Oculus Rift

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I just tried HTC Vive and PSVR, west ed has demos at the Microsoft story, at a kiosk by ice palace, and the Samsung store (broken at the moment) for you edmonyon residents

Wow. I have to say I'm seriously disappointed. The technology simply isn't there. The HTC vive has very significant screen door effect and the psvr has way too low of a resolution

If you're going to get vr I'd have to recommend psvr, but I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
For $700-$1200 did not expect the expect the display technology to be that flawed.

I will say though that I have no idea what people are talking about with the move controllers they work almost identical to the vive controllers

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm curious, what game(s) did you play?

The screen door effect is going to be there no matter what with your eyes that close to a screen. I will say I have a Vive and you hardly notice it if at all while actually playing games. The worst part is reading small text which could become really difficult. Fortunately, there's not really much reading involved in VR games, the devs are surely aware of how difficult it can be, and menus are often huge so reading is not a problem.

That being said, VR really isn't about the display or graphics, as evidenced by how bad the graphics are in games due to how demanding the games are. It's about immersion and even with the worst graphics in VR, it's more immersive than the best graphics on a TV/monitor. VR is absolutely about a whole new experience.

I've never felt more badass in a video game than the first time I played Space Pirate Trainer and I'm shooting at robots to my right, while holding a shield to my left to protect me from robots shooting on that side and having to duck from robots shooting in front of me.

The only time I've truly laughed maniacally in a video game is while playing Serious Sam VR where I can see myself dual wield rocket launchers and shoot at a monster 20 stories talling throwing huge boulders at me.

I have never played an online shooter like Onward which is easily the closest thing I've played to real life combat.

It's a great workout, Audioshield or Holoball gets you sweating within minutes and is really addictive.

Vanishing Realms makes me feel like a child again playing RPGs on NES. Not much direction, just go out and explore the world, and the combat is so satisfying and fluid whether it's bow & arrow or sword & shield.

I haven't tried PSVR but I fail to believe it could ever compare to Vive. Playstation 4 just can't compare to a high end gaming PC. And seeing how demanding VR games are on PC, I fail to believe you're going to get a great experience on a much weaker system. Not to mention roomscale, roomscale is an absolute must. I wouldn't mind trying a Rift when they get roomscale set up but I don't know anyone who has it and it's going to be even more expensive than a Vive, plus I don't want to support their shady business practices.

VR is definitely quite the experience, I can't speak highly enough about it. I get the skepticism online after how hyped people got for 3D TVs or motion controls and then actually trying it and seeing how lackluster or disappointing it was. I was skeptical of VR at first too, but then I tried a Rift. I first thought the same thing, "holy ****, this screen door effect is insane." But, within minutes, I looked past that, and entered a whole new world of gaming that none of us had ever been in before.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Well look, the immersion is real, I almost put the vive controllers down on my "desk" in job simulator to adjust the headset when I was getting a slight bit of screen glare, before I remembered there was no desk

On the vive I did an ocean video with the blue whale, job simulator, and the bow and arrow game.

Along with the screen door effect the display just leaves something to be desired. It's maybe a slight hint of fogginess I caught. Maybe I'll catch the demo again if I get a chance, but even on that pc the resolution could have been improved

On psvr I played batman, which is by far the best experience despite the extremely low resolution (though the bow and arrow game was great). As you said it's not all about graphics, motion, headtracking and depth perception gave you the feeling that you were batman and you were at a desk and you were using a bow and arrow, but again, the display technology just isn't there

Would not touch vr this generation personally and if it never improves I don't know if I'd be willing to put that much money into that considering what I perceived in my short viewing as a deal breaking flaw

Edit: just to be clear the reason I liked the Ps4 more is that I found the headset much more comfortable and the screen was a bit better despite being lower res display. Less of a screen door effect I found.

Was not a fan of the straps on the vive. I think the entire next generatipn of headsets will be copying sonys

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The only VR I've tried so far was the headset that came with my uncle's Galaxy S7. Obviously, a pre-rendered video is going to be different than a game... and of course, the platform is drastically different - but I was very impressed.

I do want to try a game on something like the Vive or Oculus. I won't buy this generation, but I'm pretty stoked about VR.

Something I'm really looking forward to - this may be years away, but I have to think that at some point, Hollywood has to get on board, and VR their movies... maybe even eventually going toward quase-dynamic movies (ie, the actual scene is scripted and filmed, but inconsequential parts of your environment may move around and respond to your presence). I think Hollywood will lag behind the game industry - but if VR sticks like it should, the entertainment industry is going to become amazing, even if it has to be dragged there kicking and screaming.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
I wasn't too optimistic about VR, but picked up PSVR about a week ago for the hell of it.
Have to say I love it. Had a bunch of friends who have no interest in gaming in general try it, and they loved it as well.

Until Dawn is probably the most "fun" I've had with a game since Sunset Overdrive.

The tricky thing with the platform is that watching gameplay footage online really won't ever do a game justice, so often time it's tough to determine if a title is worth picking up. Plenty of demos out there though.

Putting on the batsuit in Arkham VR will have you giggling like a 5-year old.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Arkham was really fun,

I was gonna say my friend never tried out the HTC vive because he was embarrassed when he saw me playing job simulator. He even signed the waiver but jusy changed his mind. Apparently there were some old Asian people watching and laughing their heads off at me eating donuts and drinking coffee and throwing stuff at the people in the cubicles and he just changed his mind

So yeah you're definitely going to look stupid if you try out some of these demos in a public space

RoadDoggFL

Mar 15, 2007
New Orleans, LA
rvb.roosterteeth.com
I haven't tried PSVR but I fail to believe it could ever compare to Vive. Playstation 4 just can't compare to a high end gaming PC. And seeing how demanding VR games are on PC, I fail to believe you're going to get a great experience on a much weaker system. Not to mention roomscale, roomscale is an absolute must.

Lol, please tell me more about how bad the product you've never tried actually is. People overestimate the importance of graphics, but they only get you so far.

I'm looking forward to building a new PC and buying a gen 2 Vive, but the PSVR is more than cool enough to last me until then.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Lol, please tell me more about how bad the product you've never tried actually is. People overestimate the importance of graphics, but they only get you so far.

I'm looking forward to building a new PC and buying a gen 2 Vive, but the PSVR is more than cool enough to last me until then.

It's not about the importance of graphics, I've even stated in that same post that the graphics are very lackluster. The problem is framerate. There's A LOT to compute in VR. I'll get random framedrops playing Vive games and it can be disorienting. Judging by the fact that many games on PS4 are capped at 30fps (often times not even at 1080p,) I find it hard to believe that a PSVR will be able to maintain a high enough frame rate to keep everything looking crisp.

Also, I could be wrong because I admittedly didn't do too much research on it, but I doubt PSVR has roomscale judging by how it works. I didn't think much of roomscale until I actually tried it. It is an absolute must to truly make VR immersive.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
By the way, regarding PSVR, I've been sitting on this for a while because I was questioning my sanity but it turned out I was right.

The games do look significantly worse than all the captured footage online. Thats because that box you set up has an external processor that up-res's the game to the "social screen" but not to the actual headset. All the captured footage is from the social screen and not the headset gameplay.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm dying to try out this tech but it seems like it won't hit the mainstream until Microsoft's $300 setup is released.

The system requirements for the better Rift and Vive games seem really high as well. And they seem to need several USB 3.0 ports. I was hoping to get a gaming laptop that could support VR, but I can't afford the likes of Alienware, just MSi or other low-end options.

If Sony could have future-proofed PSVR better I'd be in, but...ugh.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I'm curious, what game(s) did you play?

The screen door effect is going to be there no matter what with your eyes that close to a screen. I will say I have a Vive and you hardly notice it if at all while actually playing games. The worst part is reading small text which could become really difficult. Fortunately, there's not really much reading involved in VR games, the devs are surely aware of how difficult it can be, and menus are often huge so reading is not a problem.

That being said, VR really isn't about the display or graphics, as evidenced by how bad the graphics are in games due to how demanding the games are. It's about immersion and even with the worst graphics in VR, it's more immersive than the best graphics on a TV/monitor. VR is absolutely about a whole new experience.

I've never felt more badass in a video game than the first time I played Space Pirate Trainer and I'm shooting at robots to my right, while holding a shield to my left to protect me from robots shooting on that side and having to duck from robots shooting in front of me.

The only time I've truly laughed maniacally in a video game is while playing Serious Sam VR where I can see myself dual wield rocket launchers and shoot at a monster 20 stories talling throwing huge boulders at me.

I have never played an online shooter like Onward which is easily the closest thing I've played to real life combat.

It's a great workout, Audioshield or Holoball gets you sweating within minutes and is really addictive.

Vanishing Realms makes me feel like a child again playing RPGs on NES. Not much direction, just go out and explore the world, and the combat is so satisfying and fluid whether it's bow & arrow or sword & shield.

I haven't tried PSVR but I fail to believe it could ever compare to Vive. Playstation 4 just can't compare to a high end gaming PC. And seeing how demanding VR games are on PC, I fail to believe you're going to get a great experience on a much weaker system. Not to mention roomscale, roomscale is an absolute must. I wouldn't mind trying a Rift when they get roomscale set up but I don't know anyone who has it and it's going to be even more expensive than a Vive, plus I don't want to support their shady business practices.

VR is definitely quite the experience, I can't speak highly enough about it. I get the skepticism online after how hyped people got for 3D TVs or motion controls and then actually trying it and seeing how lackluster or disappointing it was. I was skeptical of VR at first too, but then I tried a Rift. I first thought the same thing, "holy ****, this screen door effect is insane." But, within minutes, I looked past that, and entered a whole new world of gaming that none of us had ever been in before.
I'm really liking Hordez and Kittypocalypse. Onward looks great but I need to play around with it a bit more before I'm willing to get into the multiplayer, it's a steep learning curve, for me at least.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Very bizarre ruling in the zenimax lawsuit today. Oculus was found not guilty of stealing trade secrets but was fine $500 million for breaking NDA. That's not chump change even for Facebook.

RoadDoggFL

Mar 15, 2007
New Orleans, LA
rvb.roosterteeth.com
So Farpoint and Star Trek Bridge Crew are both extremely tempting... Some great-looking PSVR games out there, and I'm building a PC for Destiny 2, so I'll be in the market for a new VR headset if a new one has higher resolution than the Vive and/or eye tracking.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Probably going to be a couple years for that still. (At least, a good quality VR headset)

Still having fun with the Oculus Rift though. Assuming it lasts until the upgrade, that's $600 dollars well spent.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So Farpoint and Star Trek Bridge Crew are both extremely tempting... Some great-looking PSVR games out there, and I'm building a PC for Destiny 2, so I'll be in the market for a new VR headset if a new one has higher resolution than the Vive and/or eye tracking.

Yeah, the aim controller with farpoint is simply incredible. It might be a little too ahead of it's time to "revolutionize" first person shooters. But it's definitely where the future lies for that genre. You are literally holding a gun that looks and feels just like one. Tracking is plenty good enough as well. It's just so different holding what feels like a real gun that you can pull up and aim with one eye.

That aside, it's pretty strange that I have a psvr but don't really actually play it that much. Every time I do turn it on, I'm completely blown away. But still don't find myself playing it that often. I don't know why. More than anything I show it off to friends it seems like. And every single person I've shown it to is completely and utterly blown away.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We're not far off from a 4K HMD (full RGB, preferably), or possibly even higher. And eye tracking already exists. I'd love for a consumer headset to have one or both, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't one released by next Christmas.

2018-2020 Is gonna be huge

RoadDoggFL

Mar 15, 2007
New Orleans, LA
rvb.roosterteeth.com
People have been calling each year since like 2013 The Year of VR, and I knew it wasn't gonna be last year with the commercial HMDs just launching, but I really thought it could've been this year if the second gens were released. Already a decent PC library for the Rift and Vive, I thought a year of refinement would put the market over the edge, especially with that year including releases on PSVR providing inspiration.

2018-2020 might be a safer bet, but I'm still hoping someone can check at least two of the big boxes this year and give me something to be excited about in the PC VR space. I know Valve has their new controller, but without a new headset that improves the visuals (Sony has a comparative experience with a 1080p screen because they know optics and went with a full RGB panel, I want someone to one-up that and help me justify an expensive PC) it just won't be enough.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Giving this a bump with the announcement of the Rift S and the Oculus Quest launching in the next few weeks.

The S seems like a bit of a sideways step, but I'll still consider it depending on the reviews upon release.

The most immersive gaming experience I've ever had was playing Elite Dangerous in VR. You don't appreciate the scale until you're in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad