Post-Game Talk: Ocho Greato - Johnson/Murray are amazing in 5-4 Penguins win. ColePens is awesome.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
The one thing he needs to work on is his puck retrieval. It's not good. He really struggles with it. He doesn't know where to go and he doesn't know what to do to set up the forward to miss him.

That's extremely coachable, though, especially when a guy like Letang and Daley are at practice every day.

I don't have much to base this on, other than gut feeling, but I could see Schultz maturing into a Niskanen-type player. Nisky matured with time/experience, and I could see Schultz becoming something of a Niskanen for us in a couple of years...

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
wow, went to the nhl site, saw the Pens won despite it being a shoot out

Started reading up 3-0 down :amazed::amazed::amazed: this team certainly has some belief that has been majorly lacking in many years.

Positives from this game for me: finding ways to win and the shorthanded goals were nice

Negatives: Powerplay (fix it :rant:) Failing to show up in the first period (again), can't be doing that come the playoffs. Reduce Letangs minutes

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I would love to sit down with Crosby, get him drunk and make him say what he really thinks about playing with Chris Kunitz all day, every day, every year, till the end of time.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Did anyone else notice Legwand (vet) and DB were having conversions on the bench a lot. Like the camera probably caught them talking on the bench 3 or 4 times that I saw. Adams must be devastated.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Speaking of Adams.... how great is it to be able to actually be able to score short handed?

What a a difference now with hagelin, bonino, kuhn and Cullen. Campare that with years of Adams, Glass, Lapierre etc etc. Those guys could probably go a full season without scoring a short handed goal between them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Did anyone else notice Legwand (vet) and DB were having conversions on the bench a lot. Like the camera probably caught them talking on the bench 3 or 4 times that I saw. Adams must be devastated.

How quickly Bylsma has moved on! :laugh: Somebody send Craig a copy of "How Stella Got Her Groove Back".

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I know the club is down two of its top four defenders, but Letang should not be playing 35+ minutes. He's either going to wear down and get hurt, or he's going to be completely gassed come playoff time.

Always fun to see Bylsma's team lose.

If he's going to play that many minutes, it might as well be against Buffalo, who's not exactly tough on defenders.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Decent game.. Seems like the Pens don't bring their effort (Devils), or take awhile to their effort going (Sabres) against the lesser teams.. Human nature to a point a guess, hopefully that's all it is..

I know people are giddy over Murray, but he needs more time.. I see him being over-playing shots constantly and leaving himself in poor position to make a follow up save. I think he'll be good, but he def has some things to work on.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Well that was an interesting game. The building was quite loud after that second shorthanded goal.

Murray was pretty shaky the entire game, everytime the Sabres got a shot on net, I was nervous :laugh: but he came up big when we needed him to

I had no idea Letang played 35 minutes. That's insane. Dial it down, man.

I thought Pouliot had a pretty solid game. He needs to work on his d-zone coverage, but he's been able to separate the player from the puck, so that's good.

Kunitz is terrible. Fumbling the puck all game. Passing it when he should've shot. Sigh.

3rd line is great. 3rd line is life.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I missed the game last night, but overplaying shots does not describe Matt Murray's game. The reason he is so good is because he anticipates the play so well and doesn't have to rely on athleticism (like MAF did early in his career) to make the big save.

Maybe he struggled finding pucks last night, so I don't want to comment on a game I didn't see, but overall his positioning is really sound.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I missed the game last night, but overplaying shots does not describe Matt Murray's game. The reason he is so good is because he anticipates the play so well and doesn't have to rely on athleticism (like MAF did early in his career) to make the big save.

Maybe he struggled finding pucks last night, so I don't want to comment on a game I didn't see, but overall his positioning is really sound.

He definitely struggled last night, almost everytime he made a save, he looked out of position.

But he's young. It'll happen.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

he's a guy that needs to play more. he just sat too long between games

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
No.

Schultz-Lovejoy gets sent out for 35 minutes of the game.

10 points

+15

Puck to the hand in game 1 of the playoffs after a dominant performance

Schultz wins the Norris and demands Toews money

A weight machine falls on Letang

There are more gut wrenching twists in this than in Game of Thrones

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Letang was a monster. Daley was decent. I thought Schultz was pretty solid. These pickups we made are fantastic.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I wonder if the coaching staff took note of Letang's performance in OT on sunday and are now testing his physical limits. I look forward to his 40:00 ice time in the next game :laugh:

You can't have 6 Letangs out there though.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Letang should get a legit chance at the Norris. Won't happen, which is a shame. No homer.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
- We missed tying the record for most short-handed goals, one penalty, by 1 and the record for most short-handed goals, one game by 2...

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Kuhn is REALLY finding his way. I cannot believe how he went from terribly awful to finding some absurd chemistry with Rust/Cullen. For a good bit, Kuhn was just riding the wave w/ Cullen/Rust. Now... he's one of the focal points on that line.

And once again, the 3rd line gets us going.

About a month after Kuhnhackl came up, he looked like he belonged in Europe somewhere. Since then, he looked like a bonafide NHLer who does all the little things, and can pot goals from time to time.

I love his play right now.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Oh and a couple more things. I thought Daley had a pretty subpar game. He was fumbling the puck a lot, and was burned on multiple goals against.

And Lovejoy is also terrible, that goal aside. He had a terrible holding penalty that led to a goal, and positionally, he's just not good. I can't wait till Dumo and Maatta come back...cause he needs to go.

And the only reason he'll play over Pouliot is because he's right handed.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
I was at the game yesterday. Yinzer girl with a high-pitched yet raspy voice behind me kept yelling "shoot the puck!" & "come on Sid!" even when they were in their own end & Sid wasn't on the ice. :laugh:

- 1st period
+ Letang (Not of this world)
+ 3rd Line
+ Pouliot - Letang was fun to watch

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I was at the game yesterday. Yinzer girl with a high-pitched yet raspy voice behind me kept yelling "shoot the puck!" & "come on Sid!" even when they were in their own end & Sid wasn't on the ice. :laugh:

- 1st period
+ Letang (Not of this world)
+ 3rd Line
+ Pouliot - Letang was fun to watch

Hey, her true love of menthol Marlboros is a demanding love. :laugh:

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Oh and a couple more things. I thought Daley had a pretty subpar game. He was fumbling the puck a lot, and was burned on multiple goals against.

And Lovejoy is also terrible, that goal aside. He had a terrible holding penalty that led to a goal, and positionally, he's just not good. I can't wait till Dumo and Maatta come back...cause he needs to go.

And the only reason he'll play over Pouliot is because he's right handed.

Ben Lovejoy is a self-correcting problem (I hope). There's no way we offer him a contract with Letang, Maatta, Daley, Dumo, Cole, Schultz, and Pouliot all signed or at least cost-controlled.

Right? Right?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ben Lovejoy is a self-correcting problem (I hope). There's no way we offer him a contract with Letang, Maatta, Daley, Dumo, Cole, Schultz, and Pouliot all signed or at least cost-controlled.

Right? Right?

I am fairly certain that the Despres for Lovejoy thing was entirely on Billy Geurin. Who should have been fired for it.

He has an unhealthy love for the guy, so who knows?

He should not be resigned.

He should not have been traded for in the first place, especially for Despres.

Should has zero to do with it when you are an idiot.

If Guerin has his way one of the others will be sent away for nothing to resign Lovejoy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad