GDT: Oct. 18th: Sabres @ Flames [TV: SN Flames]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
They wanted money, and they had to think about the emergence of new stars in Landeskog, Duchene, MacKinnon etc.

The alternative route would be to take the Boston approach and trade away the young guys instead of signing them as RFAs.
Or, don't give that money to guys like Iginla, Stuart and Soderberg instead of one of them.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I just hope they don't take these stats and think they had a good game, because they still had trouble consistently generating good opportunities.

I don't know what they're counting as scoring chances, because that game certainly didn't seem to involve a large number of scoring chances for Calgary. I can think of the post hit, the blocker save off Gio, and the chances by the fourth line on the PP as three good chances that weren't scored.

Meanwhile, the Sabres seemed to get into dangerous spots quite a bit, and fail to connect on a pass when they needed it.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I just hope they don't take these stats and think they had a good game, because they still had trouble consistently generating good opportunities.

I don't know what they're counting as scoring chances, because that game certainly didn't seem to involve a large number of scoring chances for Calgary. I can think of the post hit, the blocker save off Gio, and the chances by the fourth line on the PP as three good chances that weren't scored.

Meanwhile, the Sabres seemed to get into dangerous spots quite a bit, and fail to connect on a pass when they needed it.
They're counting shots from a specific location (front of the net, close). 19 scoring chances, given it includes OT, isn't "consistently generating good opportunities" given the number of shot generated.

On the other hand, 9 scoring chances against is very low. Which makes complete sense because the sabres were failing time and time again to generate anything at even strength outside of first and last few minutes in the 3rd.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I hope Gulutzan stop overplaying Giordano. He's struggling quite a bit compared to pretty much everyone else on D. No reason to play him 27 minutes every nights.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They're counting shots from a specific location (front of the net, close). 19 scoring chances, given it includes OT, isn't "consistently generating good opportunities" given the number of shot generated.

On the other hand, 9 scoring chances against is very low. Which makes complete sense because the sabres were failing time and time again to generate anything at even strength outside of first and last few minutes in the 3rd.

I found their strategy interesting, though, in that it seemed to be based on getting bodies to the net, establishing position there, and then getting the puck there. A lot of pucks just floated in from nowhere that nonetheless seemed very dangerous. Worked great for them against the Oilers, and nearly worked for them against us, too. On our end of things, every time we looked like we could throw a puck to the net, there were Sabres in the way, and if it did get through, we didn't really have guys there to crash it outside of Frolik's goal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lucky to get the win there, the first goal probably shouldn't have counted and Monahan deserved a penalty in OT right before the goal.

Ferland had a much better game, nice goal scored.
Bennett had a better game IMO.
Brodie was excellent in OT.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Definitely a better game from the team.

Our zone entries were a lot stronger and this is reflected in the possession stats. Our D are getting there but still feel very shaky. Gio for sure seems a little step behind at times. But man can O'reilly control the puck. His zone entries are amazing, slows down and always creates chances.

Im sure that OT goal will build confidence for both Money and Johnny. Money is growing is size and strength by the year and he should continue to use that. He just needs to get more confident with the puck. If he can continue to create space and slow the play down once we enter zone, that will go along way in helping 1st line produce.

Btw, I love Jokipakka. He seems to compliment Dougie well and is a very good stay at home D. Much prefer him to Russell.

Each game has been a step better than last, lets not lose that momentum. Build on this and win against Hurricanes in regulation!

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Lucky to get the win there, the first goal probably shouldn't have counted and Monahan deserved a penalty in OT right before the goal.

Ferland had a much better game, nice goal scored.
Bennett had a better game IMO.
Brodie was excellent in OT.

Not a penalty. It looked like he nudged him and Reinhart sold it. That's probably what the ref was thinking. He was playing physical.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Obviously biased as hell but the 1st goal counted

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-can-goal-count-after-whistle-1.221270

The precedent has already been set by the league, and the refs made the right call.

To me it sounded like the whistle went the moment the puck left Frolik's stick. Even if it had gone while taking the shot Lehner had already committed to laying prone before the whistle went and made his decision not to react before the puck was shot and the whistle had no impact on his play.

And the OT goal was a couple pet-peeves of mine at once Reinhart had an opportunity to play the puck or pin it into the boards and instead elected for dangerous option #3 to turtle 2 feet away from the boards and hold the puck to try and either bait Monahan into a penalty or spin away when Monahan picks a side to play him on. Monahan lets up on the impact to make sure he doesn't drive Reinhart into the boards and that's why the ref lets him off the hook.

I think that's the right call to make as the NHL has to figure out what to do in that situation they used to try saying "it's on the player getting hit for putting himself in a vulnerable position" then it switched to being on the guy hitting for "targeting a guy in a vulnerable position" but allowing contact that won't injure the player is what needs to be done to protect the players without allowing them to abuse the rules in those situations.

Last edited:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I first goal absolutely counted. When you saw the replay it was very clear the ref blew the whistle after the puck was in.

Much better effort from everyone, Matt was in beast mode last night. beauty goal and two monster hits. The kid is the perfect combination of **** disturber and talent. The kind of player you hate on other teams, but love to have.

I'm also very impressed with Jokkipakka, have been a fan of his since the Russell trade. He'll continue to get better as he settles in more

We still have some team discipline issues that need to be addressed, but we seem to be slowly improving overall.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Jokki has been nothing but solid since jumping in. I was about to say Engelland was probably our best dman last night, until he got undressed twice :laugh:, he's still been solid this year though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Jokki has been nothing but solid since jumping in. I was about to say Engelland was probably our best dman last night, until he got undressed twice :laugh:, he's still been solid this year though.

Loving the pairings now.
Happy with the Widedog and Grossmann sitting.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

I've said it since he's been here. He's almost ideal as our #6, but a little slow at times and can get burned. He usually makes up for it with his physical presence in front of the net (and in general). Really like the d pairings right now. If we reduce Wideman's value to junk status this season by not playing him so be it. At this point he's a detriment to our lineup...Which is a shame because the one preseason game I saw this year he looked quite good. I'm sure we'll see him in in the near future, but no reason to rush that.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think that's the right call to make as the NHL has to figure out what to do in that situation they used to try saying "it's on the player getting hit for putting himself in a vulnerable position" then it switched to being on the guy hitting for "targeting a guy in a vulnerable position" but allowing contact that won't injure the player is what needs to be done to protect the players without allowing them to abuse the rules in those situations.

I wanna talk more about this. In almost every game I've watched this season, there has been a boarding call because the player getting hit turned away from it deliberately when they saw the hit coming. This **** is ridiculous.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I wanna talk more about this. In almost every game I've watched this season, there has been a boarding call because the player getting hit turned away from it deliberately when they saw the hit coming. This **** is ridiculous.

Yah, I'm not saying Reinhart did it on purpose, but guys do know, they're vulnerable and somewhat protected by the refs when they're in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad