GDT: Oct 30, 2016 @ 7:30PM: Washington Capitals vs Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Special teams will sink this team until the end of time.

Brodie was a lot better, Johnny and Monahan need to figure it out tho. Top Line is not Top Lining. Please put Brouwer there.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I was hoping ferland would think quickly and pick up the more dangerous player in the slot on the first goal.

Dumb penalties like engellands on the second goal are things you can't do if you want to beat teams like washington

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
3-1 in the last four, not bad.
and more or less losing by one goal to the team many think will repeat as the President's Trophy Champions ain't that bad of an outcome. We really slowed them down after the first little bit, so I definitely see some positives despite the loss.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
and more or less losing by one goal to the team many think will repeat as the President's Trophy Champions ain't that bad of an outcome. We really slowed them down after the first little bit, so I definitely see some positives despite the loss.

We got very lucky. Elliott made some excellent saves and the Capitals seemed to really coast in the 3rd.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if we need different coaching styles for our different players.

Under Hartley's system the high skill guys really seemed to flourish. Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Gio. However, the rest of our roster really struggled to play that high skill game. The depth players look much more comfortable in Gullys defence first system.

There are certain players that have to be able to do their thing. Gaudreau, and Brodie especially need to start playing more on instinct, right now they are thinking too much. Players that good need to trust their instincts. And it worries me these guys are being over-coached a bit.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

We didn't do anything to slow them down. Elliott's the only reason this wasn't a blowout. They totally neutrailzed our offense and forced us into several turnovers inside our own blueline

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Scratch Monahan or at least cut his minutes severely. He's been absolutely terrible to start the season; weak back injury excuse or not.

At the very least, switch up the lines

Gaudreau-Bennett-Chiasson
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Monahan-Brouwer

And Brodie looks way better on the right side.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Scratch Monahan or at least cut his minutes severely. He's been absolutely terrible to start the season; weak back injury excuse or not.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Monahan-Brouwer

Those lines look much better. Chiasson is the only problem, but it's possible he has better chemistry with Bennett who plays a more similar style.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm starting to wonder if we need different coaching styles for our different players.

Under Hartley's system the high skill guys really seemed to flourish. Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Gio. However, the rest of our roster really struggled to play that high skill game. The depth players look much more comfortable in Gullys defence first system.

There are certain players that have to be able to do their thing. Gaudreau, and Brodie especially need to start playing more on instinct, right now they are thinking too much. Players that good need to trust their instincts. And it worries me these guys are being over-coached a bit.

Star players almost always struggle with coaching style changes. They have to learn to walk before the creativity shines through. I feel as though, once the team completely settles in, we'll be a much better team in the long run

seatsy

Feb 6, 2014

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Monahan-Brouwer

I feel bad for Gaudreau, he's doing everything he can to drive that line. Some are saying he's been bad, but you can only do so much by yourself.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I've said it a few times and I'll say it again. Time to split Monahan and Gaudreau up.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Brouwer
Ferland/Versteeg - Monahan - Chiasson
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Versteeg/Ferland

Brodie - Hamilton
Giordano - Wideman
Kulak/Kevin - Engelland

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I've said it a few times and I'll say it again. Time to split Monahan and Gaudreau up.

Ferland/Versteeg - Monahan - Chiasson
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Versteeg/Ferland

Brodie - Hamilton
Giordano - Wideman
Kulak/Kevin - Engelland

That second line is atrocious :help:

I do agree that Hamilton should be on the top pairing, at least until Gio can figure his **** out.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Our top line has been atrocious. Something needs to change. I think Monahan could do well with more physical linemates.

Yeah, no arguments there. Just think that should be a sheltered 3rd line until Monahan can get back on track.

I do love the Johnny-Bennett-Brouwer line though. Time to reward the guys playing better.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If they are going to split up Gaudreau and Monahan, I'd just flip-flop Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

Gaudreau - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Monahan - Chiasson
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yup.
Monahan needs to wake up, he's been hot garbage minus getting some goals. You can pay a winger pennies to score goals, you need much more from your 'top line' centre.

His possession is among the worst on the team, every dman has Struggled with him on the ice; we need more out of a big centre like him.

Needs to be a thing. The Bs make sense

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
If they are going to split up Gaudreau and Monahan, I'd just flip-flop Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

Bouma - Stajan - Ferland

That top line has me super intrigued honestly. Backs and Frolik are already operating on wonder twins level; adding Gaudreau would make them even better I think. I really want to see this now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That top line has me super intrigued honestly. Backs and Frolik are already operating on wonder twins level; adding Gaudreau would make them even better I think. I really want to see this now.

Don't want anything to do with Splitting Chucky from the BackFro combo. He's been good there.

Also, I do not want to give Gaudreau defensive responsibilities. Which that line has plenty of.

Also if Monahan plays with Chucky and Chiasson that line will struggle a lot. None are play drivers. Monahan with Versteeg and Chiasson make sense because Versteeg loves the puck and is a good setup man. Monahan needs someone to just feed him, he isn't a playmaker at all.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Don't want anything to do with Splitting Chucky from the BackFro combo. He's been good there.

Also, I do not want to give Gaudreau defensive responsibilities. Which that line has plenty of.

All fair points, honestly. Perhaps a Gaudreau-Backs-Frolik line is something to try on the power play, but not 5v5.

Also if Monahan plays with Chucky and Chiasson that line will struggle a lot. None are play drivers. Monahan with Versteeg and Chiasson make sense because Versteeg loves the puck and is a good setup man. Monahan needs someone to just feed him, he isn't a playmaker at all.

Also true. Monahan-Versteeg should in theory be a good pairing regardless of the other winger. Chia or Tkachuk could both work on the opposite wing as they're both bigger bodies that could clear space to get the passing play going.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Bouma - Stajan - Ferland

I like these lines. I'd only switch Ferland and Chiasson, but other than that, I hope this happens! (likely not, though)

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Dont understand how were so bad on special teams when we have the star power to be much better. Really frustrating to watch for sure.

What's up with Monahan? Injury or something?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dont understand how were so bad on special teams when we have the star power to be much better. Really frustrating to watch for sure.

What's up with Monahan? Injury or something?
he missed the world cup and almost all of training camp with a back injury, a back injury that keeps you out that long can easily linger for months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad