Observations XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
also, another wild thing about arvidsson is that he scored those 34 goals in 58 games. he has 2 goals this year. it’s deeper than just falling off. laviolette versus Hynes. good luck getting anyone other than Taylor hall to sign here. Hell, he chose Buffalo. That should have told us everything.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
also, another wild thing about arvidsson is that he scored those 34 goals in 58 games. he has 2 goals this year. it’s deeper than just falling off. laviolette versus Hynes. good luck getting anyone other than Taylor hall to sign here. Hell, he chose Buffalo. That should have told us everything.
Probably wishing he hadn't now.

Jul 12, 2007
Buffalo was a good looking young team on the upswing. Plus Hall would be wise to sign where he could play with an Eichel, or McDavid, or Matthews.
Doesn’t explain what’s happened, but there was upside there for Hall.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Buffalo was a good looking young team on the upswing. Plus Hall would be wise to sign where he could play with an Eichel, or McDavid, or Matthews.
Doesn’t explain what’s happened, but there was upside there for Hall.

Their coach makes questionable line combinations (sounds familiar), Ullmark on IR and Hutton has been bad.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Why change coaches? A few observations or things to mull over about the Preds:
Why would Pekka sign up for another season of this?
We talk about trading Ekholm but why would he resign with this team if he becomes a UFA? He could get his asking price from a number if teams.
Why would Forsberg want to resign with Preds?
He could sign with anybody.
Trenin, whatever Preds expected, has probably been ruined by this year’s handling.
If Tolvanen continues to show promise would he want to play here?
Why would Farrance choose to sign here?
I could go on.
I know bucks change minds. I know we had the best fans/building to play for. I know it’s a great community to live in.
But from a pure hockey perspective it seems Preds are ruining too much future.
They need action if some sort real soon.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Why change coaches? A few observations or things to mull over about the Preds:
Why would Pekka sign up for another season of this?
We talk about trading Ekholm but why would he resign with this team if he becomes a UFA? He could get his asking price from a number if teams.
Why would Forsberg want to resign with Preds?
He could sign with anybody.
Trenin, whatever Preds expected, has probably been ruined by this year’s handling.
If Tolvanen continues to show promise would he want to play here?
Why would Farrance choose to sign here?
I could go on.
I know bucks change minds. I know we had the best fans/building to play for. I know it’s a great community to live in.
But from a pure hockey perspective it seems Preds are ruining too much future.
They need action if some sort real soon.

Well, Tolvanen and Trenin are both RFAs so they don't have a lot of power.
And if Farrance signs with us he can get to a real contract a year earlier.

With Forsberg and Ekholm you have to hope they really want to stay in the city I guess

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Well, Tolvanen and Trenin are both RFAs so they don't have a lot of power.
And if Farrance signs with us he can get to a real contract a year earlier.

With Forsberg and Ekholm you have to hope they really want to stay in the city I guess
Actually this was about changing coaches with the notion of why anyone would want to play for him.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Start slow, look awful most of the game (like the forwards in particular have no overall game plan and are just out there skating sort of hoping something connects), make a negative impact with the special teams, make at least one boneheaded play that costs a goal, and sort of make a game of it late only to come up short. I'd say tonight was a very good representation of the overall season so far.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
well, at least we made it kind of entertaining....in a sick, sadistic sort of way.

..if a team is never prepared to start a game, that's squarely on the shoulders of the coach.
..let's be honest, if rinne hadn't made about 4 really good stops they could easily have scored 9 goals, 6 in the first.
..i lost count of how many odd man rushes we gave up.
..josi with an awful game capped off by that anger penalty.
..i absolutely hate offside reviews. if the linesman doesn't call it it should always be considered on sides.

..fabbro looked lost out there tonight. just skated in circles most of the night.
..maybe, just maybe the forsberg-johansen-arvy line has started to find itself.
..duchene now hurt i guess.
..back to having PK problems it looks like. 4 now in the last two games.
..the boro-josi penalties in the third were just total lack of self discipline

..the only two "scoring chances" we generated in the first were both shot well wide of the net. we simply cann't shoot.
..underlying "numbers" that willy is so fond of only mean anything if you have the skill to accurately shoot a puck.
..what a chickenshit move to not challenge that hornqvist slap on rinne goal by hynes.

Don't know if we have ever had a team that has played so far below their potential. I watch now simply because i want to see the breaking point where we decide to fire hynes and begin trading players. Ah who i am kidding, i will never be able to look away from this trainwreck.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They should just make Josi a forward, that's what he wants to be anyways. I get so tired of watching how many times our actual forwards spend playing a defensive position for dang near an entire shift. The guy has talent but he has free reign to do what he wants and then everyone else is expected to cover for it. I'm not sold it's not one reason Fabbro is having a hard time. He's trying to be everywhere at once and just ends up being nowhere.

Reactions: Scoresberg

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Just think about the popularity Nashville would have for visiting teams if the mom's trips were happening this season. They would be guaranteed their little boy would look like a super star.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It was a terrible game for our defensemen. Ekholm was the only one that seemed to have come to play. A couple of random observations.

Granlund was left to be the lone physical presence in front of Pekka and clear out Barkov and Hornqvist at times. He plays the game the right way and gives his utmost effort.

One of the worst stretch "passes" I've ever seen after almost an entire shift in our zone. With three Panthers in a triangle in the middle of the neutral zone, our D-man tried to pass from our left side goal line, thread it across ice, through the neutral zone, to a forward who was covered. At least that's who I assume he was trying to pass to, as the puck didn't come within 40 feet of another yellow jersey. 0% chance of success. Bad decision, instant turnover, brought right back into our zone, middle of the ice wide open, and forced the other 4 on the ice to scramble back at the end of their shift. Pekka bailed them out, but he shouldn't have had to. Preds need a system that gives actual support by getting people open, identifying the open skater, and passing them the puck on their tape, instead of rimming, lazy backward passes, and blindly flinging the puck to a spot with crossed fingers.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I can't help but watch Barkov, and still think of what might've been. In retrospect it wasn't as close to happening as it felt at the draft time, but I think he was the guy I had mocked to us in my head and consequently read all about leading up to that draft.

Reactions: LCPreds

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I can't help but watch Barkov, and still think of what might've been. In retrospect it wasn't as close to happening as it felt at the draft time, but I think he was the guy I had mocked to us in my head and consequently read all about leading up to that draft.

Counterpoint: what would Barkov be today had he and Jones flipped?

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Head shot on Saros nets a fine.
Head shot on McKinnon nets 2 games.
Nuff said but NHL remains squarely biased to their beloved Canadian teams.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
well, at least we made it kind of entertaining....in a sick, sadistic sort of way.

..if a team is never prepared to start a game, that's squarely on the shoulders of the coach.

Steve's comment above is echoed a bit by the quotes from Forsberg and especially Hynes.

The question for me is, what does "not prepared to start a game" really mean?
  • Is it the initial strategy to start the game flawed?
  • Were the players flawed in executing that strategy?
  • What changes were made once they were behind? (minutes distribution, line changes, lines rolled, offensive gameplan, defensive coverage, etc.)
  • Can and should those changes be in place at the start of the next game?
I'd like to see Hynes answer some of those questions.

Unfortunately, being a cable-cutter, I've only been able to see them once.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The fact Columbus is in our division has been covering our issues so much.

Without them we're 5 and 11.

Points from this season:
10 from CBJ
2 from Panthers
4 from Blackhawks
4 from Red Wings

so half from a team that we have historically owned for one reason or another (CBJ).
20% from a team that is just plain bad and in rebuild mode (red wings).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I remember there were a few games... a while back... where we actually thought the team came out with energy, but then let in some wacky goals and had a huge hole to dig out of anyway.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Points from this season:
10 from CBJ
2 from Panthers
4 from Blackhawks
4 from Red Wings

so half from a team that we have historically owned for one reason or another (CBJ).
20% from a team that is just plain bad and in rebuild mode (red wings).
I mean we've won half the games against the wings, right? Both games from the hawks, and are 1 for 3 so far against the panthers. We've played the CBJ way more than any other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad