O/T...Jarnkrok signs 6 yr./$12M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Seems like a pretty meaningless contract. 2M AAV. Still young and could improve. They're making a small bet that Jarnkrok will develop a bit more and be a steal for 3-4 years. It's for 6 years sure, but it's no 3.85M. I probably don't know the market as well as others but it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to move him at 2M if they have to.

He put up 30 points last year. In Helm's best season he put up 33. They have similar possession metrics, Calle has an insignificantly higher P/60. They're both centers. I didn't watch enough games to know but it didn't seem like Calle got top6 time unlike Helm who did. And Helm is 29 vs Calle's 24 so...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Definitely a very weird contract.

I don't care that Calle is no longer in our system, I don't really see much of a place for him. I would rather have Jarnkrok on a 6/12 than Helm's 5/19 though. Best of luck to him, and he gets to play with his buddy Filip.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think it's more weird for calle than preds.

2-3 yr deal at that money would've been fine. calle seemed to want security and preds are making reasonably cheap bet that it turns into a discount or even steal.

would've gladly signed sheahan to a similar deal.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I thought Nashville's GM was one of the best in the business and Holland was the worst and the only one who would sign a supporting player to a long-term deal?

Interesting to see how hfboards tries to spin this.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I thought Nashville's GM was one of the best in the business and Holland was the worst and the only one who would sign a supporting player to a long-term deal?

I know. Considering Jarnkrok hasn't scored a playoff goal yet, either, they should be calling for him to be fired.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

issue with long-term deals is that if they go bad, it's hard to get out of them. we have plenty of those in the books. järnkrok's deal won't be like that. locked up for his prime. even if he falls off the cliff to an AHLer/career european, the buyout cost is less than 700K year. probably pretty unlikely scenario.

this is pretty unique long-term deal as the dollar amount would've been fair on a normal bridge deal. usually the player/agent doesn't want to do deals like this.

and when these happens when the player is in RFA years at the time of the signing, they rarely turn bad. worst one might be the hodgson deal. which was signed when the cap was lower and had cap hit of about 2.5 times more than this.

i don't think poile is one of the best in the business. excellent offseason though this year.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah cant exactly complain guy will be a 3rd line centre for years to come. At $2M, you'd never have to worry too much. Hes also much more successful than any of our 3rd line centres.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Is anyone really upset by this? There is absolutely no room on this team for him, and there isn't a forward I would personally want to swap out for him.

Holland has made numerous idiotic moves, but I'll still defend him on that trade. I highly doubt they make the playoffs in 2014 without it.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
That is delusional. Helm, Sheahan

No. Not even.

Larkin hasnt played C yet. How can you say he would be successful? AA maybe? But he was also more than that playing 4th line wing for the majority of his time last year. I dont think the success of AA depends on him being anchored as a center.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No. Not even.

Larkin hasnt played C yet. How can you say he would be successful? AA maybe? But he was also more than that playing 4th line wing for the majority of his time last year. I dont think the success of AA depends on him being anchored as a center.

I never heard Babcock call Calle "the best 3rd line center in the NHL", like ever...

And I live in Nashville. I watch Calle play. He's decent but it would be foolish to swap him for Helm. And for Sheahan? You want DRWs to get even more softer?

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I never heard Babcock call Calle "the best 3rd line center in the NHL", like ever...

And I live in Nashville. I watch Calle play. He's decent but it would be foolish to swap him for Helm. And for Sheahan? You want DRWs to get even more softer?

Well, Helm doesnt play like the best 3rd line centre anymore. I was a massive favourite of Helms a few years back but the guy got lazy IMO. He moved up the lines and regressed at the same time.

Sheahan is not hard, nor does he play hard. I would want DRW to get a stronger team but playing the gentle giant is hardly the answer to that.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I just dont think Helm provides the $4M worth, Calle would have been a more than adequate substitute for 1/2 the cost.

Sheahan refuses to take the next step despite having all the right tools. Hes big, strong with a wicked wrist shot and solid puck control. Does next to nothing with it. Hes going to be our next overpaid asset very soon.

Its not even just that we could have this or that. Its that we didnt even give Jarnkrok/Janmark a shot to prove their worth. Need to severely outplay established Veterans getting paid 5 times as much. Its not even be at a similar level. Severely outplay. Its frustrating to see us hamstrung so.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No. Not even.

Do you see Jarnkrok deserving a roster spot more than AA or Larkin though. We have plenty of bottom 6 centers. Calle Jarnkrok isn't a better option than any of them at this point.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nah I dont. AA wont be on the roster anyway. No room unless we trade.

I don't think Steve Ott is guaranteed a roster spot, but to each his own. At least we only have 7 weeks until we get to watch some hockey :handclap:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I love that this guy is still worthy of threads on our board

yet it seems like a guy like Riley Sheahan doesn't even exist on these boards unless someones looking for a small + on a trade

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think Steve Ott is guaranteed a roster spot, but to each his own. At least we only have 7 weeks until we get to watch some hockey :handclap:

Why did we bother signing the guy then? Seems absolutely pointless.... Hell we're not even lacking for bodies in GR.

To me this is more interesting because of what it is as a comparable to some of our contracts. We signed a similarly productive, older guy to a much more costly contract that takes him to 35, whereas the Preds signed a guy for almost half as much through his prime. He will be 30 when it ends.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia

yet it seems like a guy like Riley Sheahan doesn't even exist on these boards unless someones looking for a small + on a trade

Why?

Hes a Wing Draftee doing reasonably well at another team.
The other is a wing draftee still on the team doing very average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad