Off-Season Discussion 2023

"Significant Changes" for the Preds this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Forgive me for being pedantic but the 22-23 season for us is over. The other thread is already at 43 pages as well.

Time to start looking at who is getting qualifying offers, who is being let go, presumed plans for players this summer, etc.

One particular topic I'm always curious about is what kind of summer assignments the coaches give the players, ie what they are expected to have worked on and improved by the time they show up for camp, how involved that staff is with the players over the summer, etc

@AtlantaWhaler @Jonesey if you feel this thread is premature feel free to lock it until an appropriate time, otherwise I suggest closing the 22-23 season thread

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It was due:

Also 9! arb RFAs; Vomacka, Nurmi, Ratcliff, Huntington, Leonard, Foote, Carrier, Asplund, and Glass. That's....alot.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It was due:

Also 9! arb RFAs; Vomacka, Nurmi, Ratcliff, Huntington, Leonard, Foote, Carrier, Asplund, and Glass. That's....alot.
I have heard that Nurni is headed back to Europe after playing 48 games in Milwaukee. He had 24 points, but Mutter makes more of an impression on other teams with 8 points and 72 PIMs.

I think I saw Vomacka once as a backup in Milwaukee, but he didn't play. He had a 4.36 GAA in the ECHL. That seems like a step backwards from 3.17.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It was due:

Vomacka, nurmi, ratcliff, huntington, and leonard dont have an arbitration case. All limited or no NHL time. Vomacka might not get qualified, Nurmi is supposedly mulling going overseas.

Foote and Asplund - im not sure they get qualified but Foote should accept if he does. Neither have made much of an impression.

Carrier and Glass are the only ones that might be tricky. Trotz may want to sign them to longer term if he can.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It was due:

Since I have a big batch process running, I feel like I can run through all the RFAs and UFAs for fun...

Start with just the G and D...

G - Vomacka (RFA) - I don't qualify. I don't watch him play so I don't know if he has some hidden talents that are being masked by how much his ECHL team sucked. But I think the experiment is over. If he subsequently comes back like a Vejmelka, good for him. But I don't think we've seen signs of that so far? 4.36/.868 is really bad, even on an awful team. I am assuming the ATO to Gustav Grigals means that Grigals is going to come in as our #5 ECHL goalie next season?

G- Cooley (G VI UFA) - I would try to bring him back again as our #4 goalie. He's a very solid AHL goalie IMO. I would understand if he wanted to try to parlay his UFA status into an opportunity in a different organization. We have to try to push Askarov ahead of him because of Askarov's huge upside. But really, Cooley is almost as good right now. He is turning 26 soon, so there is no NHL upside here, alas. But if he is fitting in with the Ads, why not try to bring him back?

RD - Carrier (RFA) - I mean, he had a writeofff season compared to last year. I think the Preds (Poile anyway) are high on him. If Fabbro got $2.5M, I don't see much argument for Carrier getting less, even though I happen to like Fabbro better. Carrier's older though, so if you give him a 1-year "show-me" deal, he's UFA after right? I guess I would try to get him on a Lauzon-like deal. He's ok. He's an NHL player. I would like him to do some things differently. But you want to secure assets. I do hope some of our prospects at RD ultimately surpass him.

RD - Foote (RFA) - I haven't been impressed. He was a really good junior player, and that plus his bloodlines really propped up his prospect status. But he has had a lot of opportunity already in Tampa, and they simply couldn't find a way to make him fit, despite really wanting him to. I don't think he is an NHL player at the end of the day. I expect the Preds will still qualify him because it's cheap enough, and try to find that elusive upside in him. But I am not optimistic. He gets a 1-year deal, starts in the NHL, but ultimately falls by the wayside because we have better prospects coming.

RD - Livingstone (RFA, no arb) - It's a tiny sample, but I like his odds of eventually making it. Maybe not next season to start. Half the season in Milwaukee, then a callup whenever we trade Barrie? He's not fast, but I thought he played "the right way" in his cameo? Hard to tell, but just sign him and let the process play out. I definitely like him better than Foote.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Continuing with Forwards...

Cody Glass (RFA) - Well, you sign him for sure. He's in my C rotation with Duchene on his wing next season, obviously. He just turned 24, and got 35 pts. That's not huge. But I like him in our center ice rotation. I think it's valid to offer him a bridge contract that keeps him RFA. 1- or 2-years at $2.5M-ish works for me.

Rasmus Asplund (RFA) - Ehhhh.... he played 19 games, got absolutely zero points, was hardly noticeable, and was -6. His QO is $918,750 which is nothing significant. But still, even our AHL tweeners were better IMO. I don't know if he is distracted by his upcoming nuptials or whatever, but I just wouldn't bother qualifying him. Go back to Sweden and have a wonderful life? Congrats? :dunno:

Markus Nurmi (RFA) - I assume based on the reports that he is going back home. I don't know what injury has kept him out of the Milwaukee stretch run. A lot of the Milwaukee posters gave nice reports on him, It sounds like he's really close, but maybe ultimately just a little bit slow for the NHL and is content instead to go back to Finland as a top star player there? Fair enough.

Zachary Sanford (UFA) - I get the reasoning why we signed him as a UFA insurance policy last summer. But. He seems a bit lackadaisical, despite obviously having size and tools? I would just let him walk, And possibly not even play him in the AHL playoffs, despite him being a strong AHL-level player. He just doesn't seem to WANT to play hockey? :dunno:

John Leonard
(RFA) - I kind of like his zip and attitude. I don't know if he'll want to stick around knowing he's not really in line for NHL work. But he filled in adequately, and is a solid AHL player. I would keep him around for next year's Milwaukee powerhouse if possible.

Isaac Ratcliffe (RFA) - He certainly produced with the change of scenery at the Trade Deadline. As a former highly-touted prospect, he had obviously hit the end of the line in the Philadelphia organization.. 26 games 4 pts for them... 21 games 16 points for us. If he wants to stick around for what we're building for Milwaukee next year, I would welcome him back.

Jimmy Huntingdon (RFA)- He had a bit of a slow start and some injuries, but seems like a gritty guy who can play 3rd line in Milwaukee? I wouldn't mind bring him back in that capacity. No NHL upside, but you need good AHL players too?

Rueschoff / Angello (UFAs) - Decent AHL players with great size... ? Both of those Deadline acquisitions to shore up the Ads seemed to contribute pretty well. No NHL upside, so it is again basically just a numbers issue in Milwaukee... do we have room, then sure, they both seemed to fit ok, but if we don't have room, no issue letting them walk.

Oh, I didnn't put Boro on the D post...

Mark Borowiecki (UFA) - Well everybody seems to love him and at the Presser they were talking about how he has been great around the team all year despite his likely career-ending concussion issue. If that's the case, just bring him in as an ass't coach somewhere or whatever. Sounds like a solid character dude?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Mark Borowiecki (UFA) - Well everybody seems to love him and at the Presser they were talking about how he has been great around the team all year despite his likely career-ending concussion issue. If that's the case, just bring him in as an ass't coach somewhere or whatever. Sounds like a solid character dude?
Forsberg said he was his and Parsinnen's skills coach while they were injured and credited him for Parsinnen's amazing goal against the Wild. Probably worth keeping him on in that role.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Forsberg said he was his and Parsinnen's skills coach while they were injured and credited him for Parsinnen's amazing goal against the Wild. Probably worth keeping him on in that role.
Boro likely doesnt get a nhl contract to play but even the stories from ottawa was that he was great in the lockerroom. Wouldnt be mad if we found some team role for him

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Forgive me for being pedantic but the 22-23 season for us is over. The other thread is already at 43 pages as well.

Time to start looking at who is getting qualifying offers, who is being let go, presumed plans for players this summer, etc.

One particular topic I'm always curious about is what kind of summer assignments the coaches give the players, ie what they are expected to have worked on and improved by the time they show up for camp, how involved that staff is with the players over the summer, etc

@AtlantaWhaler @Jonesey if you feel this thread is premature feel free to lock it until an appropriate time, otherwise I suggest closing the 22-23 season thread
You be pedantic all you want. It's endearing

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If edmonton and Toronto bomb out of the playoffs due to crappy goaltending, it could start a goalie bidding war in the offseason. Likely not enough to make moving saros make sense but something to keep an eye on

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yep and nothing creates that offer like desperation. Some real sketchy goaltending in the playoffs so far
Eh, it's been one game. Teams that have been coasting a while because their spots are secure may have had a doldrums 1st game. Tampa lost game 1 to the Leafs 5-0 last year before winning the series

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would trade Saros for a Nylander, Marner or Mathews trade for trade. Heck may even through in a pick/prospect for one of those players.
I don’t see how it would help us to get a good forward like Nylander or Marner for Saros. Players like that just don’t make enough of a difference. It’s like if Forsberg or Duchene are out of the lineup… vs… Saros? Saros has a MUCH bigger impact to our team.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
The biggest problem the Predators have is scoring goals. I’d take Nylander in a heartbeat. No way they’d give up Matthews for Saros without additional assets going their way.

Reactions: weeze

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The biggest problem the Predators have is scoring goals. I’d take Nylander in a heartbeat. No way they’d give up Matthews for Saros without additional assets going their way.
Honestly due to team needs, id only be interested in Matthews. Could really use that top notch center. Id send them Glass if it helped

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Edmonton and Toronto don't really have what I'd want in a Saros trade.
There is a little spot in my brain that tries to imagine what would have transpired if we had traded Weber to Edmonton for Draisatl, or if Edmonton would have taken Seth Jones for him

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Are you saying you’d take Nylander for Saros? :huh:

We’d get a few more goals and a top 5 pick, I guess. Which some people really value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad