Proposal: OEL to Edmonton

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The problem here is the 1st is a 2019, and I understand why when you're giving up Klef and Puljujarvi, but next year Arizona will start with both of those players and not really be better off, so this trade is making them wait an extra year for a prospect that can fall anywhere in the first round and either be NHL ready, or years away. I think Arizona is tired of waiting and stocking up on prospects for the future, if they trade OEL, it needs to be in a package that makes them immediately better. Just my two cents since I'm not a Coyotes fan.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I have a hard time giving up this much for an unsigned player with one year on his deal. This is close to the price I would expect if we had an extension in place (or in principle) before the trade, but not just as a trade without a contract.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton is in no position to top trade assets for a pending UFA, no matter how good that player is. Unsigned is a non-starter.

member 157595

Even more likely that the Coyotes draft Dahlin and keep OEL. Any OEL trade to the Oilers starts with Drai coming back, FYI...
Nobody trades a Drasaitl-caliber player for a guy that close to UFA. Especially not the Oilers, who are not known for being a prime UFA destination.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Nobody trades a Drasaitl-caliber player for a guy that close to UFA. Especially not the Oilers, who are not known for being a prime UFA destination.
An extension will be agreed to before any trade. For the Coyotes to get value, the Oilers or any other team will know they have an extension that will be signed right after the trade. The coyotes are going to sign him, and if not he won't sign long term with the Oilers, so it will never happen anyway.

Reactions: Jakey53

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Nope a move just waiting to blow up in our faces especially with Magoo in charge of making that trade right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
:edmonton Oliver Ekman-Larsson (unsigned), Christian Fischer
:coyotesOscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2019 1st unprotected.

Who adds?
Isn't OEL a UFA at the end of next season?.....any blockbuster would be a big risk unless they're absolutely convinced he'll re-sign in Edmonton. It's basically the same reason Buffalo couldn't get value for Evander Kane.....nobody is going to cough up valuable assets for a rental player.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
:edmonton Oliver Ekman-Larsson (unsigned), Christian Fischer
:coyotesOscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2019 1st unprotected.

Who adds?
Unsiged OEL doesn't even get you close to the return.

Look at what Jay Bouwmeester got dealt for from Florida...Dougie Hamilton (granted he was RFA)

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Oilers should pass. The team is better off taking the chance that Klefbom rebounds, and Puljujarvi takes the next step(he's only 19 years old ffs). One year of OEL isn't worth that

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
The problem here is the 1st is a 2019, and I understand why when you're giving up Klef and Puljujarvi, but next year Arizona will start with both of those players and not really be better off, so this trade is making them wait an extra year for a prospect that can fall anywhere in the first round and either be NHL ready, or years away. I think Arizona is tired of waiting and stocking up on prospects for the future, if they trade OEL, it needs to be in a package that makes them immediately better. Just my two cents since I'm not a Coyotes fan.

They're not trading for futures they're trading for 2 young NHL players

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's more likely that the Oilers win Dahlin than the Coyotes trade OEL to Edmonton.
OEL was an interesting target, but it seems the team has turned around, so this is no longer and interesting trade target imo.

Maybe Oilers can nab Karlsson. That seems to be picking up steam.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
First of all, if the pick is a 2019 1st then why not just wait until July 1st when the Oilers could already have an extension worked out with OEL? Also, with doing it then we'd know whom each team drafted in this years draft. Maybe the Yotes draft Dahlin making OEL expendable, maybe the Oilers grab the #2 pick and Poolparty becomes expendable. It just makes more sense to me to wait on this deal til July 1st and see where each team is AFTER the draft

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They're not trading for futures they're trading for 2 young NHL players

What I said was "Arizona will start with both of those players and not really be better off"

I also mentioned the 2019 first being a year away and how Arizona doesn't need that, because that player could be years away. If they're moving OEL, they need something immediate, and I don't think the players traded will help them that much.

This is also a pretty big risk for the Oilers. I don't see this being ideal for either team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad