Oblivion VS Skyrim

Which one did you like more?

• Total voters

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I didn't really get far enough into Oblivion to make the distinction, I make the comparison more to Morrowind, but I gotta agree that the biggest issue with Skyrim were the 'quests'. Not just that they were lacking but also all around terrible design principle. Relied heavily on 'just go here' map markers, and more critically what seemed like little threads could send you all over the map with no real rhyme or reason. Chances are to complete one quest you have to travel half way across the map, during which you'll get routinely distracted and pick up 5 more quests along the way which would also sends you all over in every direction. You get to the point where you open the quest log and you have 30+ active quests going and have to start focusing on systematically completing and closing them because you've noticed the game is starting to run a little clunky and then find out all these open quests actually effect game performance.

Good point.

For myself, I was speaking more specifically for the main quests and guild quest. Other side quests are closer in execution, but I'd still give the edge to Oblivion.

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild in particularly are miles better in Oblivion. Fighter's Guild is much better than the Companions, while the Arcane University and Mages Guild are closer in quality.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Skyrim had the better game play and I liked the world more, but the main quest lines in Oblivion are vastly better.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I appreciate Oblivion's greater depth, but to me it was also a pretty clunky game that didn't really hit me right. Skyrim, while more of a shallow pond, was just so damn fun for me and the combat just clicked in my head that I have to give it the edge.

I can only hope that the next Elder Scrolls game is a more polished and deeper version of Skyrim, but I'll readily admit that my faith in the developers is shaky.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I own both of these games on both the 360 and PC and have yet to beat either. I've started 4-5 playthroughs for each over the years and I always get around 10 hours in and then lose interest. If I had to choose one I would pick Oblivion.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Good point.

For myself, I was speaking more specifically for the main quests and guild quest. Other side quests are closer in execution, but I'd still give the edge to Oblivion.

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild in particularly are miles better in Oblivion. Fighter's Guild is much better than the Companions, while the Arcane University and Mages Guild are closer in quality.

I really liked the DB quest line in Skyrim, personally.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I preferred Skyrim for the most part. Although I did like the Daedric quests in Oblivion better.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Although I did like the Daedric quests in Oblivion better.

It always bugs me that the Daedric Lord items generally suck.

Mods that allow the weapons to progress according to the player level and even boosting their abilities are a must.

You can generally smith weapons that are far superior pretty much when you are already starting to acquire the Daedric Lord ones.

That's one aspect of the game that Bethesda does poorly. I get that you can make tiers of weapons and enchantments but they should reserve more unique items with unique powers that have actual game impact.

Azura's Star is probably the most useful, but then again, you find filled soul gems everywhere and can even buy filled grand ones at regular stores.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
For me it is and isn't a simple answer. In simple terms I would say Skyrim, was the better game in a alot of areas. To me Oblivion was better with the Dark Brotherhood quests, not hugely better, but that story was cool, and in the end I felt assassinating the emperor to be a bit of a let down, that and story wise it didn't make a big deal about it, especially with regards to the civil war. I also liked the factions menu in Oblivion, where you had different ranks in the factions, instead of Skyrim new guy... new guy... new guy.... your our leader now. I also liked Skyrims storyline better than Oblivion. I think it'd be interesting if graphically skyrim and oblivion were reversed to see which stacks up better. Because how much is dependent on the technical limitations of the time.

That said, story wise, I have constantly heard that Morrowwind is far and away the best storyline... but I have just not been able to get past the graphics. I have tried and failed :laugh: I wish bethesda would remaster the game... but I might have to wait until the Skywind is eventually completed.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For me it is and isn't a simple answer. In simple terms I would say Skyrim, was the better game in a alot of areas. To me Oblivion was better with the Dark Brotherhood quests, not hugely better, but that story was cool, and in the end I felt assassinating the emperor to be a bit of a let down, that and story wise it didn't make a big deal about it, especially with regards to the civil war. I also liked the factions menu in Oblivion, where you had different ranks in the factions, instead of Skyrim new guy... new guy... new guy.... your our leader now. I also liked Skyrims storyline better than Oblivion. I think it'd be interesting if graphically skyrim and oblivion were reversed to see which stacks up better. Because how much is dependent on the technical limitations of the time.

That said, story wise, I have constantly heard that Morrowwind is far and away the best storyline... but I have just not been able to get past the graphics. I have tried and failed :laugh: I wish bethesda would remaster the game... but I might have to wait until the Skywind is eventually completed.

Not really... these games were both released in the PS3/360 gen, main difference being one was early gen the other latter, but otherwise 'graphics' shouldn't be any sort of deciding factor between the two.

Rather if you want to talk about something from a visual perspective rather than any sort of technical fidelity I think the bigger leap Skyrim made was simply detaching dialogue from that creepy fixed view.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Rather if you want to talk about something from a visual perspective rather than any sort of technical fidelity I think the bigger leap Skyrim made was simply detaching dialogue from that creepy fixed view.
That's a good point. Although I'd like to know who was the guy at Bethesda who thought that an NPC telling you their life story whenever you walk by them would feel authentic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad