OEL being mentioned on main boards as Norris candidate

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I took a job with less potential promotion. Job I'm in now is only 15 minute commute one way as opposed to 60 minutes one way. The savings in gas and time, 7 1/2 hours to myself, more than make up for it. Worth it not to have to fight traffic. Money isn't everything.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
In fairness to the question, would I take 10% less to stay where I'm at if I'm making millions of dollars and I like where I'm at, of course.

There is a position of wealth that once you cross, making $5m versus $5.5 million isn't going to make that big of difference...it's all relative.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
In fairness to the question, would I take 10% less to stay where I'm at if I'm making millions of dollars and I like where I'm at, of course.

There is a position of wealth that once you cross, making $5m versus $5.5 million isn't going to make that big of difference...it's all relative.

See, that's right here is the problem. I'm sorry for picking on you, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. You have no idea what you would do. What makes you think that $ 5K for you is more important than $ 500K for an NHL player? You're making a theoretical statement here, which means nothing. Absolutely nothing. A whole bunch of wind.

The reality is, I read all these comments, and not ONE person ever took a pay cut out of loyalty around here. Saying 'I could make more somewhere else' is ********, unless you actually got a significantly better offer that you turned down. A REAL offer. Or a REAL pay cut, not a temporary pay freeze.

This **** seriously pisses me off. I come from a country where jealousy of rich, successful people is pervasive. This type of demagogy and elite-hating lead to 75% taxes for people making $ 1M or more. No, I'm not making this **** up. Because, you know, it's the fair thing to do right? Who needs more than $ 1M per year? Well, guess what happens? All those awful rich people leave, and you end up with mediocrity for all.

Ugh. Every time I see those moronic statements about 'the love of the game' , 'team loyalty', or 'greedy owners' I want to throw up. It's a big money, performance-based business, with the best players in the world competing for a few spots. What the **** do you expect? Everybody holding hands singing kumbaya?

EDIT: actually, you should put your money where your mouth is and ask for a 10% pay cut tomorrow, for the good of the business. I am 100% sure your employer will appreciate it. You might even help create a new position. Or the owner might pocket it, but who cares? At least you were loyal. Yay!

/rant

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
But I've already taken less to stay in Phoenix, because I didn't want to live in California. One of the questions above stated that I stayed out of 'loyalty', which isn't the case. I stayed because I didn't want to move to SoCal. I stayed and didn't take the job paying $30k more.

I wouldn't have stayed out of loyalty, I would have stayed because that is where I wanted to be and I was comfortable.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm on a different mode when it comes to work. I'm more about job security than loyality and pay to an extent. Like anyone else, I want to make the most money as I can and retire at a nice age without having to work again if at all posssible. Based on what I have learned, I'm willing to take less pay if it means I know I'm in a position where I still have a job for years to come and not one that is higher pay and I could be out of a job in the near future.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Players travel for a living. It's not really comparable to a normal job. Would OEL take less to stay with a great coaching staff, in a good city, to be the face of a franchise? Maybe. The Coyotes can offer 8 years. But there are plenty of negatives, and teams slinging the money and picks to get him on an offersheet would have plenty of pluses for him to consider. So, to me, it's a wash.

If the league lets a team offersheet him, then doesn't allow the Coyotes to match, I will officially stop watching NHL hockey. I can just see Ed Snider licking his chops, knowing Bettman doesn't have the balls or the power to tell a powerful owner not to do such a thing. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone tried to pilfer away Boedker, either. What a ****** time to not have an owner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad