Speculation: Off-Season Discussion (mid-June to late-June version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
5'4" and 284 lbs ...

WTF?

I imagine he's built like this

f48e81ef3251db9551a4b4d23f8207a0.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You are right the Flyers haven't fixed anything yet. We have to have faith in the defense prospects being elite when the time comes. If they aren't, it really won't matter what the Flyers do. So I put that same faith in the Flyers being able to recognize high end center talent too and if they feel one of the guys at the top will turn out to be elite, I say go get him.

Nothing is probably going to happen but I do believe the Flyers will have to make a bold move for an young elite center soon.

Soon...yes. Now...no. Put it this way.

In 2 years if this question is asked, I 100% agree. By then our young D is getting settled and we have a clearer picture of our needs. Kids like Sanheim, Provy, Morin, Konecny, Lindblom, NAK are all on the team.

We also have a nice pipeline of forward prospects in the way hopefully from this draft as well as our D still with Myers, Friedman, others who we draft on the way. And we have the goaltending pipeline in place too.

So now, all our pipelines are full AND we still have AT MINIMUM, 5 top 6 forwards (assuming we just stand pat) and Lindblom, Konecny, maybe NAK too. Our top 9 is looking very good and the d and g are set.

THEN GO OUT AND ADD MISSING PIECES, OR TRADE PICKS, FUTURES, A FEW PROSPECTS TO PUSH US OVER THE TOP AND ADD SCORING IF NEED BE. AT THAT POINT, GO AFTER A YONG STUD TO EVENTUALLY TAKE OVER GIROUX.

I 100% want a young F stud. But we don't want to remove what D pipeline we just built to do it. Wait another year since we are waiting on the rest of the prospects anyways, and use picks we are using in 2017/18 etc to add a stud....if we have not gotten lucky in the meantime.

Plus, if we EVER have too many good D, it will be quite easy to trade one for forward help.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Soon...yes. Now...no. Put it this way.

In 2 years if this question is asked, I 100% agree. By then our young D is getting settled and we have a clearer picture of our needs. Kids like Sanheim, Provy, Morin, Konecny, Lindblom, NAK are all on the team.

We also have a nice pipeline of forward prospects in the way hopefully from this draft as well as our D still with Myers, Friedman, others who we draft on the way. And we have the goaltending pipeline in place too.

So now, all our pipelines are full AND we still have AT MINIMUM, 5 top 6 forwards (assuming we just stand pat) and Lindblom, Konecny, maybe NAK too. Our top 9 is looking very good and the d and g are set.

THEN GO OUT AND ADD MISSING PIECES, OR TRADE PICKS, FUTURES, A FEW PROSPECTS TO PUSH US OVER THE TOP AND ADD SCORING IF NEED BE. AT THAT POINT, GO AFTER A YONG STUD TO EVENTUALLY TAKE OVER GIROUX.

I 100% want a young F stud. But we don't want to remove what D pipeline we just built to do it. Wait another year since we are waiting on the rest of the prospects anyways, and use picks we are using in 2017/18 etc to add a stud....if we have not gotten lucky in the meantime.

Plus, if we EVER have too many good D, it will be quite easy to trade one for forward help.

and this is why buyin low on Yakupov (single pick) could be a great move.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Stars apparently listening on Sharp, looking to patch up their ailing D-corps. He'll be 35 in December but can still produce on the LW better than any of our LWs (Schenn's permanent position pending)

Would you take 1 year at $5.9m of Sharp (probably a 1LW for us) for the ability to unleash A-Mac's contract (and probably a sweetener like a 2nd or Hagg?)

Still unlikely I know, but we'd have to send Cap back to make this worthwhile. As much as I love Sharp, I wouldn't offer up MDZ for him. Schultz? Rights to Medvedev? Streit? Absolutely.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
and this is why buyin low on Yakupov (single pick) could be a great move.

100% agree. No issue taking that chance. Especially with expansion, all it means is that instead of Laughton or Cousins being exposed, both are.

And if we did add Yak for say a 2nd, Konecny is off sure sent back to Jr to get stronger and then the following year, should have a bigger impact.

Stick Yak on RE and tell him to shoot every time G or Voracek pass to him. And as a LH shot, he is always set up for the one timer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Vanek getting bought out.

That stupid **** Carchidi wouldn't shut up about him for months when he was expected to be traded. He constantly said the Flyers needed to get him. Now look.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
MacDonald is not a cap crusher, Hextall will not be giving away picks to move him. He'll just dump him in the AHL

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Let's say

48th overall for Yakupov
Streit and a 3rd for Sharp
Read for a middle round pick or prospect (for cap space)

Draft Bellows and Asplund.

Sign Nielsen for 3rd line duties.

Sign me up.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Let's say

48th overall for Yakupov
Streit and a 3rd for Sharp
Read for a middle round pick or prospect (for cap space)

Draft Bellows and Asplund.

Sign Nielsen for 3rd line duties.

Sign me up.

Nielsen would be damn pricy 3rd line center, he's not looking for that, imo. He will demand a lot. Where do we get another 1st round pick?

We should stick to Read for next year, and we will. He's not going to be traded. No market for him at this point.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Read + #52 for Yak could work since ignored gives the Oilers a 3rd line player who can actually play some defense. And of course it allows cap hits to be more balanced.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Nielsen would be damn pricy 3rd line center, he's not looking for that, imo. He will demand a lot. Where do we get another 1st round pick?

We should stick to Read for next year, and we will. He's not going to be traded. No market for him at this point.

I am a tool. Mixed up Kuokannen with Asplund :laugh: Sry.

Hmmm, did Nielsen develop that much? Damn, he'd be great to take off some of the defensive burden from G and Coots.

Read would be dispensable because if we'd ever get Sharp, Yak and resign Schenn there is only so much cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad