Speculation: Off-Season Discussion (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
1) on Dubois -- I would be thrilled if we trade up a few spots to steal Keller. He's the real deal.

2) on adding a B-C level free agent -- if we can trade Streit and Read (even after signing Gudas and Schenn) we are around 13m cap space with Vinny retiring... and that puts us in Stamkos territory. I have absolutely ZERO issues overpaying 11 mill for Stamkos, a player like him doesn't come around very often in free agency. If I'm Hexy, I'm doing everything possible to clear cap space and make Stamkos an offer he cant refuse. Read to Buffalo, Streit to Arizona for picks.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
1) on Dubois -- I would be thrilled if we trade up a few spots to steal Keller. He's the real deal.

2) on adding a B-C level free agent -- if we can trade Streit and Read (even after signing Gudas and Schenn) we are around 13m cap space with Vinny retiring... and that puts us in Stamkos territory. I have absolutely ZERO issues overpaying 11 mill for Stamkos, a player like him doesn't come around very often in free agency. If I'm Hexy, I'm doing everything possible to clear cap space and make Stamkos an offer he cant refuse. Read to Buffalo, Streit to Arizona for picks.

but will he be injury prone? if hexy is able to get him, he's got to have an out built in if injuries happen alot. if that isn't included during the contract talks, then pass on stamkos.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What other context do you need? It tracked every player with an ACL injury over a span of five years and noted worse performance and shorter careers after the injury. That doesn't mean Ghost is doomed, but again, it is something that I would consider in acquiring a player with that injury. I'm not saying it makes him untradeable. I'm not saying we need to get rid of him. I'm not saying he will be finished next year. I'm simply saying that a serious injury is something to consider when acquiring a player, especially one in which you'd be giving up a big asset. But I guess it isn't. ACL injuries do not matter. Noted.

More than an unnamed group of players between the average age of 27 from 2006-2010 who suffered an ACL injury. What about the quality of player or if the player suffered other injuries? There's other factors that need to be considered in determining the reasoning for that outcome. I never said they don't matter but when a player comes back from it & plays at the level that Gostisbehere did it's not really that big of a deal just like any other injury.

Malkin would have just missed this as he got his in 2011. He completely tore both his ACL & MCL (which was worse than Gostisbehere by a good margin). Between that & numerous other injuries he's well on his way to a 15+ year HoF career. Morgan Rielly's another one who tore his ACL & has been doing fine.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I know preds, would match an offer for forseberg, I really would like to have him here. If nothing I still like to see hexy make an offer. Make a high offer, Preds may wind up matching a higher amount than expected and may put them up against the cap to sign others they were hoping for.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Would I be the only one not thrilled to give up a 60 point/30 goal guy in Simmonds and a top 4 quality RHD in Gudas for Dubois?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
More than an unnamed group of players between the average age of 27 from 2006-2010 who suffered an ACL injury. What about the quality of player or if the player suffered other injuries? There's other factors that need to be considered in determining the reasoning for that outcome. I never said they don't matter but when a player comes back from it & plays at the level that Gostisbehere did it's not really that big of a deal just like any other injury.

Malkin would have just missed this as he got his in 2011. He completely tore both his ACL & MCL (which was worse than Gostisbehere by a good margin). Between that & numerous other injuries he's well on his way to a 15+ year HoF career. Morgan Rielly's another one who tore his ACL & has been doing fine

What don't you get here? I am not saying that Ghost is ruined because of his ACL. I know that it is not a guaranteed career ender. But it certainly something that you have to address when talking about his value. If you have two players of equal skill/age/potential/whatever and one tore his ACL and missed an entire season and the other didn't, which one are you taking?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Would I be the only one not thrilled to give up a 60 point/30 goal guy in Simmonds and a top 4 quality RHD in Gudas for Dubois?

No, it's way too much, especially for a kid who was a long way from being dominant at the WJC 18.

Dubois needs another year in Junior most likely, the Flyers without Simmonds and Gudas are not a playoff team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm simply saying that a serious injury is something to consider when acquiring a player, especially one in which you'd be giving up a big asset.

Then go start a thread on the trade forum asking what it would take to get Morgan Rielly, and be sure to emphasize you expect a discount because of his ACL injury.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What don't you get here? I am not saying that Ghost is ruined because of his ACL. I know that it is not a guaranteed career ender. But it certainly something that you have to address when talking about his value. If you have two players of equal skill/age/potential/whatever and one tore his ACL and missed an entire season and the other didn't, which one are you taking?

I'm telling you it's not really that big of deal as you're making it.

I'm taking the 23 year old who just finished the year as a Calder finalist & was on pace to score 20+ goals & 55+ points in a full season from the backend.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA

As much as I'd love stamkos getting him is unrealistic for the future. Ghost is going to need a raise, we will eventually need to pay prov morin sanhiem ect ect.

If we could get rid of read and streit like you said and manage to sign ghost to a simmonds type deal early. Awesome go get him but never for 11 mil. Giroux money at best. Even then you need to still worry about future cap.

That's why I'm still on the boedeker and eriksson train. Even okposso. They will demand 5-6 mil but 5 year term is something we can work with.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
As much as I'd love stamkos getting him is unrealistic for the future. Ghost is going to need a raise, we will eventually need to pay prov morin sanhiem ect ect.

If we could get rid of read and streit like you said and manage to sign ghost to a simmonds type deal early. Awesome go get him but never for 11 mil. Giroux money at best. Even then you need to still worry about future cap.

That's why I'm still on the boedeker and eriksson train. Even okposso. They will demand 5-6 mil but 5 year term is something we can work with.

By the time we have to pay Morin, Ghost and Sanheim - Schultz, Streit Read and possibly MDZ will be off the books, I'm not worried about that.
No on Eriksson. Boedker and Okposo both make sense, and we can fit one of them without trading both Streit and Read.
But can you imagine Stamkos here? Playing wing with Giroux!!!

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
By the time we have to pay Morin, Ghost and Sanheim - Schultz, Streit Read and possibly MDZ will be off the books, I'm not worried about that.
No on Eriksson. Boedker and Okposo both make sense, and we can fit one of them without trading both Streit and Read.
But can you imagine Stamkos here? Playing wing with Giroux!!!

More interested in Okposo than Boedker personally

I also would think that G would move to back to RW as Stamkos would want to play center?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
No, it's way too much, especially for a kid who was a long way from being dominant at the WJC 18.

Dubois needs another year in Junior most likely, the Flyers without Simmonds and Gudas are not a playoff team.

Who said he was dominate? I said that was missing from his draft profile.

And so what if the Flyers miss the playoffs next year. If Dubois is a difference making first line wing/center, what will it matter another year out of the playoffs?

If you don't think Dubois has difference making potential, then that's one thing. But to say no just to make the playoffs in 2016-2017, that doesn't make sense to me.

Cousins27

Sep 26, 2013
Flyers need a pure goal scorer like stamkos. A winger is going to cost 5-6 in free agency. Stamkos offer would be around 8-9 a year. A few extra mill for a generational player who rarely comes around. Lot of factors involved. 1 you have to move out streit and read. Easier said then done. Both have regressed to the point where its going to be hard to move them. Another factor is mason. He makes 4.1 mill. That could be where they need the cash to get a stamkos. The problem with that is your giving the keys to an injury prone goalie. Sometimes you have to take risks. with all that said hextall should get creative and find a way to atleast make a competitive offer that gets him thinking. The rest is in stamkos court.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Flyers need a pure goal scorer like stamkos. A winger is going to cost 5-6 in free agency. Stamkos offer would be around 8-9 a year. A few extra mill for a generational player who rarely comes around. Lot of factors involved. 1 you have to move out streit and read. Easier said then done. Both have regressed to the point where its going to be hard to move them. Another factor is mason. He makes 4.1 mill. That could be where they need the cash to get a stamkos. The problem with that is your giving the keys to an injury prone goalie. Sometimes you have to take risks. with all that said hextall should get creative and find a way to atleast make a competitive offer that gets him thinking. The rest is in stamkos court.

I agree, but moving Streit and Read shouldn't be that hard. trade them for picks. Lecav is coming off the books. RJ is getting bought out. Even if we keep MacDonald in the lineup over Morin, we still have plenty of cash to spend on Stamkos... Cant wait for the "Seen Stamkos" 95 billboard.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

I'm telling you it's not really that big of deal as you're making it.

I'm taking the 23 year old who just finished the year as a Calder finalist & was on pace to score 20+ goals & 55+ points in a full season from the backend.

alot of people on here would like Dubois, instead of giving up simmonds or gudas, who else could go. Imagine if gudas, and dubois would be on this team.

More interested in Okposo than Boedker personally

I also would think that G would move to back to RW as Stamkos would want to play center?

I like okposo he would help us tremondusly and wouldn't break the bank. As great as stamkos would be here, the injury and price tag make it hard, I think okposo would be the safer investment

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Honestly I'm with Flyguy. Not trading Simmonds and Gudas for 4th overall. That's not even a good return for those players. It would have to be a much larger package than that. Edmonton would take that deal every day of the week and if they didn't they would be ridiculed. We get so caught up on potential with prospects we forget that Simmonds is exactly what you hope a kid can play like. 60 point guys don't grow on trees even when drafted high.

Also if you want to sign okposo why not just dip you toes in the stamkos waters as well. I don't think either will happen but okposo will get 7 million maybe more on the open market. I don't think he is worth that but stamkos will get 10 million. I know it's three million more but stamkos is a better player. It doesn't matter anyway unless the Flyers make a few bigger deals to clear space. Free agency is how we got into this mess. I would much prefer to acquire some assets through trades and then use our assets to acquire youngish players already established and under contract

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
alot of people on here would like Dubois, instead of giving up simmonds or gudas, who else could go. Imagine if gudas, and dubois would be on this team.
I like okposo he would help us tremondusly and wouldn't break the bank. As great as stamkos would be here, the injury and price tag make it hard, I think okposo would be the safer investment

Okposo might get upwards of 6.5 mill, Stamkos prob around 11mill

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Okposo is getting 7+million on the open market most likely. I don't think we even should target him. He's a RW primarily isn't he?

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
If we were going to spend 11 million on one player I would seriously consider splitting that money up and getting two 5.5 million forwards to add depth. We need depth more than we need another extremely high paid forward.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Reality check, Stamkos is not a "generational player," not even close.
He had a great start to his career, had he continue to grow on his 20-22 year old performance, you might be talking HOF caliber.

But his last two seasons he's been a good but not great player.
Which makes me think that what you see is all you'll get.
When you look at Corsi, he's in the middle of the pack of the forwards on his own team, he doesn't dominate possession or even GF/GA.

Would he be a solid addition? Yes.
Is he worth a big overpay? No.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stamkos is also not playing right now due to a blood cot problem. Even if we had the cap space (which we don't right now) I'd like to see him play a full season without a re-occurrence before giving him $77 million, but that's not going to be possible. So let the Leafs do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad