OAs for 22/23

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The key being IF it presents itself. And until/if it does I would think that Seed would be a lock to pencil in the blue-line rotation.

Right now the real question will be what everyone else around the league has and if there's an upgrade for someone else that a guy like Seed would fill somewhere else. As of right now Seed and Chenard are the only 2 that I believe that we can expect to at least start the season in OS.

Lock means he is not going anywhere. I agree that Chenard is a lock to be there, Seed is not a lock, because the moment there is an upgrade, he could be moved.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I agree Chenard is the one lock, but I would expect Seed and LeSage to be the other returning overagers. I don't see there being a ton of upgrades available, and both fill really useful roles on the team. Portikalis has had some real nice stretches this year, and I think he'll find a home on another team.
Logan Lesage has committed to Queens, hasn't been announced but from a pretty reliable source(I think) Portokalis is going to school. I would expect to start the year with Chenard and Seed but will not be surprised if Seed gets upgraded. With the way this team was playing once everyone bought into Greg Walters system I feel we have to make a key addition or 2 and not waste having possibly the #1 tender in the league in his O/A year.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Logan Lesage has committed to Queens, hasn't been announced but from a pretty reliable source(I think) Portokalis is going to school. I would expect to start the year with Chenard and Seed but will not be surprised if Seed gets upgraded. With the way this team was playing once everyone bought into Greg Walters system I feel we have to make a key addition or 2 and not waste having possibly the #1 tender in the league in his O/A year.

Note that the post you quoted is from May.

If Portokalis goes to school, then there's definitely a need to go OA shopping, but I think that increases the likelihood that Seed stays. Not sure who is out there that would be worth the cost to upgrade Seed, when he's a candidate to really put it all togther this season and be an impact OA. Not guaranteed, but you can gamble.

The team doesn't really have the roster surplus to do what DeGray did in 2011 and grab Mignardi and Heelis, but definitely one overager should be on the shopping list. If Schweingruber ends up being a hit, that could shake loose one of the younger defenders who might get buried down the depth chart.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not sure if you want to add Matt Halushak to the Soo's list, but apparently Raftis said he will be in camp.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
About half of the preseason rosters are out on the OHL website. (Link to preseason rosters: Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League). I won't update the OA lists until all the training camp rosters are official but here are the OA's that are on my OA list that aren't on the preseason rosters:

G Tye Austin (Peterborough Petes)
F Giordano Biondi (Hamilton Bulldogs)
F Max Dodig (Mississauga Steelheads)
D Kasper Larsen (Mississauga Steelheads)
F Stepan Machacek (Owen Sound Attack)
F William Portokalis (Owen Sound Attack)
D Pacey Schlueting (Saginaw Spirit)
F Ethan Sims (Hamilton Bulldogs)
D Kirill Steklov (London Knights)
F Michael Stubbs (Mississauga Steelheads)
F Kaspars Ziemens (Peterborough Petes)

Teams that have not put out a preseason roster yet: Barrie, Erie, Guelph, Kingston, Saginaw (only has a partial roster out), Soo, and Sudbury

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
About half of the preseason rosters are out on the OHL website. (Link to preseason rosters: Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League). I won't update the OA lists until all the training camp rosters are official but here are the OA's that are on my OA list that aren't on the preseason rosters:

Teams that have not put out a preseason roster yet: Barrie, Erie, Guelph, Kingston, Saginaw (only has a partial roster out), Soo, and Sudbury
Erie unloaded 2 of the 5 OAs heading into preseason Aiden Campbell and Ryan Thompson.

This leaves them with 3 (unofficially) heading into camp.

F Elias Cohen
F Noah Sedore
D Cameron Morton

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Barrie announced their preseason roster. Matthew Sredl and Matteo Lalama were the OA's that weren't on the roster.

Reactions: Uncle

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Fronts pre-season roster is up on their website - Roger, Belanger and Murray are the three OAs leaving Aidan Spooner out, which isn't much of a surprise, and leaving out the three that have graduated to the AHL (Wisdom/Chromiak/Merilainen).

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Both Machacek and Portokalis have graduated from the OHL out of OS.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I did this last year and I'll do it again this year. Here's a list of all the eligible OA's next season. I am not including those signed to NHL contracts. I'm just assuming they're going to play pro next season. Here's the list of eligible OA's:

Barrie Colts

F Ethan Cardwell
D Ian Lemieux
F Declan McDonnell
F Evan Vierling

Erie Otters

F Elias Cohen
D Cameron Morton
F Noah Sedore

Flint Firebirds

G Will Cranley (signed by St. Louis)
D Tyler Deline
F Sahil Panwar
F Riley Piercey
D Zack Terry

Guelph Storm

F Ben McFarlane
D Luke Profaca
F Cooper Walker

Hamilton Bulldogs

G Marco Costantini
F George Diaco
F Mark Duarte
F Avery Hayes
F Logan Morrison
D Gavin White

Kingston Frontenacs

D Alec Belanger
D Jake Murray
D Ben Roger

Kitchener Rangers

D Jack Harper
F Joseph Serpa
F Reid Valade

London Knights

G Brett Brochu
D Gerard Keane
F Sean McGurn
D Bryce Montgomery

Mississauga Steelheads

D Charlie Callaghan
F Ty Collins
F James Hardie
F Jake Uberti

Niagara IceDogs

D David Jesus
F Matthew Papais
D Nathan Ribau

North Bay Battalion

F Kyle Jackson
F Kyle McDonald
D Avery Winslow

Oshawa Generals

F Cameron Butler
F Ryan Gagnier
D Lleyton Moore

Otttawa 67's

D Anthony Costantini
F Cameron Tolnai

Owen Sound Attack

G Nick Chenard
D Nolan Seed

Peterborough Petes

D Shawn Spearing

Saginaw Spirit

G Tristan Lennox
D Pacey Schlueting
D Mitchell Smith

Sarnia Sting

F Nolan Burke
D Nolan Dillingham
F Theo Hill
D Ethan Ritchie

Soo Greyhounds

F Keegan McMullen
D Ryan Thompson
F Kalvyn Watson

Sudbury Wolves

F Nick DeGrazia
G Joe Ranger
D Dylan Robinson

Windsor Spitfires

F Josh Currie
F Matthew Maggio
G Xavier Medina
G Mathias Onuska
D Michael Renwick
Updated OA list with the all the preseason rosters being out. 67 players for 60 spots. Teams that need to cut down on OAs: HAM (6), FLT (5), WSR (5), BAR (4), LDN (4), MIS (4), and SAR (4). Teams that can add an OA: PBO (1), OS (2), and OTT (2)

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Updated OA list with the all the preseason rosters being out. 67 players for 60 spots. Teams that need to cut down on OAs: HAM (6), FLT (5), WSR (5), BAR (4), LDN (4), MIS (4), and SAR (4). Teams that can add an OA: PBO (1), OS (2), and OTT (2)
With 10 extra OA's and only 4 spots available that would mean 6 OA players will not have a team to play on and will be forced to play university or Junior A. Once the shuffling of OA's starts I wonder which 6 guys will be left out of the league. Some quality players won't have a team unfortunately.

WJ

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sure, there have been some WHL OA goalies picked up by OHL teams off waivers in the past. Brkin and Myskiw most recently I believe.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Ottawa only has 1 spot available, Petes 2 and OS 1. Total of 4 remaining spots. However, teams can only dress 3 OAs but have to get down to 3 OAs by day before trade deadline. They have to get down to 4 by mid November I believe. So some will keep an extra hanging around.

Either way, by trade deadline, there should be 6-7 OAs released and playing either Cdn Uni or Jr. A somewhere.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Who are the 4 locks to get traded or stay in the league out of the 9? Keep in mind some teams may even upgrade from what they currently have

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Mainstays

Montgomery/Keane (1 of them will be moved and remain in OHL)
Morrison/Hayes (1 of them will be moved and remain in OHL)
Onuska/Medina (1 of them will be moved and remain in OHL) Currie will be expendable?
Lemieux may be expendable and out of OHL?
Hill should find a spot in the OHL
Panwar/Terry may be expendable but both have outside shot at landing an OHL OA spot

Bolded guys should be locks for remaining OA spots in OHL. Things may change for instance if Barrie keeps Lemieux dman then one of their OA forwards will be dealt and should find an OA spot.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Mainstays

Montgomery/Keane (1 of them will be moved and remain in OHL)
Morrison/Hayes (1 of them will be moved and remain in OHL)
Onuska/Medina (1 of them will be moved and remain in OHL) Currie will be expendable?
Lemieux may be expendable and out of OHL?
Hill should find a spot in the OHL
Panwar/Terry may be expendable but both have outside shot at landing an OHL OA spot

Bolded guys should be locks for remaining OA spots in OHL. Things may change for instance if Barrie keeps Lemieux dman then one of their OA forwards will be dealt and should find an OA spot.
Diaco? Or Constantini?

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I believe they keep Costantini, Morrison and White as OAs.

Diaco should be expendable by Hamilton and an upgrade for other OHL teams. I stand corrected.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I believe they keep Costantini, Morrison and White as OAs.

Diaco should be expendable by Hamilton and an upgrade for other OHL teams.
How about Morrison as a target for guelph as he’s from there and would be a major upgrade over McFarlane or Cooper as OA

How about Morrison as a target for guelph as he’s from there and would be a major upgrade over McFarlane or Cooper as OA
If your hamilton you trade whoever is getting the biggest return and go from there I doubt they keep Morrison over Diaco. Morrison will bring back more in a deal

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Walker and Mcfarlane are untouchable in Guelph given that new coach is Walker's dad.

Hamilton can get alot for Hayes and Diaco now and then trade Morrison at deadline and bring in another load.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad