Off Ice Changes

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Lowe still employed? Check.

MacT still employed? Check.

The guy who owns the team would rather have his old boys club buddies around instead of competent people? Check.

The team is going nowhere.
:handclap:

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
KLowe running the rink project is a reasonable use for his talents. They need somebody to do the job.

What exactly does KLowe know about running a rink project? I'll bet he has as much experience at that as he did GMing when he took over 15 years ago.

No sir. The "Kevin is working on the business side of things now" moniker is a smoke screen.

What was he doing at the 2015 draft table in Florida? Working on the rink project?

I call shenanigans.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Tmac is a very good coach but I'm now not sure he is the right choice for this group of players. He seems a bit too soft for this listless bunch. Now that doesn't mean its his fault - it may not be his style. These guys need someone like Babcock possibly who doesn't pull any punches.

Now maybe there is no coach that can teach this group to win and more results may occur but most of them have to go down the road (and it can't be soon enough).

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
What exactly does KLowe know about running a rink project? I'll bet he has as much experience at that as he did GMing when he took over 15 years ago.

No sir. The "Kevin is working on the business side of things now" moniker is a smoke screen.

What was he doing at the 2015 draft table in Florida? Working on the rink project?

I call shenanigans.

KLowe probably knows more than anyone here on HFOil does about running a rink project. Any evidence to the contrary?

Everything I have heard is the rink is still on time and on budget.

What are the shenanigans? Because you called it that means...

MacT is a very good coach but I'm now not sure he is the right choice for this group of players.

It's been 6 1/2 years since MacT was head coach of the Oilers. Just sayin'...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we're seriously disputing MacT and Lowe with the org? They have no authority. They have no effect on our place in the standings anymore. It's not an issue at all. It really comes off as fans just demanding their pound of flesh, which is not going to help anything either. It's just going to make everyone look bad considering the OBC is more than just some guys who ran our team for a while. They are important to the team's history. So what if they are kept on in token positions?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
KLowe probably knows more than anyone here on HFOil does about running a rink project. Any evidence to the contrary?

Everything I have heard is the rink is still on time and on budget.

What are the shenanigans? Because you called it that means...

It's been 6 1/2 years since MacT was head coach of the Oilers. Just sayin'...

Meant Tmac - sorry for the confusion. The jury is out on the former. :)

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
They have no authority, yet appear scouting at a bunch of junior hockey games all the time. Nope, not involved with the hockey side at all.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They have no authority, yet appear scouting at a bunch of junior hockey games all the time. Nope, not involved with the hockey side at all.
Yep, it's ridiculous to say neither one has no involvement when it isn't known what exactly they do.

Mactavish at the very least is involved in scouting which is amusing to me considering he was never very good at evaluating the talent in his own organization, players he sees everyday. Not sure how much usefulness he brings to judging players he only sees occasionally.

As far as Lowe goes, he's been seen at the draft, tournaments and many other games. If he isn't still involved with hockey ops, why is he there with the guys that are? We've been told that these guys don't still make the decisions with this team. We have no way of knowing if they do or not but as long as they're still there the question will be asked.

Must be one hell of an uncomfortable environment for everybody else working in the organization too. It's tough to show loyalty to the new boss when the old boss is still lurking around the corner. It's the definition of dysfunction.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yep, it's ridiculous to say neither one has no involvement when it isn't known what exactly they do.

Mactavish at the very least is involved in scouting which is amusing to me considering he was never very good at evaluating the talent in his own organization, players he sees everyday. Not sure how much usefulness he brings to judging players he only sees occasionally.

As far as Lowe goes, he's been seen at the draft, tournaments and many other games. If he isn't still involved with hockey ops, why is he there with the guys that are? We've been told that these guys don't still make the decisions with this team. We have no way of knowing if they do or not but as long as they're still there the question will be asked.

Must be one hell of an uncomfortable environment for everybody else working in the organization too. It's tough to show loyalty to the new boss when the old boss is still lurking around the corner. It's the definition of dysfunction.

Nicholson had that audit though, and with a mandate to examine and fix the management. It seemed at the time that it might have been a hollow gesture, but there were huge changes done. Chiarelli is the unquestioned leader of the Oilers. He would not have agreed to sign on if he were forced to keep a dysfunctional environment going, and he especially would get to choose his staff.

Chiarelli is also very experienced. He wouldn't let MacT stick around in his current position if he didn't have some value to offer. It's not like Eakins inheriting his staff. And really, just because MacT was a poor GM doesn't mean he's some kind of cancer, or that he doesn't know hockey or talent.

It seems to me that you just want the OBC punished for your own satisfaction. That's not what accountability means

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
The_Wizard.jpg

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
we're seriously disputing MacT and Lowe with the org? They have no authority. They have no effect on our place in the standings anymore. It's not an issue at all. It really comes off as fans just demanding their pound of flesh, which is not going to help anything either. It's just going to make everyone look bad considering the OBC is more than just some guys who ran our team for a while. They are important to the team's history. So what if they are kept on in token positions?

They are, at the very least, the figureheads of the worst era in Oilers' history.
A record setting run of futility and incompetence.
They made the franchise a joke.
They should be as far from management as possible.

As far as team history, they put their reputations on the line when they took those management positions.
The sooner they go, the better chance they have to rehabilitate their place as alumni. If it's not too late.
It's probably too late.
I couldn't care less if they are making decisions or not.
They should be purged.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They are, at the very least, the figureheads of the worst era in Oilers' history.
A record setting run of futility and incompetence.
They made the franchise a joke.
They should be as far from management as possible.

As far as team history, they put their reputations on the line when they took those management positions.
The sooner they go, the better chance they have to rehabilitate their place as alumni. If it's not too late.
It's probably too late.
I couldn't care less if they are making decisions or not.
They should be purged.

Is it so weird that I just want on-ice results? I don't see the point in making an example of MacT and Lowe. It seems like a move that's dwelling on the past. I want us to focus on the future. I think most everyone can say that even though they were bad at their jobs, they at least tried to do the right thing. The challenges they faced were harder than what most GMs have to face, and they were probably not good enough to even deal with an average challenge. Oh well, they don't have to deal with challenges anymore. Moving on...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They have completely changed almost every off ice position since the tank started. The only people left are Lowe, Mac T, Howson and Moss. This summer you will see Mac T and Howson sent packing. There's really nothing more you can do. The problem is the players.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Is it so weird that I just want on-ice results? I don't see the point in making an example of MacT and Lowe. It seems like a move that's dwelling on the past. I want us to focus on the future. I think most everyone can say that even though they were bad at their jobs, they at least tried to do the right thing. The challenges they faced were harder than what most GMs have to face, and they were probably not good enough to even deal with an average challenge. Oh well, they don't have to deal with challenges anymore. Moving on...

Not weird at all. I want on ice success too. If we get that, I don't care who's employed by the team.

But we're not seeing success. We're not even seeing any significant improvement.
They weren't just bad at their jobs, they were bad on an historical level.
Record setting levels.
We're told they're not involved, but there they are at the draft table.
They are seen scouting.
The man who said Schultz had Norris potential and Nikitin was unquestionably a top 4 defenseman is evaluating talent for us.
The Reinhart deal reeks of Lowe/MacT.
Of course they are involved, MacT is the second in command.
How can we have faith that the team will find any success if we can't even be sure the clowns who put us in this position are out of the decision making process?
Lowe, MacT and Howeson should be fired.
Hopefully, this summer, Chia makes some smart moves and none of this will matter.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think we are running our of people to blame for loses. We need to look how the roster was built and why it is not gelling and that is the next step.

The are problems with the top 6, bottom 6, on the D and some times in net

7 years into a rebuild, 4 gms, 6 coaches

I think we need to admit the rebuild was built incorrectly and use McDavid and the building block for the roster and go from there

The roster was built wrong. Good news. We took THE BPA bad news in a few cases it was not what we needed. Are top 6 could get their ***** kicked by Brooklyn Girl scout group 69 7 days a week.

This off season we need to make some tough decisions. Maybe both Eberle and Nuge get moved. We have no real nasty streak

I am more than a little surprised....I 100% agree with 2 of your posts. ;)

Seriously though the issues with team is clearly roster related. Thats where 100% of the attention should be directed.

Built ridiculously unbalanced and with too many players that lack a high compete level. In addition to that the overall hockey IQ of this team is pathetic. Most of this roster couldn't execute their way out of a 5 foot maze.

Now that he has completely familiarized himself with the roster let Chiarelli have a legit opportunity by utilizing an off season to begin undoing the damage caused by years of inept management.
He inherited a broken team...its going to take a lot of work to fix it.

How about we give him an opportunity to do that and then give McLellan an opportunity to coach a team that isnt so unbalanced with major compete and execution challenges.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Nicholson had that audit though, and with a mandate to examine and fix the management. It seemed at the time that it might have been a hollow gesture, but there were huge changes done. Chiarelli is the unquestioned leader of the Oilers. He would not have agreed to sign on if he were forced to keep a dysfunctional environment going, and he especially would get to choose his staff.

Chiarelli is also very experienced. He wouldn't let MacT stick around in his current position if he didn't have some value to offer. It's not like Eakins inheriting his staff. And really, just because MacT was a poor GM doesn't mean he's some kind of cancer, or that he doesn't know hockey or talent.

It seems to me that you just want the OBC punished for your own satisfaction. That's not what accountability means

Are you serious? How can you rip any fans who want these guys gone. You may disagree but how can you criticize? They've been historically bad and wouldn't have survived in any other organization regardless of their standing as former players.

It's a mystery to me how you think either of them can be of any value to a team trying to recover from the mess they put them in. If they were any good at building a hockey team in any capacity this team would be showing some life by now. The fact that serious management changes were made and this team still isn't showing any signs of improvement should raise questions about whether keeping the people around that created the mess really has any value or if it really is necessary to have a clean slate.

When you have a successful organization it's easier to hide weak links. Nobody is concerned enough to look for them. That isn't the case for a team that's on the verge of missing the playoffs for 10 years.

We aren't privy to what goes on behind closed doors in this organization. We know what we've been told and we know how most other organizations operate. I hope you're right that Chiarelli is completely in charge and is running the team the way HE wants to. I hope this job is everything that was said to be promised to him. I think the situation he seems to have inherited here is odd and its concerning to me. If he's happy with it he'll stick around for a while. If it isn't he won't. If it's the latter we'll know why.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Let's gut the old core despite the fact that their entire NHL careers have been played with 1-2 top four defensemen and zero top pairing guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad