OT: Of Finns and Saunas: a compendium.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
In Japan the Onsen's are segregated. Part of the facility is male only and part is female only. But that is not what Thermea is trying to do. They are offering relaxation and sauna is only one small part of that experience

It's like that in Finland too. In the Spa are you wear swimsuit but you take it off when you go in to area. Also if it's mixed public Sauna you have to wear swimsuit.

Saunas if Finland are usually located next to showers. So it's already private location. If it's located somewhere else you are not allowed to go there naked.

In reality Finns aren't so open about being naked.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
They pay for the spa, right? I don't know why people would specifically pay for a sauna, I have one I can use for free any time I want. But I do have an issue with calling a low temp steam bath a sauna.

People in here pay just for the Sauna. For example Pates favorite Sauna in Tampere is Kaupinojan sauna and it's just a Sauna, or actually 3 different kind of Saunas. And it costs 7€.

And you are NOT allowed to be naked there.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
They pay for the spa, right? I don't know why people would specifically pay for a sauna, I have one I can use for free any time I want. But I do have an issue with calling a low temp steam bath a sauna.

They pay to go in and having been there the aufguss is a fantastic experience and a big part of why people keep going back.

Don't knock it til you try it. They also operate a cold plunge pool right next to the large sauna. Temperature is kept around 4-5c. That cold plunge after an aufguss sweat is the best part for me. A cold shower is nowhere near the same experience.

I also had a sauna in my house for 20 years. I loved it. I also love Thermea's version Why can't people enjoy both experiences?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

The steam rooms are not called saunas at Thermea. They are called steam rooms.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
People in here pay just for the Sauna. For example Pates favorite Sauna in Tampere is Kaupinojan sauna and it's just a Sauna, or actually 3 different kind of Saunas. And it costs 7€.

And you are NOT allowed to be naked there.

I was under the impression that it was more for the sauna-avanto combination? Paying 7€ does sound odd when I can even go to a swimming hall for less than that.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
I was under the impression that it was more for the sauna-avanto combination? Paying 7€ does sound odd when I can even go to a swimming hall for less than that.

Yeah, it's sauna-(ice)swimming combination but you can swim there for free because it's on public land. You only pay for the Sauna. During summers a lot people go there and just swim.

But basically it depends on the context if you use swimming suit in Sauna in Finland. Public mixed naked Saunas used to common but now days there are only few left in Finland. Don't think there's any in Tampere.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Having been to Thermea several times, the aufguss is by far the most popular thing they have going. The "performer" hits a gong about ten minutes before it starts and everyone scurries for a spot inside the sauna. My "performers" have always been female BTW.

I'm not wanting to put that down, as such. It's just that my people generally don't have much going for them, so when you use "Finland" and "sauna" together in marketing and then actually offer a mellow sort of German steam ritual (that you also market as 'ritual'*) it cuts deep into the very core of my being.

Deep enough to want to strip the culprit naked, pour some tar into a bucketful of water, throw it all in one go to the stones of the kiuas and proceed to lash all the wrongness out of his body with a bundle of birch twigs.

Then maybe a swim and back to the sauna.

There being a designated "performer" is probably the worst bit, and releases the onslaught of suppressed knowledge of the Swedish public so-called saunas where you are not allowed to throw water on the kiuas.

There is a power and a responsibility into being the löyly thrower, and everyone should be entitled to have a go at it at time to find out exactly what kind of man you are. It's not something to be taught to you, it's for learning yourself. There being a sauna over-priest goes against everything what sauna in Finland stands for.

* Sauna-going is very much a rite, something you pass from one state of being to different one with, but ritual as a term in my understanding refers more to the motions and show and pomp being more important than the outcome.

Last edited:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
They pay to go in and having been there the aufguss is a fantastic experience and a big part of why people keep going back.

Don't knock it til you try it
. They also operate a cold plunge pool right next to the large sauna. Temperature is kept around 4-5c. That cold plunge after an aufguss sweat is the best part for me. A cold shower is nowhere near the same experience.

I also had a sauna in my house for 20 years. I loved it. I also love Thermea's version Why can't people enjoy both experiences?

The german löylymestari is a laughing stock in Finland.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Personally I can't see how so many Finns appear to have a problem with using swimsuits in Sauna. When I go to sauna with friends we are naked, but if there is someone more stranger (especially some foreigner) coming with us we usually ask if he/she would be more comfortable if we all used swimsuits. It's not some sacred ritual ffs. It is a place where you should relax, and if being naked throws you out of your comfort zone you can't do that.

I also don't have a problem with steam rooms. I enjoy going to a hamaam (or whatever it is spelled) or other "saunas" once in a while. As long as it's warm in there its a-okey. Now, if they would use the word "Finnish sauna" then it should be 80-90 C and free to throw water on the stones as often as you like. If it's just "sauna", then all variations are fine for me.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Don't knock it til you try it. They also operate a cold plunge pool right next to the large sauna. Temperature is kept around 4-5c. That cold plunge after an aufguss sweat is the best part for me. A cold shower is nowhere near the same experience.

Thermea is unreal. Great place to spend an afternoon or evening.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Personally I can't see how so many Finns appear to have a problem with using swimsuits in Sauna. When I go to sauna with friends we are naked, but if there is someone more stranger (especially some foreigner) coming with us we usually ask if he/she would be more comfortable if we all used swimsuits. It's not some sacred ritual ffs. It is a place where you should relax, and if being naked throws you out of your comfort zone you can't do that.

For some (most) of us it's sacred... I've taught my children that the saunatonttu watches upon all who misbehave in the Sauna. :laugh:

I also don't have a problem with steam rooms. I enjoy going to a hamaam (or whatever it is spelled) or other "saunas" once in a while. As long as it's warm in there its a-okey. Now, if they would use the word "Finnish sauna" then it should be 80-90 C and free to throw water on the stones as often as you like. If it's just "sauna", then all variations are fine for me.

"Thermëa, always searching for the best in heat therapy techniques, is pleased to offer you Aufguss (German for “infusion”) rituals in its Finlandia sauna. This method follows the ancient Finnish practice of generating bursts of hot, humid air by pouring water on heated stones."

"It all started with two members of our team who wished to improve their level of knowledge in saunas ritual. They decided to travel to Germany to follow a five week long training to be a "Sauna Meister". This intensive training has taught them the basics of maintaining and operating a sauna, but more importantly, the techniques to perform the Aufguss rituals. Today, we are proud to have in our team the only two Sauna Meister in Canada, who now transmit their knowledge to the rest of our employees. In addition, the Nordik Spa-Nature Group is a member of the German association "Sauna Bund" which, for over 50 years, has been regulating and supervising the Aufguss rituals of its 900 member institutions."

Aufguss EM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseditMtDmQ [NSFW][mod]

Sauna world championship in Finland

Last edited by a moderator:

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
Thermea is much more than a "sauna" It's a full on spa with massage and beauty treatments. There are three large hot tubs 2 steam rooms several relaxation spaces and a very good restaurant. It's also 100% coed. Without swimsuits it would be basically a naked colony. They would lose 95% of their customers. It's quite successful and been packed every time I've gone. I'm not sure why they would change?

To me that sounds that Thermea is plenty of things and a nice place, but Sauna it is not.
I don't know why is it, but here at home(Fin) I can easily go months without sauna, but when I'm somewhere where there's no decent saunas to be found, I really, really miss it.

Nothing cures homesickness better than that +95c steamy heat and that smoky smell of the real sauna stove

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
To me that sounds that Thermea is plenty of things and a nice place, but Sauna it is not.
I don't know why is it, but here at home(Fin) I can easily go months without sauna, but when I'm somewhere where there's no decent saunas to be found, I really, really miss it.

Nothing cures homesickness better than that +95c steamy heat and that smoky smell of the real sauna stove
What makes a real sauna or real sauna stove? It seems to me the saunas at Thermea are legit, there are a couple of different ones with different shapes and heat intensities. They are both mother****ing hot is all I know, especially the one where they do the
Aufguss ritual when you sit on the top row, yowsers!!

I am not Finnish so I could be (am) completely ignorant about this.

Vimpelin Voima

Dec 1, 2016
Stockholm
For some (most) of us it's sacred... I've taught my children that the saunatonttu watches upon all who misbehave in the Sauna. :laugh:

"Thermëa, always searching for the best in heat therapy techniques, is pleased to offer you Aufguss (German for “infusionâ€) rituals in its Finlandia sauna. This method follows the ancient Finnish practice of generating bursts of hot, humid air by pouring water on heated stones."

"It all started with two members of our team who wished to improve their level of knowledge in saunas ritual. They decided to travel to Germany to follow a five week long training to be a "Sauna Meister". This intensive training has taught them the basics of maintaining and operating a sauna, but more importantly, the techniques to perform the Aufguss rituals. Today, we are proud to have in our team the only two Sauna Meister in Canada, who now transmit their knowledge to the rest of our employees. In addition, the Nordik Spa-Nature Group is a member of the German association "Sauna Bund" which, for over 50 years, has been regulating and supervising the Aufguss rituals of its 900 member institutions."

Aufguss EM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseditMtDmQ [NSFW][mod]

Sauna world championship in Finland

Wow, only 110C? I have a hard time believing that. Maybe if they take the temperature at the floor? I myself have been in a Sauna at way hotter than that and survived, whilst a bit burned though ;)

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
Wow, only 110C? I have a hard time believing that. Maybe if they take the temperature at the floor? I myself have been in a Sauna at way hotter than that and survived, whilst a bit burned though ;)

110C is probably right. It's not only about the C's that counts, you need the humidity to really feel the heat.
110C sauna is hot, but you need to throw some water to the stones to get rid of the tourists:laugh:

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
What makes a real sauna or real sauna stove? It seems to me the saunas at Thermea are legit, there are a couple of different ones with different shapes and heat intensities. They are both mother****ing hot is all I know, especially the one where they do the
Aufguss ritual when you sit on the top row, yowsers!!

I am not Finnish so I could be (am) completely ignorant about this.

Ok, here in Finland the top row seat is the standard and the guy who throws water to the stove is responsible to keep the heat bearable to everybody else, so nobody needs to step down from the top row. At public saunas anyways..

Stove is the heart of sauna and there are many kind of stoves. I don't think many Finn, or anyone else who has ever experienced the smoke sauna disagrees when I say that it's the best sauna there is. Smoke sauna is a sauna without a chimney. There is plenty of big stones to restore the heat, it takes hours to heat it up and the stove must be let to burn out(carb.monoxide) before you can go in and enjoy the smoothest perfect steam there is:blush:. It's not the easiest sauna, but it really is worth the trouble:nod:

Basic wood sauna stoves are good also and they give much smoother steams that those electric ones. I my self have an electric sauna stove and I don't like it very much..

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Basic wood sauna stoves are good also and they give much smoother steams that those electric ones. I my self have an electric sauna stove and I don't like it very much..

That's because the folk o' fire are potent bunch, whilst the folk o' electricity heed poorly the old ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haltija

It's the water and steam that does the trick. Someone who came to Finnish sauna and started waving a towel around in the air would get his nose flattened in short order because proper löyly need not such help with moving around. You throw water, the outburst of steam gets the sauna-goers, the steam outburst soon enough "dies" leaving the air somewhat more humid (and thus hotter-feeling); when and if needed you throw more water. At some point you will have gotten enough because it's too hot and humid and vacate the sauna.

When you finish wholly you put one more "nestful" of wood into the stove, so that the tonttu too can go get his löylys as the last sauna-goer. Which he of course will, because that's certainly no make-believe made up in order to merely ensure that you burn that last trench of wood, the heat from which would dry out the worst of the humidity in the wholly wood-clad room or anything.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I'm looking to build a 4- 6 person wood fired sauna to enjoy up at the cottage north of Winnipeg. Can anyone help steer me in the proper direction re: building plans, wood fired sauna stove etc... Any advice /suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm in the early stages of research/planning and want to avoid any pitfalls.

Reactions: Halberdier

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'm looking to build a 4- 6 person wood fired sauna to enjoy up at the cottage north of Winnipeg. Can anyone help steer me in the proper direction re: building plans, wood fired sauna stove etc... Any advice /suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm in the early stages of research/planning and want to avoid any pitfalls.
maybe just ask Laine and see what he suggests? :)

i looked into doing this in Toronto (yeah. with our small backyards, it was a stupid idea). i ended up deciding to get a steam built into my shower (renos are in a month).
if you want an outdoor steam/sauna, there are ways to do it. i'd suggest going with the barrel sauna. 2 people can assemble it. think it will be around $5000 for a good model.
i loathe costco, but they do sell a good one.
Costco Wholesale

you may want to talk to the company directly. there were some upgrades i looked at (i wanted a boiler that allowed water to be poured on it. most don't. also, there are outdoor lights, a door overhang, hooks, etc).

Cedar Saunas

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
maybe just ask Laine and see what he suggests? :)

i looked into doing this in Toronto (yeah. with our small backyards, it was a stupid idea). i ended up deciding to get a steam built into my shower (renos are in a month).
if you want an outdoor steam/sauna, there are ways to do it. i'd suggest going with the barrel sauna. 2 people can assemble it. think it will be around $5000 for a good model.
i loathe costco, but they do sell a good one.
Costco Wholesale

you may want to talk to the company directly. there were some upgrades i looked at (i wanted a boiler that allowed water to be poured on it. most don't. also, there are outdoor lights, a door overhang, hooks, etc).

Cedar Saunas

Thanks, lots of choice on the cedar saunas site. I'm hoping to keep the budget smaller if I can do most of the building myself versus prefab. Prefab does look nice and straight forward without any problems.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Where are closest Hot Springs to Winnipeg?

We are blessed in Vancouver with several within a few hours.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
So they should operate a naked restaurant? Or make people constantly get dressed and undressed?

Why should they operate a naked restaurant?

It’s against etiquette to go to a sauna wearing a swimsuit, and can get you thrown out from there. It’s pretty offensive to go to a sauna wearing clothes. They shouldn’t call it a sauna as that “experience” has very little to do with one.

Talk about cultural appropriation ,)

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
In 2005 I was riding with my friend through Europe on motorbikes. It was raining and I was cold and we found german hostel with "finnish" sauna on it.

It was heated for 60C, really dry and the heating system was sort of that there was a button on the wall and it gave few drops every few minutes to kiuas. Thank the Bear Gods the was no saunamaister. We found the control panel and broke into it and got the heat to 120C so it was somewhat warm. When we started drinking beer in the sauna the owner came shouting to us that it is dangerous and that we will die for sure lol.

Couple of days ago on a hiking trip I had chance to use realy old lumberjack sauna that had a big kiuas and needed to be heated for 4 hours. That was a 5 star experience.

Once in a wilderness hotel I went to a sauna (naked of course)and there was a french guy sitting there with his speedos. I sat next to him and asked "sava?"(sp? How are you) and the guy escaped immediately without saying anything...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad