Odd question regarding hockey gear smell

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Not sure exactly how to post this so everyone understands my question, but will keep it as simple as possible.

Right now I am only playing once per week, which is fine (OK, no it's not fine.....but that's a whole other story). I always shower at the rink after I done. Nice body/hair wash, and always put deodorant on too. It seems though, I always have this linger smell of stale, smelly hockey equipment smell in my nose the rest of the night and next day. Odd because nobody else smells it - I've had my wife smell my hands/arms/etc. and she doesn't smell it.

Any thoughts?

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
Not sure exactly how to post this so everyone understands my question, but will keep it as simple as possible.

Right now I am only playing once per week, which is fine (OK, no it's not fine.....but that's a whole other story). I always shower at the rink after I done. Nice body/hair wash, and always put deodorant on too. It seems though, I always have this linger smell of stale, smelly hockey equipment smell in my nose the rest of the night and next day. Odd because nobody else smells it - I've had my wife smell my hands/arms/etc. and she doesn't smell it.

Any thoughts?
Olfactory Reminiscence and Retention Effect. Increased volume of nasal hair compounds the issue.

Last edited:

Pablo Messier

Jan 25, 2019
Maybe the scent of the bodywash reminds you of the rink and gear. Try using something odorless for showering. Get your nose used to your own stink.

Sciencechick

Sep 1, 2021

Any thoughts?

Sciencechick

Sep 1, 2021
Hi, we tested hockey gear in the lab. It is basically covered in a biofilm which is a sticky bunch of mould and bacteria. My guess is the fungal spores are adhering to your nose hairs and epithelial cells.

Reactions: LarryO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad