Oates vs. Gilmour: Hall of Fame

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Personally I think both deserve it eventually and the HHOF is running out of reasons as to why they aren't in there yet. But even if you think both or neither deserve it, which player do you think is more HHOF worthy?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Oates without hesitation, or much need for thinking, but that shouldn't be misconstrued as a slight against Dougie, since we're just comparing the two and not voting on either's absolute worth as a HOF candidate.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Both are HOFers IMO, but if I had to vote for one, it would be Oates. Gilmour did alot of things really, really well, but Oates had, outside of Lemieux and Gretzky, the best passing skills I've seen. The fact Oates was so damn elite in an area gives him the edge. In my lifetime, he's basically to passing, what Bossy was to goalscoring.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm going with Gilmour. But it's close. The're both in the top-5 among retired players not yet in.

Oates is the better playmaker, by quite a good margin. But Gilmour made up for it in a lot of ways:

- Better playoff performer
- Better leader
- Better defensively
- Better physically
- More overall value: 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th in Hart voting, to 4th and 12th for Oates.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Gilmour had a better peak, but I think Oates has him beat for career value. It's close though.

Both were better players than first ballot guys like Francis, Gartner, and Robitaille, but they don't have quite the career accumulative numbers that the Hall loves.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Gilmour.

Gilmour was better in the playoffs, Gilmour wasn't soft, Gilmour was a Selke winner, Gilmour was a better goal scorer, and (I know this is a bad argument) he scored his points without Cam Neely, Peter Bondra, and Brett Hull.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Both are IMO slam dunk EASY HHOFers and maybe first ballot worthy because there is no good reason to keep them out.

I picked Gilmour because he was so deadly in the playoffs, and such a competitor. 1993 in the playoffs he was Gretzkyesque. 1989 playoffs he could have won a Smythe for his clutch scoring and overall defensive play. Gilmour was money in the playoffs even after he had declined at the end of his career.

Oates was better longer, a better passer and definitely had a much longer peak level but didn't peak as high as Gilmour did for those couple of Toronto years.

So I pick Gilmour but Oates could easily be argued for by many with tons of legitimate points.

Like others have said, they are both better than a ton of their peers who have already been inducted.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
Their playoff production is closer than most would think:

Playoff pts per game avg.
Oates .957 in 163 games
Gilmour 1.03 in 188 games

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Gilmour had a better peak, but I think Oates has him beat for career value. It's close though.

Both were better players than first ballot guys like Francis, Gartner, and Robitaille, but they don't have quite the career accumulative numbers that the Hall loves.

I can see both guys being ahead of Gartner and Robitaille but Francis has a peak just as good and just had overall more staying power than both guys as well.

I agree that they are close and I'll agree with 70's Lord that Gilmour edges him on the intangibles.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Gilmour.

Gilmour was better in the playoffs, Gilmour wasn't soft, Gilmour was a Selke winner, Gilmour was a better goal scorer, and (I know this is a bad argument) he scored his points without Cam Neely, Peter Bondra, and Brett Hull.
In 92-93 with Boston, Oates led the entire NHL with 97 assists. Cam Neely only played 13 games that season. Boston's top four goal scorers (after Oates) were Joe Juneau, Dmitri Kvartalnov, Stephen Leach and Dave Reid.

Oates played with some talented goal scorers in his career, but he produced consistently regardless of who he was put with.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Gilmour.

Gilmour played a more aggressive game, but calling oates a softy is laughable. If oates and gilmour ever fought each other, oates would probably beat him up.

Oates was better on face-offs, and there really isn't any goal scoring edge.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Both:

..Doug & Adam deserve HOF entry equally, for quite different reasons..N.B.~ If anyone reading this is attached in any way with the Hockey Hall Of Fame, They might consider rectifying 3 other glaring omissions..RE:..Douglas Mohns, Fleming Mackell & Donald Hamilton McKenney...A nice nod to a gallant era and befitting honour to their accomplishments before these Gentlemen pass away!

Last edited:

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Oates:

I'm going with Gilmour. But it's close. The're both in the top-5 among retired players not yet in.

Oates is the better playmaker, by quite a good margin. But Gilmour made up for it in a lot of ways:

- Better playoff performer
- Better leader
- Better defensively
- Better physically
- More overall value: 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th in Hart voting, to 4th and 12th for Oates.

..No mention of Adam Oates many nominations for the Lady Byng Trophy , or the Art Ross race?

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hull would have scored 1000 goals if Oates would have stayed in St.Louis. People don't realize Hull played with checkers a lot when Oates left. Didn't Hull score 86 goals the last year he and Oates were together ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad