O'Dell AHL player of the week

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think your Jets really have something here. His heart problem stunted 3 years of his development, he can really score. He is a high pick from a very good draft why hasnt he been called up?

http://theahl.com/icecaps-o-dell-named-player-of-the-week-p182646

Why:
The only forward from St. John's they've called up so far is Cormier for the 4th line which is more of Cormier's style than O`Dell. If they need someone for the third line, I'm sure he will get his chance.

He has done very well (even though his ~20% sh% is a bit unsustainable) as a scoring C for St. John's after spending a good amount of time in the pressbox last season. Although, he has been played on the wing a bit since Moulirat has been signed.
I'm sure he'll be fighting Lowry, Scheifele, Burmistrov and some UFA signings (including possibly Wellwood and Antropov) for top9 roster spots next fall.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think we're trying to establish a very disciplined long term approach to our prospects. We already have a full roster this year, and still trying to cement our forward lines.

We also didn't have a good training camp like all other teams. We'll have a better idea of where our prospects sit next year. Even last years camp wasn't all that good. First one of a team that moved and it was split squad.

Also consider the youngest prospect Chevy has on our roster is 24(Postma, Redmond, Kulda) excluding Cormier who is just filling a need short term.

So to answer your question, it's more the system than the player.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I like Odell...........He really progressed this year......... since last year he has been my favorite forward/ pet project player waiting to breakout......... I think he would bennefit most by playing top line minutes on the top line on the Rock for the last 14 games of the season in the AHL.

WE can bring him up as a press box /practice player for the Jets playoff run in April/ May when the roster expands.......

Its unfortunate about his heart problems 4 yrs ago as it robbed him from 3 full years in the AHL on his entry level contract...... due to his health problem (Heart) he played as an overager (20) in The OHL on his 1st year of his ELC instead of the AHL....

Next year in Tc will be huge for Eric O Dell and the Jets hope he can make the next step............

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I think your Jets really have something here. His heart problem stunted 3 years of his development, he can really score. He is a high pick from a very good draft why hasnt he been called up?

http://theahl.com/icecaps-o-dell-named-player-of-the-week-p182646
As others have mentioned, our forwards aren't being decimated by injuries. As it is, we're sitting out Burmistrov and we're currently at our roster limit. The roster limit goes away after the trade deadline (April 3rd), so this might be his chance.

There's always next year. Scheifele will probably be coming in to the team in October. But Antropov, Wellwood, and Miettinen are now in the final year of their contracts. That might open up a few slots for him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice to hear. I'll get his shot one day, and he will get it by being patient, working hard and doing what is asked of him.

bazaaa*

Is it not a possiblity to have him up here instead of someone else on the roster? Since this post he's scored 4 goals and 4 assissts in 4 games.

16 goals in his last 22 games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm sure he will get a long look at camp next year but I also think its best that he continues to grow in the AHL this year. This is the first real stretch since his heart problems where he has shown the offensive ability that lead to him being selected in the 2nd round and I think it would be more beneficial to let him continue to gain traction and confidence then bringing him up atm.

I'm a fan of his and his character and perseverance to overcome those problems are not only very impressive, but are things that our organization values very highly. I think he will be on the team by some point next year and will stick as a top 9 winger with the potential to play in the top 6 at some point.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
He stood out to me at the development camp last fall. I thought he was the second best player on the ice besides Zach Redmond. No one else has worked with Kane. I would love to see him get called up and see if there is any chemistry with Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad