Oct 14 against the Rangers. 40 seconds to go. Jackets up 3-2. Face off in the defensive zone. Which two defensemen are you putting in? (Pick 2)

Early in the season, which 2 defensemen would you put in to hold a late lead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Interesting question. I like Provorov and... Gudbranson wouldnt be terrible there, puck is in the zone so he doesnt have to think too much and just clear bodies and block shots.

Really makes you see the value Jiricek will someday provide

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With 40 seconds to go I'm fine with hard off the glass and out. So Peeke is fine here, so is Gudbranson, and any of our big 3 veterans (Provorov, Werenski, and Severson). Voted Peeke and Provorov.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Man y'all are trippin.. Andrew Peeke is tailor-made for this situation. Certainly the best shot blocker on the team, and everyone's just dumping the puck out at that time of game so his lack of breakout ability doesn't factor in.

Reactions: Doggy

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I picked Werenski-Gudbranson, however I initially picked Provorov instead of Werenski.

Haven’t seen enough of Provorov/Severson to really make a pick, honestly, but, it’s hard to keep Gudbranson off the ice in this situation.

The more I think about it, I really hope Provorov/Severson are at the least nearly equal to Werenski in defending ability.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Man y'all are trippin.. Andrew Peeke is tailor-made for this situation. Certainly the best shot blocker on the team, .
What makes him “the best shot blocker on the team”??

He’s not good. He has to block so many shots because his gap control is terrible and the opposing teams take so many shots while he’s on the ice.

He’s also not good at blocking shots, imo. He just throws his body out there, does the same 2 things nearly every time, goes to one knee, turns his head and looks at the goalie, every time. Screens the goalie more often than actually blocks the shots.

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Jiricek fulfills his potential, so he would be. Right now Gudbranson and Provorov. Ivan is pretty underrated like Erik. Not forgetting the Babcock factor, who will be able to use them.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I know it's a compressed amount of time and the on-ice ask isn't complicated, but I went with Werenski-Severson on the assumption that they are regular partners and I like the idea that the D pair are guys that are used to playing with each other.

On further consideration, if we have trusted pairs on the PK that are different from our 5-on-5 pairs, I'd be OK with whoever is the first PK pairing.

Lastly, all of this assumes that this is a fresh start. We've been given some context but not enough, really. Have the Rangers pulled the goalie? How long have we been up and what has the play been like to the last minute/40 seconds/20 seconds? What if my player of choice has been on the ice for the last half-minute? I'm going to want a fresh body out there, and my guy rested for a shift-change/faceoff at 20 seconds. That kind of stuff.

I mean, I probably trust Bean and Gudbranson there, but that assumes Babcock opts to dress Bean. Boquist is probably the only guy I don't trust out there at all in the given scenario, assuming Babcock chooses to dress Boq.

Reactions: Monstershockey

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
This is hard to say because the date of the game is the second game of the season. The pairs won't be settled yet. I said Peeke and Provorov but there isn't a single combination here that would surprise me that early in the year.

Reactions: majormajor

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Upon more thought, I'm not exactly worried about the D in this situation. I see the arguments for a few D. I voted Werenski/Severson because I'd prefer the ability to make a play to get the puck out if possible, moreso than the ol' turtle shell style defense. I could be wrong.

Now, the tougher one for me is who are the three forwards in this situation? Kuraly/Jenner for faceoff purposes? Who else? This seems like the area of my concern.

Last years' PK TOI/game:
Kuraly 2:16
Robinson 2:12
Nyqvist 1:44
Roslovic 1:38
Foudy 1:06

Not exactly rife with good options, to me. I was surprised to see Jenner had only 0:42 on the pk, but I guess it makes sense with how taxed he is taking on 1C and PP duties.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Lastly, all of this assumes that this is a fresh start. We've been given some context but not enough, really. Have the Rangers pulled the goalie? How long have we been up and what has the play been like to the last minute/40 seconds/20 seconds? What if my player of choice has been on the ice for the last half-minute? I'm going to want a fresh body out there, and my guy rested for a shift-change/faceoff at 20 seconds. That kind of stuff.
Yep. This is all important things that factor into who you put out. Plus you can add more variables, such as, the guy I want out there is fresh, but has played a terrible game and I am not sure he can be trusted, or who are the Rangers putting out, what are the match ups. This situation would need a lot more context.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I had a longer write up but I don’t know how to do polls well. So I made it much shorter so it would fit. It was going to be the Rangers just called a time out to make sure their guys are fresh, so all our guys are fresh. They have pulled their goalie. The score is 3-2 because because I wanted it to be apparent that the Jackets have only given up 2 goals in 59 minutes to a good team, so nobody on defense looked too bad in the game.

Early in the season was intentional because that is what we are going to face right off. I went with the second game of the season, because I didn’t want someone to say “Well, Torts knows the weaknesses of X, so I wouldn’t put X out there.” X could be a lot of guys including Provorov.

I thought of putting full line ups out there too, but I didn’t want that to become something to argue about and divert the discussion away from defense. Like @ProfessorFink22 I would have Jenner and Kuraly because of face offs and both are defensively responsible. Robinson would have been my third forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad