Off Ice Changes

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Everyone knows that changes need to be made to then on ice personnel but I'm wondering what changes off the ice can be made to improve this sorry ass club. Below are some thoughts.

Management:

-Last off seasons shake up was a start but there is still a lot of fat trimming to do. Many of the guys in management are guys that are part of Lowe's regime and have been here throughout the losing. This is an area where we can exploit the fact that we have a rich owner willing to spend. We need to identify guys around the league in areas like player personnel and development, management, scouting. Find the people who are very good at their jobs and poach them.

Coaching:

- TM is 60 games in and we are still seeing a lot of terrible play. Lack of effort, sloppy execution and mistakes being made that peewee teams shouldn't make let alone an NHL team. He has to find a way to get these guys consistently playing smart, hard and with some pride.

- The systems and strategies have to improve. I look at a team like the Coyotes who have never been blessed with very talented players but they play the way you have to in order to win. This season they've added some young talented players but those players do what is demanded by the team. I find we have always catered to our young offensive players and try to play a style that suits them. Enough is enough they either play the type of hockey that wins at this level or GTFO. Our zone entries and PP are an absolute joke, a lot of it is on the players but a lot of it has to fall on the coaches. If Woodcroft can't make it work with what we have here maybe he has to be shown the door regardless of if he is one of TM's guys.

- I would also like to see them add a skills coach to the mix. Look at what Oates has done for Purcell this season, he could probably improve other individual games on the team. Someone who is more behind the scenes but works with individual players on the little things, on things that can make them better players. Maybe someone to teach the guys how to shoot the puck because it seems like nobody on this team can hit the net consistently. A lot of muffin shooters on this team. I honestly can't remember the last time someone on this team scored on a rocket shot, a real nice one timer or a real nice snipe from more then 10 feet out.

Medical, Training and Equipment:

-Again these are other areas that I believe should be reviewed, most of the staff are long serving members and it's not to say they are doing a bad job but we need to explore every avenue possible to get the best out of our team. Are there different medical techniques we can implement? Can we better educate our players on how to stay healthy? Can we mandate equipment changes like skate and hand guards? All things to be considered. A lot of times our guys look slow out or gassed, moreso then other teams, are there better ways to condition these guys, are we sure they are putting in the effort to be in the best condition they can? Management needs to provide every resource possibly available to these guys and make them understand that success hinges on them being in top condition and healthy, they are responsible for that and if they don't take it seriously then we don't want you.

- This is another kind of dumb one that is related to bad luck but it's absolutely insane the amount of broken sticks this team suffers. I watch a lot of hockey and it seems to me that the Oilers are one of the worst teams for breaking sticks, which is funny to me because there is barely anyone on the team who can shoot the puck hard it. Even in the game against Anaheim tonight I think I counted 4 broken sticks for the Oilers and not one for the Ducks.

I know a lot of this is just conjecture cause we really don't know what goes on in the day to day but really I think these are all areas that should be reviewed because if there is anything that can be done to help us win it should be done. That's my rant.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Everyone knows that changes need to be made to then on ice personnel but I'm wondering what changes off the ice can be made to improve this sorry ass club. Below are some thoughts.

Management:

-Last off seasons shake up was a start but there is still a lot of fat trimming to do. Many of the guys in management are guys that are part of Lowe's regime and have been here throughout the losing. This is an area where we can exploit the fact that we have a rich owner willing to spend. We need to identify guys around the league in areas like player personnel and development, management, scouting. Find the people who are very good at their jobs and poach them.

Coaching:

- TM is 60 games in and we are still seeing a lot of terrible play. Lack of effort, sloppy execution and mistakes being made that peewee teams shouldn't make let alone an NHL team. He has to find a way to get these guys consistently playing smart, hard and with some pride.

- The systems and strategies have to improve. I look at a team like the Coyotes who have never been blessed with very talented players but they play the way you have to in order to win. This season they've added some young talented players but those players do what is demanded by the team. I find we have always catered to our young offensive players and try to play a style that suits them. Enough is enough they either play the type of hockey that wins at this level or GTFO. Our zone entries and PP are an absolute joke, a lot of it is on the players but a lot of it has to fall on the coaches. If Woodcroft can't make it work with what we have here maybe he has to be shown the door regardless of if he is one of TM's guys.

- I would also like to see them add a skills coach to the mix. Look at what Oates has done for Purcell this season, he could probably improve other individual games on the team. Someone who is more behind the scenes but works with individual players on the little things, on things that can make them better players. Maybe someone to teach the guys how to shoot the puck because it seems like nobody on this team can hit the net consistently. A lot of muffin shooters on this team. I honestly can't remember the last time someone on this team scored on a rocket shot, a real nice one timer or a real nice snipe from more then 10 feet out.

Medical, Training and Equipment:

-Again these are other areas that I believe should be reviewed, most of the staff are long serving members and it's not to say they are doing a bad job but we need to explore every avenue possible to get the best out of our team. Are there different medical techniques we can implement? Can we better educate our players on how to stay healthy? Can we mandate equipment changes like skate and hand guards? All things to be considered. A lot of times our guys look slow out or gassed, moreso then other teams, are there better ways to condition these guys, are we sure they are putting in the effort to be in the best condition they can? Management needs to provide every resource possibly available to these guys and make them understand that success hinges on them being in top condition and healthy, they are responsible for that and if they don't take it seriously then we don't want you.

- This is another kind of dumb one that is related to bad luck but it's absolutely insane the amount of broken sticks this team suffers. I watch a lot of hockey and it seems to me that the Oilers are one of the worst teams for breaking sticks, which is funny to me because there is barely anyone on the team who can shoot the puck hard it. Even in the game against Anaheim tonight I think I counted 4 broken sticks for the Oilers and not one for the Ducks.

I know a lot of this is just conjecture cause we really don't know what goes on in the day to day but really I think these are all areas that should be reviewed because if there is anything that can be done to help us win it should be done. That's my rant.

6 years ago they sacked about 3/4 of the staff

compared to most NHL teams they are not considered long serving

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think we are running our of people to blame for loses. We need to look how the roster was built and why it is not gelling and that is the next step.

The are problems with the top 6, bottom 6, on the D and some times in net

7 years into a rebuild, 4 gms, 6 coaches

I think we need to admit the rebuild was built incorrectly and use McDavid and the building block for the roster and go from there

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think we are running our of people to blame for loses. We need to look how the roster was built and why it is not gelling and that is the next step.

The are problems with the top 6, bottom 6, on the D and some times in net

7 years into a rebuild, 4 gms, 6 coaches

I think we need to admit the rebuild was built incorrectly and use McDavid and the building block for the roster and go from there

This 100%

No more blaming the coaches, the reffing, Remenda, or any other excuse that can be thought up. It's time to accept that our current roster simply isn't good enough for whatever reason.

Time to gut the old core. Name McDavid captain for next season and build around him as the undisputed leader of this franchise.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Change everything about this mickey mouse operation except the "old core". That's their plan of action since the the 2010 draft. And that sure is working out just fine. That right there is problem. :help:

We have changed presidents, general managers, coaches, assistant coaches, equipment personnel, trainers, jerseys, anthem singers, radio PbP, bottom 6 forwards, thousands of defensemen, sportsnet color commentators, pro scouts, farm teams, amateur scouts and goalies. Soon we will have a new arena. And this team will continue to lose in that building, and that's a guarantee.

I'm sorry but the problem is simple. The forward lineup is unbalanced and the defense is filled with bottom 4 dmen. If you keep blaming everything outside of the Top 6, they'll stay in the basement with no light in sight. Something needs to be done with the Hall, Eberle and RNH trio, because all they've known is losing. And that's not entirely on them, as this team has had an incompetent front office for a decade now. They need to take the team in a different direction, which isn't towards the cellar every damn year.

Wish Chia the best of luck this TDD and summer, because we can only hope he has seen enough of this garbage to make the necessary moves.

McDavid.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I completely agree that the roster is without a doubt the absolute #1 change that needs to happen and hopefully Chia will sack up and do what has to be done. The time for sitting on our hands is over and the guys who don't do what's expected have to be shown the door.

This thread isn't about making excuses it's about the organization exploring every possible option and resource to give this team a competitive edge and translate it to on ice success. It starts with a management team that has a clear and concise plan on how to build a successful team in todays league, having competent pro scouts to go out there and identify players who fit into that plan and then having the coaching staff to get the roster to execute and the support staff and resources to ensure the players are the best they can be.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The roster was built wrong. Good news. We took THE BPA bad news in a few cases it was not what we needed. Are top 6 could get their ***** kicked by Brooklyn Girl scout group 69 7 days a week.

This off season we need to make some tough decisions. Maybe both Eberle and Nuge get moved. We have no real nasty streak

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Time to shake it up fellas. Don't think it will be happening really until the off-season however. What a waste.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That's basically what I'd keep (Talbot and Sekera can stay since they won't be traded anyhow). I'd look at keeping RNH too unless an amazing trade is to be had. His absence is palpable at this point.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It has been a colossal failure. I don't know if "rebuild" is even the right word for what the Oilers have been doing. They expected a bunch of high draft picks to come in and win hockey games with little coaching or help from veteran NHL players. ****ing brilliant plan.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Until this teams employees.

Management, scouts amateur and professional.

Learn how to god damn identify some ****ing defensive talent.

We will forever be ****ed.

They swing and miss in the draft. (not a ****ing top two d-man in the last 25 years)
They swing and miss in FA. (Thanks Ference, Nikitin, Fayne) Sekera has been decent but there's 5 more years to see if they frig that up too.

They swing and miss in trades. (Reinhart looks like a pylon out there at times)

The one guy that looked to be actually trending in the right direction. A possibility of being a top 2 guy! is well on his way to an injury plagued career.
Who gets a ****ing staff infection in his foot and has to miss over half a season.. seriously.

Nurse..... I see the exact same player in Feb as I saw in September. Need to see his game improve. He can't come in here next year and be the same player. If is.. i'm downgrading him to 4th dman on the depth chart projection.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hire a witch doctor, a shaman, a miko, an exorcist, a priest, a Buddhist, and a Mormon.

Make the ice out of holy water. Make sure the new arena isn't on an Indian burial grounds. Get Scooby-Doo to solve the mystery of the ****** ice hockey team. Put up crosses in every dressing room stall, make sure the players all eat garlic before game-time. Get them all silver sticks with stakes for handles.

Oh, and plenty of bibles.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hire a witch doctor, a shaman, a miko, an exorcist, a priest, a Buddhist, and a Mormon.

Make the ice out of holy water. Make sure the new arena isn't on an Indian burial grounds. Get Scooby-Doo to solve the mystery of the ****** ice hockey team. Put up crosses in every dressing room stall, make sure the players all eat garlic before game-time. Get them all silver sticks with stakes for handles.

Oh, and plenty of bibles.

I swear if this team makes the playoffs next year.

I'll blame Rexal for being cursed.

It's uncanny how players come to this team and just fail at the game of hockey.
They start off ok.. then this curse/disease/plague slowly kills their ability to perform.
Rookies never get better. Veterans deteriorate.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Lowe still employed? Check.

MacT still employed? Check.

The guy who owns the team would rather have his old boys club buddies around instead of competent people? Check.

The team is going nowhere.

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
We probably need better doctors/trainers that can help our players utilize PEDs. No, I'm not joking at all, with the way the NHL testing is most players are taking something and we shouldn't be an exception

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Still not sure why no veteran leadership was brought in over last summer - it shouldn't have taken a genius even from another planet to note that the same thing was going to happen this year and that another year of everyone's lives would be wasted.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

The guy who owns the team would rather have his old boys club buddies around instead of competent people? Check.

Agree - if they are not held accountable, how should the players ever feel accountable for what they do?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agree - if they are not held accountable, how should the players ever feel accountable for what they do?

I dunno. Klowe and MacT would still have to be paid even if they were canned.

KLowe running the rink project is a reasonable use for his talents. They need somebody to do the job.

Does anyone know what MacT actually does? Does his presence hurt the team or is it simply people can't let go of the anger over his horrible tenure as GM?

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant

shocked_meme.jpg

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
How does Katz not look at Lowe and MacT and not get angry. This is beyond common sense now. Our prospect pool is crap considering where we've been drafting the last 10 years or whenever you deem the rebuild started.

I know I may be in the minority but I kinda hope Krueger or Nelson get brought back as head coach. The teams were much more entertaining to watch.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
How does Katz not look at Lowe and MacT and not get angry. This is beyond common sense now. Our prospect pool is crap considering where we've been drafting the last 10 years or whenever you deem the rebuild started.

I know I may be in the minority but I kinda hope Krueger or Nelson get brought back as head coach. The teams were much more entertaining to watch.

He's probably moved right the **** on.

He's playing dressup in his vision of the ice district and probably recently taken an interest in powerboating and the potential of an MLS franchise.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I dunno. Klowe and MacT would still have to be paid even if they were canned.

KLowe running the rink project is a reasonable use for his talents. They need somebody to do the job.

Does anyone know what MacT actually does? Does his presence hurt the team or is it simply people can't let go of the anger over his horrible tenure as GM?

I'd rather they were payed to gtfo then hang around with their stench of failure leeching into every facet of the organization.

Klowes talents would be best served writing a book waxing poetic about his past experience in winning while slagging the 2nd and lower tiers of fans.

If anyone cannot say for certain what job MacT has, then what the hell good is he? Would he be missed? The guy just flew half way across the planet to scout a player and he wasn't even close to same rink and said player.

Amateur hour. Thy name is Oilers.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
The roster was built wrong. Good news. We took THE BPA bad news in a few cases it was not what we needed. Are top 6 could get their ***** kicked by Brooklyn Girl scout group 69 7 days a week.

This off season we need to make some tough decisions. Maybe both Eberle and Nuge get moved. We have no real nasty streak

except for the very top of the draft, i have never been a fan of the "BPA". 2012 was a good example of that. Yak just hasn't worked out here and he really wasn't what we "needed", we needed d-man Ryan Murray worse and former amateur head scout Stu MacGregor, to his credit, strongly urged the Oilers to take him 1st overall but they didn't., and how has that worked out?

what the Oilers should have done was trade the pick back to Columbus and get something extra for the #1, then take Murray at #2. but the Oilers gloated about drafting a potential 30 goal scorer in Yak and just made the pick. too bad for us.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
This 100%

No more blaming the coaches, the reffing, Remenda, or any other excuse that can be thought up. It's time to accept that our current roster simply isn't good enough for whatever reason.

Time to gut the old core. Name McDavid captain for next season and build around him as the undisputed leader of this franchise.

Its funny, he actually sounded MAD last night. The guy has no emotional ties or connections to the team whatsoever, it was just their execution. You could hear the rage just naturally coming out of him just from having to watch the on-ice product. Made me laugh anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad