October schedule madness

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I was just looking at our schedule this morning. Do you guys realise we don't start until the 15th, and between the 15th and Halloween we have 3 back to back games? Is it possible October will be the month Desjardins gets fired if we don't perform very well? For example, our first two games are back to back... Flames then Eddie Lack.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
It's a difficult schedule, for sure. I think this is where the Canucks have to build on momentum from the World Cup. Sweden looks kind of stacked on defense, hopefully they can play deep into the tournament.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I was just looking at our schedule this morning. Do you guys realise we don't start until the 15th, and between the 15th and Halloween we have 3 back to back games? Is it possible October will be the month Desjardins gets fired if we don't perform very well? For example, our first two games are back to back... Flames then Eddie Lack.

I'd still say December is when he gets fired.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

This year's schedule for a few teams are crazy. In march the oilers have one road game...that means they spend a lot of time on the road early

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, I'd rather have the back-to-backs earlier in the schedule than later....but in terms of WD, I'd vote for mid-November or the U.S. November Thanksgiving for the broom to come out....that's the point at which the odds for teams below the playoff bar start to lengthen astronomically.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Actually, I'd rather have the back-to-backs earlier in the schedule than later....but in terms of WD, I'd vote for mid-November or the U.S. November Thanksgiving for the broom to come out....that's the point at which the odds for teams below the playoff bar start to lengthen astronomically.

I was thinking the same. Fresh legs should handle it ok.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
It's a crazy year with the mandatory 5 day break and the World Cup eating into the season. It feels a little like an Olympic year TBF.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Generally coaches get fired because the team on the ice is under-performing the team they had on paper. If the Canucks start slow, would that really be under-performing to expectations?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Generally coaches get fired because the team on the ice is under-performing the team they had on paper. If the Canucks start slow, would that really be under-performing to expectations?

Really depends on how they play and protect third period leads....last year's team was a total outlier in this regard....worst record by a mile.....I'd say if that trend were continue the axe would have to fall behind the bench.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Willie is done at years end regardless of how the season goes. He's not a coach you win with, so for now he fits the bill nicely.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't think Willie gets canned at any point of the season - it's right or die with him I think, until offseason evaluations.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think Willie gets canned at any point of the season - it's right or die with him I think, until offseason evaluations.

Sadly you're probably right....apparently WD lives on because he inexplicably got signed to a four-year contract and the owner, who's already paying for the departed Torts, doesn't want to pay the salary of two fired coaches.....now isn't that a ringing endorsement!:shakehead

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I thought that once the Blue Jackets signed Torts, the Canucks were no longer on the hook.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
It's a crazy year with the mandatory 5 day break and the World Cup eating into the season. It feels a little like an Olympic year TBF.

Fortunately this Xmas, the NFL saves us.

The NHL having a Xmas break is ridiculous. They should have to play.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sadly you're probably right....apparently WD lives on because he inexplicably got signed to a four-year contract and the owner, who's already paying for the departed Torts, doesn't want to pay the salary of two fired coaches.....now isn't that a ringing endorsement!:shakehead

Pretty mouth stuck with him until his contract is over IMO. so how many years left? :cry: Two?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Trevor Linden is going to come out Oct 1st, and declare Willie Desjardins is safe for the year in a preemptive strike rivaling only his colleague Jim Benning giving Brandon Sutter a retroactive no trade clause and massive contract extension before even playing a game, because that is how this organization operates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad