Odds of a 2010 Type Playoff Run

Yukon Cornelius*

Clearly the biggest hole on our team.

Question is what can we do about it.

Nothing this season unless we're willing to package Couturier and some other forms of overpayment for a number 1 D.

As they are naturally in short supply and given all the parity in the league, the only potential trade partner I (cynically) see happening is with Phoenix. As long as the Coyotes remain in ownership limbo and still face a mountain of UFA/RFA contracts to maneuver, Large market teams such as the Flyers have a chance of pilfering a Keith Yandle or an Ekman-Larsson for below market prices.

But maybe that's just the life-long Montreal Expos fan in me talking.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Clearly the biggest hole on our team.

Question is what can we do about it.

The Whalers, Blues, Oilers, and Ducks had this problem for eons. The Oilers and Ducks are still lost at sea (despite Anaheim's record)

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Gotta get a winning streak going. Would have been nice to have those 2 points last night.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I actually thought the Flyers were turning it around and thought they would make the playoffs until that collapse last night. Then I figured it was over. Now I'm looking for a good draft pick, but Holmgren will trade it for an attempt to make the playoffs.

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
If we have any chance of making it to the playoffs, we need to get on a run NOW. Starting with Boston tomorrow. While very unlikely, I think if we can get bryz and the offense playing well at the same time it could happen. I'm not holding my breath though

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This year is more reminiscent of 2007 to be honest.

No it's not. It's halfway through the season, people have hope, and they're still within striking distance, they just need help.

In 06-07 the season was gone at the beginning of December. Half of that season was hoping we'd get a decent return on trading Forsberg. And then it was just getting to the summer and forgetting the previous 8 months happened.

Last edited:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
No it's not. It's halfway through the season, people have hope, and they're still within striking distance, they just need help.

In 06-07 the season was gone at the beginning of December. Half of that season was hoping we'd get a decent return on trading Forsberg. And then it was just getting to the summer and forgetting the previous 8 months happened.

Pretty much. It is a pretty dark time around these boards right now, given that it isn't half as bad as 06-07 was.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Flyers cannot compete with true cup contending teams. Look at how we play against Boston, NJ (who is also struggling but own us), NY... we can compete with other mediocre teams, but not the true cup contending teams.

That game against the pens really showed a flaw in our coaching... they were able to adapt, we were not.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The first 8 games killed us:

2-6-0 for 4 points in 8, 16 gf, 23 ga, 25% win

19 games since then

10-8-1 for 21 points, 59 gf, 59 ga, 55% win

That would be good for 7th or 8th seed if that form was throughout.

buff

Aug 16, 2005
Quebec city
They need a win streak richt now... 5 or 6 win in a row.... I don't believe Flyers can swept the home and home vs NJ this week...

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Home : 8-4-1
Away : 4-10-0

What's wrong with this team on the road? Why are we struggling that much?

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I dont know if I could handle the Leafs being in and the Flyers out.

In fact, the thought just makes me depressed.

I see this season as the unfortunate stepback that could lead to a bigger leap forward. I don't see the Leafs as a true Cup contender, so eeking into the playoffs for an early loss doesn't do it for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00