Sportsnet: Of Course the Leafs are better with Kessel

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/of-course-the-maple-leafs-are-better-with-kessel/

An excellent read from Chris Johnston with some good quotes.. I've highlighted a few below:

It was Happy Phil that smiled through selfies with fans and signed autographs following Sunday’s practice at the Los Angeles Kings suburban facility. It was Happy Phil that responded to a reporter’s question about his favourite memory of the NHL all-star game by saying “I won a car one time” — a reference to that event’s inaugural fantasy draft in 2011, when he was selected last.

What’s more: His average of .93 points per game ranks seventh in Leafs history among players with at least 400 games for the organization. His current string of 406 consecutive games is also second all-time for the club behind Tim Horton’s 486.

Kessel laughed when asked what it would take for him to miss a game.

“Something’s got to be really wrong,” he said. “I like to play. I’m a gamer.”

This city loves to absolutely dump on star players... I hope during the all-star game we're celebrating Phil rather than thinking we're better of without him. We've got one of the most prolific scorers in the league and in team history, and not enough of us stop to enjoy what we're watching. He's not perfect, but very good... surrounded by some not very good pieces. Lets leave it at that

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This has nothing to do with Phil as a player. He is amazing and is one of the best scoring wingers in the NHL. Its hard to be upset about that. But we are incapable of surrounding him with the appropriate talent he needs to be successful (I don't mean successful as in offensive production, I mean successful as in winning a cup.) Leafs lack a direction and if we take the route in which Kessel must play a major role in, we will have a much more difficult time surrounding him with the appropriate pieces to make him and the team successful.

If we decide to take the rebuilding route, using Kessel's high value as trade bait allows us to kickstart the rebuild in a tremendous way where we can get a good return worthy of a top 10 scorer in the prime of his career.

But people who mock and insult Kessel's character are a joke. The guy won a Masterton trophy for his dedication to hockey. He continues to be one of the most offensively productive players this league has had for almost half a decade in the most pressure-filled city in the league. He has great character.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
Like Atomos2 said, there are some people that just hate Kessel because...I don't really know why, they just do. The rest of us simply want to see him traded because he could get some really nice returns in a trade. It's nothing personal against the guy, his point totals speak for themselves, he is a prolific scoring winger and he does exactly that. But with our cap situation and a roster with some talent, but little chemistry and leadership, I think rebuilding is our best shot at getting a cup within the next ten years. we won't be able to add the pieces we need before our core ages out of their primes. Ideally I would love to keep Phil, hey who knows, we might finish out of a playoff spot, and magically win the draft lottery and get McDavid for essentially nothing against the cap. That would be cool and then I have no problems keeping Phil. But realistically that's not going to happen, and I don't believe this group of guys can get it done. So that's my personal rationale for wanting to trade Phil. If you believe this team can win the Cup with a couple of tweaks then obviously keeping Phil is a must. Just depends how you see the team.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
^^
I would only trade Phil if we get back a better FORWARD. Basically that means: Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Tavares, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Seguin, Giroux. I would also consider one other player -- Ryan Johansen.

And realistically, we wouldnt get one of those guys without MASSIVE overpayment. The reason is that Kessel drives our offence. While we have some good pieces in our lineup, he is an offensive superstar up there with the top 5-10 in the world. If we are mediorce with him, than if we trade him for multiple pieces/prospects, then our offence would collapse, and right now, our only playoff hopes are rested on a high flying offence

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
^^
I would only trade Phil if we get back a better FORWARD. Basically that means: Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Tavares, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Seguin, Giroux. I would also consider one other player -- Ryan Johansen.

And realistically, we wouldnt get one of those guys without MASSIVE overpayment. The reason is that Kessel drives our offence. While we have some good pieces in our lineup, he is an offensive superstar up there with the top 5-10 in the world. If we are mediorce with him, than if we trade him for multiple pieces/prospects, then our offence would collapse, and right now, our only playoff hopes are rested on a high flying offence

There's no way JVR produces the numbers he does without Kessel at his side. Bozak's numbers away from Kessel are horrifying, and Kessel even made a point-per-game winger out of Lupul a few years back.

There is no doubt at all our offense would be terrible without Kessel. Luckily we haven't seen it because Kessel just never misses games, he's quite the ironman.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
People still just don't get it. Everyone and their mom knows Phil is a superstar. He's one of my favorite players and I wish he could have won a cup here. I think most people realize if it weren't for Phil we would probably be fighting with Edmonton, Carolina and Buffalo for first overall. Unfortunately all you need to do is look at this team. It's an aging cap team with nothing to it's name and nothing that is in the for seeable future. How fans don't think that's a problem I'll never know. Regardless Phil could net us an amazing package that helps us build a winner in the future. That is why you trade him. You cut your loses for the last 5 years and you move in a new direction.

Snacks Kassian

Mar 21, 2014
Vancouver
Nice guy, tries hard,loves the game

Sounds just like me, except I play in a beer league. I'm sure he loves playing hockey but that's all he likes, playing games. There is not a shred of evidence that he works on improving his game during the year or in the off season. I mean he only skates ten times in the off season, first one off the ice after practice to go play ping pong? He's going to wind up like lecavalier, rely on your supreme talent for your career and when you age the bottom falls right out of it, because you have brutal habits and have never worked to improve your game.

No doubt we are a better team with him, but the team as constituted can't contend with this guy. If you want to sneak into the playoffs and get pummelled in the first round then great. I would rather start the re tool asap instead of prolonging the agony.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Great character.....my rear end!

Hey Phil we have this new breakout we want to try....NO!

Hey Phil we want to try you on the Left side.....NO!

Hey lets not salute to the fans that will teach them to boo us!

The guy coast back in the D zone....fails to help his team get the puck out of our zone and you are saying this guy has character...he needs to go!

What will happen if we trade him, we may not make the playoffs, that would be something new! We have been nearly a lottery pick every year he has been here other then the shorten season. He is not helping us win that is for dam sure. Hell he almost blocked a shot the other night, and people on here were over the moon!

I will take hard work over skill every time, as hard work beats skill when skill does not work!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Edmonton/Carolina/Buffalo would be a better team with Kessel.
What does that mean exactly?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
^^

u think any of those teams would deal those players for KESSEL?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

leafs might be better with him ,just dont expect him to work harder or get in shape or show any leadership .....shanahan was right by telling certain players to grow up ..
i just cant see kessel every being any more than a one dimensional player
are the leafs better with him now OF COURSE !
without him wed be a lottery team .....with him a a bubble wild card club

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I really think some people in this fan base/city would like a team full of Darcy Tuckers.

And I don't mean that with any disrespect to Tucker, But we're watching one of the more talented leafs in quite a while; And people want kick him out of Toronto for having a disagreement Steve Spott effectively.

It's shame that we can't appreciate him the we really should.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I really think some people in this fan base/city would like a team full of Darcy Tuckers.

And I don't mean that with any disrespect to Tucker, But we're watching one of the more talented leafs in quite a while; And people want kick him out of Toronto for having a disagreement Steve Spott effectively.

It's shame that we can't appreciate him the we really should.

I think people just want the front of the Jersey to be relevant. If it's a good team with #81 on the back great. If its a good team without, that's fine too.
We have important holes to fill on this team before Kessel can make us better than a 10th place team.
Will that happen during his twenties? Unknown.

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
You can teach defense, you cannot teach elite goal-scoring.

Kessel is top 2 in points and goals in the NHL over the last 5 seasons. But yes, let's get rid of the most dynamic offensive player this team has seen in the last 30 years. That sounds like a great plan.

How about trying to surround him with a complementary defensive player, rather than trading away our only good offensive forward.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can teach defense, you cannot teach elite goal-scoring.

Kessel is top 2 in points and goals in the NHL over the last 5 seasons. But yes, let's get rid of the most dynamic offensive player this team has seen in the last 30 years. That sounds like a great plan.

How about trying to surround him with a complementary defensive player, rather than trading away our only good offensive forward.

You don't think they've been trying?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad