and matured enough to make some headway. Maybe not exactly playoff worthy but closer. 2016-2017 I will again be massively disappointed if we do not make the playoffs.

This is my revised timeline after this years disastrous showing. And until the Oilers start fighting for a playoff spot again I will not be going to any live games or buying any merchandise.

Is it even reasonable to believe that the D will take a step forward? We have two NHL quality defenceman ready to play. Klefbom and Marincin need to be in the AHL, its just what smart teams do with young players. Nurse? Another year of junior or two years in the AHL, maybe a cup of coffee here or there. The likelihood for this team to take a step back or remain idle defensively is high.

They desperately need a game breaker on the back end and if they don't get one soon? Rebuild the Rebuild. Its like they're wondering down the proverbial dark tunnel and cant tell if the light is the end or an oncoming train.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Articles from outside sources, and panels like these, always have a very simplistic view of the team. It's like they are giving a cole's notes version for outsiders.

There is WAY more depth of understanding of this team on this board.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
We're in desperate need of some useful defenseman, far more than upgrading Gagner as our 2 C IMO. My guess is that if we do trade Sam, he'll go to a team that has a really good defense and system and he'll all of a sudden be a legit and useful 2nd line center that we regret trading. I'd target the Nucks and Sharks for trades as I think both could see some useful dmen traded.

Vancouver (have 5 guys that would, sadly, likely be our best dman):
Bieksa (my top choice)
Edler
Hamhuis
Garrison
Hamhuis
Tanev

San Jose (first three likely better than anything I have and the last one is a guy I think could end up being a number 1 - still some untapped potential there and ready to breakout IMO):
Boyle
Demers
Vlasic
Irwin

I think, quite literally, we need to add two top pairing dmen, knocking everyone down a pair. Adding that, and nothing more (let's say... Tanev and Demers to be conservative - the rest have NTCs...) and I think we're a playoff team. Upgrading 3rd/4th line shouldn't be terribly hard if look hard enough.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
ROR + Stalock make my offseason requests.

Love Scrvns and Fsth

can't bank on it alone.

edit;

3 LD rookies/sophomores coming up maybe one of them + gets it done.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
ROR + Stalock make my offseason requests.

Love Scrvns and Fsth

No teams willingly go into a season with 3 goalies on their roster. There is zero point in signing Stalock at this point. I also dont see a single reason why he would make the decision to sign here when the Oilers already have 2 goalies in place. There are teams that actually need a back up that he would look at I'm sure. And besides, why would he leave the Sharks? They drafted him, they developed him and it looks like he has a good chance to start a decent number of games next year on one of the better teams in the league.

There is A) Zero chance the Oilers would even look at Stalock, and B) Even if they did, there is zero chance he'd consider coming to Edmonton to play behind Scrivens and Fasth.

If your concern is that Scrivens/Fasth isn't a reliable duo, than that is cool. I actually agree with that. I think we are going to run into the same issues next year as we did this year. But if the Oilers were to look at another goalie I would only be interested in someone who is an actual proven starter. It's been a long time since we've been able to say we have a legit #1. We still don't. Stalock wouldn't be that guy either.

I think Stastny would be my big hope that's got a chance in free agency.

I'd love Stastny. I can't see a chance he signs here. He's probably going to be the most sought after free agent this summer and there will be a lot of teams looking for a chance to sign him. There is nothing the Oilers can offer him that better teams than us wont also offer. Included boat loads of money.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I think Stastny would be my big hope that's got a chance in free agency.
Chances are that he's really keen on staying where he is. It's an up and coming team and he's a huge part of what's going on there. I think he'd be a fool to go and try to adapt to someone else's system and play in a slightly different role with different players right now. He's riding the wave up, no time to rock the boat.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
He doesn't get respect because his team is garbage and he didn't make team Canada.

Mostly because his team is garbage.

Versus the Eastern conference.

We were 4-3-1 .563% against without Gagner.
That is really not garbage.

1-5 .167% without Hall; Perron; Gagner.
We need to keep Hall; Perron; Gagner healthy!

10-5-3 .639 with a healthy team

Versus the western Conference.

We were 6-2-3 .682 versus CGY; NSH; WPG
That is really not garbage.

We were 2-19-2 .130 versus the rest of the west with Dubnyk; Labarbera; and Bryz in net.
This is real bad.

I know lets replace our goalies!
Oh wait!
We did!

with Scrivens and Fasth we were 6-3 .666 versus ANA; VCR; PHX; MIN
Once again this is not garbage.

We lacked the 2nd and 3rd line scoring depth to compete with
SJS; STL; LAK; ANA; BOS.
2-9-0 .182%
this is not good!

we did not play DAL or CHI with the new goalies.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
We're in desperate need of some useful defenseman, far more than upgrading Gagner as our 2 C IMO. My guess is that if we do trade Sam, he'll go to a team that has a really good defense and system and he'll all of a sudden be a legit and useful 2nd line center that we regret trading. I'd target the Nucks and Sharks for trades as I think both could see some useful dmen traded.

Vancouver (have 5 guys that would, sadly, likely be our best dman):
Bieksa (my top choice)
Edler
Hamhuis
Garrison
Hamhuis
Tanev

San Jose (first three likely better than anything I have and the last one is a guy I think could end up being a number 1 - still some untapped potential there and ready to breakout IMO):
Boyle
Demers
Vlasic
Irwin

I think, quite literally, we need to add two top pairing dmen, knocking everyone down a pair. Adding that, and nothing more (let's say... Tanev and Demers to be conservative - the rest have NTCs...) and I think we're a playoff team. Upgrading 3rd/4th line shouldn't be terribly hard if look hard enough.

Martin Marincin 1st comp 3rd/4th teamates 2.01 EVGA/60 and 3rd best at stopping scoring chances for tough comp Dmen.

So who on your list is better than that!

Are you always this wrong?

LIKELY!:laugh:

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Martin Marincin 1st comp 3rd/4th teamates 2.01 EVGA/60 and 3rd best at stopping scoring chances for tough comp Dmen.

Hey mr Corsi, you were pimping Dubnyk all over the boards last year as a starting god using your stat book , also seen you using Jeremy Blains numbers in junior as a sure fire offensive dman. Are you always this wrong?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Every year you use advanced stats to try and make some Oiler player seem like they are a top player in the league and every year the Oilers suck and the player you pimp out as a top player in the league reverts to the mean and ends up not even being close to what you say they are.

You were arguing Marincin was better than Weber on the main boards a couple days ago were you not?

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site

I find your post offensive, terribly uninformed, arrogant and short sighted. I do not think Marincin is anywhere near being a capable #1 dman yet just because of his corsi rating. Sheltered minutes over a small sample size for an NHL rookie does not equal multiple years of NHL success.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

You've got to use advanced stats wisely. In this scenario, it's not wise.

To suggest any of those 5 Canuck D are better than Marincin, especially considering Marincin's small sample size, is a tad ridiculous.

I'd take Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis or Tanev any day right now. Garrison I could skip on.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
You've got to use advanced stats wisely. In this scenario, it's not wise.

To suggest any of those 5 Canuck D are better than Marincin, especially considering Marincin's small sample size, is a tad ridiculous.

I'd take Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis or Tanev any day right now. Garrison I could skip on.
Garrison has a Shea Weber like shot, it would change the look of our pp quite a bit. Safe to say that the Oilers have some defenseman just as weak as Garrison, I think he'd be a good addition here.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Hey mr Corsi, you were pimping Dubnyk all over the boards last year as a starting god using your stat book , also seen you using Jeremy Blains numbers in junior as a sure fire offensive dman. Are you always this wrong?

Dubnyk had a .920 sv% last year and improved it every year prior to this.

Sometimes these things happen

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Klefbom and Marincin need to be in the AHL, its just what smart teams do with young players.

Next year will be 5 years from the time Marincin was drafted, that's pretty much the standard incubating time for defensemen. If Marincin is a full time NHLer next season I don't see a problem with that. If I recall that's about the same kind of time frame that Petry took as well. It's pretty common. Be 4 years from Klefbom being drafted next season as well so he should be getting close to being NHL ready next season as well. The Oilers have absolutely rushed some players, but I don't think those two are examples of it. I think they've handled their NHL playing time pretty much exactly as they should.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
This team ignored defense for way too long, I seriously hope we draft Ekblad.

That's why people are complaining that they took Musil over some of the forwards in the RNH draft year? That's why they took Nurse over Nichuskin last year? This team has drafted a lot of defensemen since they started this whole rebuild, why not give them time to develop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad