TSN: Off-Season game plan segment, OILERS edition

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
The Edmonton Oilers haven't made the playoffs in eight seasons, and it appeared that they might be ready to take a step forward in 2013-2014, but they fell flat once again.

Misleading and inaccurate

Off-Season Game Plan looks at an Oilers team that ought to be feeling a sense of urgency, as they have top-end talent approaching their prime years and need to get on the winning track quickly.

Oh yes I forgot players hit their prime years at 23 years of age. With this nonsense in the opening two paragraphs I've lost the will to read this crap but maybe I can power through and he'll say something worth reading.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Edmonton Oilers haven't made the playoffs in eight seasons, and it appeared that they might be ready to take a step forward in 2013-2014, but they fell flat once again.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at an Oilers team that ought to be feeling a sense of urgency, as they have top-end talent approaching their prime years and need to get on the winning track quickly.

Oh yes I forgot players hit their prime years at 23 years of age. With this nonsense in the opening two paragraphs I've lost the will to read this crap but maybe I can power through and he'll say something worth reading.

Most offensive players do have their most productive years early in their career.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450894

Hall doesnt get any respect.

Discuss the overview

What's up with the bolded part?

There was an issue with his possession numbers, and he recorded points on a ridiculous percentage (53 points on 54 goals) of 5-on-5 goals for, but Taylor Hall is a superstar that isn't regarded as such because the Oilers have yet to win. Over the past two seasons, as a 21 and 22-year-old, Hall has averaged 1.08 points per game.

Since 2000, the list of forwards to record a higher points-per-game at that age includes Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos and Nicklas Backstrom. Hall's point production is better than Patrick Kane, Joe Thornton and John Tavares at the same age, so he's in top-tier company and if his team manages to control the puck more consistently, the numbers can still get better.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
What's up with the bolded part?

I should have sid...the article points out how Hall gets no respect. I was saying a point of the article was in fact that Hall isnt given the credit he deserves. It was a part of the rticle that stuck out to me. Reading my statement i can see i was very vague and rushed in communicating it.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
He doesn't get respect because his team is garbage and he didn't make team Canada.

Mostly because his team is garbage.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Cullen's Oilers roster

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yak
Fiddler-Gordon-Moss
Hendricks-Arcobello-Joensuu
Gazdic/Horak

Ference-Robidas
Marincin-Petry
Nikitin-Schultz
Larsen

Scrivens
Fasth

Yuck.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Cullen's Oilers roster

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yak
Fiddler-Gordon-Moss
Gazdic/Horak

Ference-Robidas
Marincin-Petry
Nikitin-Schultz
Larsen

Scrivens
Fasth

Yuck.

Dat second line tho....
Dat third line tho....
That fourth line tho....
That first pairing tho...
That third pairing tho....

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Just looking up a few players off the top of my head
First I looked up the league's best goal scorer
Alex Ovechkin's 3 most productive seasons: 22, 23, 24
Then I looked up the highest scoring active player
Jaromir Jagr's most productive season: 23
Then I looked at a few of the big names in the playoffs
David Krejci's most productive season: 22
Brad Richard's most productive season: 25
Rick Nash's most productive season: 24
Zach Parise's most productive season: 24

The evidence is pretty damning

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Just looking up a few players off the top of my head
First I looked up the league's best goal scorer
Alex Ovechkin's 3 most productive seasons: 22, 23, 24
Then I looked up the highest scoring active player
Jaromir Jagr's most productive season: 23
Then I looked at a few of the big names in the playoffs
David Krejci's most productive season: 22
Brad Richard's most productive season: 25
Rick Nash's most productive season: 24
Zach Parise's most productive season: 24

The evidence is pretty damning

Most productive =/= best
There's a reason players' primes are said to be mid/late 20s for forwards, and a bit later for Dmen. It's because their all round games are better and their overall impact on the game is greater.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Cullen's Oilers roster

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yak
Fiddler-Gordon-Moss
Gazdic/Horak

Ference-Robidas
Marincin-Petry
Nikitin-Schultz
Larsen

Scrivens
Fasth

Yuck.

I don't mind this roster...with the exception of RNH/Gagner as the top 2 centers...it's time for Gags to move on

-upgraded the defense
-upgraded the bottom 6

not sure why people hate it

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I don't mind this roster...with the exception of RNH/Gagner as the top 2 centers...it's time for Gags to move on

-upgraded the defense
-upgraded the bottom 6

not sure why people hate it

Because it doesn't do nearly enough to help the team. That roster has such a small chance of making the playoffs it's scary. Hall/Nuge/Eberle/Yakupov having career seasons is pretty much the only way it would happen.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Fiddler, Moss, Robidas and Nikitin would all be good additions. It would be unrealistic to expect any more/anything better through free agency imo.

Make those additions, then maybe have MacT make a big splash in a trade... could end up not being not too bad... :help:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think that line up is reasonable to expect for next year.

I think it's also reasonable to expect another bottom 10 or even bottom 5 finish.

That second line will get eaten alive.
The third line will never score.
The fourth line won't even see the other teams zone.

The first line may cost us McDavid/Eichel. May... if they find consistency.
If they falter we're gonna draft high again next year.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I like that roster quite a bit.. i'm also a huge fan of Robidas though. I agree on the Gagner front but we definitely need a guy that will hit people and stand up for the guys in the top 6.. in the mold of a hartnell or something.. Mike Richards would be an unreal addition

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I think that line up is reasonable to expect for next year.

I think it's also reasonable to expect another bottom 10 or even bottom 5 finish.

That second line will get eaten alive.
The third line will never score.
The fourth line won't even see the other teams zone.

The first line may cost us McDavid/Eichel. May... if they find consistency.
If they falter we're gonna draft high again next year.

The third line wouldn't be out there to score. It would probably do a great job of sheltering the first two lines and hopefully not giving up goals.

I'd also be really surprised if that fourth line ends up being a thing... Hendricks fits, but I don't think Arco will get much time, and I can't see any reason for Joensuu to still be here.

I'd also bet on Gagner and Yakupov improving (which shouldn't be hard to do based on their seasons); but also Perron coming back down a bit. Maybe they end up with Bennett in there instead and Gagner moved? Although that might not make things much better for a couple years.

Issues are still on the defense, as expected, but that's a realistic enough projection... MacTavish wants his #1 guy but he won't get him. I'd bank on one of Klefbom/Nurse/Ekblad to be in there instead of an NHL body as well.

At least the goaltending got fixed.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Because it doesn't do nearly enough to help the team. That roster has such a small chance of making the playoffs it's scary. Hall/Nuge/Eberle/Yakupov having career seasons is pretty much the only way it would happen.

Not sure what you're expecting this summer in terms of players coming in but all these guys have a proven track record of contributing..not sure how adding proven vets hurt us

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Cullen's Oilers roster

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yak
Fiddler-Gordon-Moss
Gazdic/Horak

Ference-Robidas
Marincin-Petry
Nikitin-Schultz
Larsen

Scrivens
Fasth

Yuck.

Another year of Gagner as the 2C? Yuck. Lottery pick coming up with that lineup. Barf.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Pretty stupid to say that the Oilers goaltending has been addressed with the addition of two goalies who have 109 career gp between the both of them. If they both fall flat on their faces next season noone outside of Edm will even remember them in 5 years.

I agree that their defense sucks, and lol at how MacT wants to bring in 1 high-end d-man to turn things around. The Oilers did that with Pronger on a team that was already much better than these Oilers and the Pronger team barely squeaked into the playoffs.

The blueline, however, is a prime area of concern, and it's not easily rectified. "We need a few pieces that can really move this thing along," MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun, "And in my mind I'd like to add a very high end defenceman."
This thing is moving along MacT, it couldn't have a much more pronounced slope to it. I think what you mean is that you need to do a complete 180. Idjit.

Keep looking everywhere but your golden boy coach MacT. :banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad