off air comments from Haynes and Mcnab

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Not really sure if it's thread worthy but I found this really interesting. It's an off air conversation between haynes and mcnab analyzing an opposing goal. They sound so much more smarter than when they actually broadcast:laugh:

https://vid.me/30m9

If there are more of these somewhere Id love to get a link.:yo:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was hoping for more. I love when my stream catches the announcers during commercials and it's always fun to see how much more likable they seem as people, even if they're being ignorant, raging homers for teams I don't like.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Watching Avs games on Viaplay is amazing, you get behind the scenes stuff during every commercial break.

One thing I remember is Haynes having talked to Logan Couture between periods and then came back and talked to McNabb about it. "You know, some people just have that hockey player look, but Couture looks like he should be a calculus student"

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm sure McNabb and Haynes are smart human beings, they're just horrible at broadcasting which makes them sound not so smart. It would be like me trying to be an astronaut, I'll make myself look stupid by not knowing what to do

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know, the only thing really interesting about that is McNab stuffing his face during commercial breaks.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
McNabb is pretty much my hero. I wish I could've been a hard-scrapping 70s player who gets a sweet gig eating hotdogs, drinking scotch, and describing every player in the NHL as "solid"

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
A few years ago, a colleague of my wife had season tickets for the handicapped spot at the top of the section by the bar where they would do pregames. We got to go to many of the games she could not make it to. Which put me in great position to see what was being broadcast ... and the moments in between.

McNab drank a fair bit, but not to excess. And both came across as much more fair minded and intelligent than they do on TV (and I am not one to think that badly of them in that regard as well...listed to the rest of the leagues guys, most are at least as bad). The homer-ism is by direction in many respects, but they are fans and friends of the players. They also watch enough and know enough to be truly critical when warranted; they just usually don't on TV because it looks bad for the home guys to rag on the players. As for their ability on screen, like I said, they aren't the worst. Having that camera on you, knowing that potentially millions are watching you, has to have an effect. Yes, they make mistakes, but so does everyone...and they are going out live, so no chance to cut, try again and edit.

I would much rather have our crew than Mickey Redmond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad