Trade: [NYY/TOR] J. A. Happ to Yankees for Brandon Drury and Billy McKinney

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i wonder why mckinney hasn't been able to stay in one place

A's/Cubs/Yankees and now Blue Jays. and only 2 big league games under his belt

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Surprised they got Drury out of it honestly. The joys of being a seller in a weak deadline market i suppose.

The Yankees pitching is obviously an issue but i don't think it's as big an issue are people are making it out to be . All they really need to do is hold on to leads into the 6th inning and let that hilariously deep bullpen do the rest just like the 14 and 15 Royals did. Happ will certainly be better than Grey and maybe even Tanaka at this point so either way they're better than they were.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Where's Drury going to play, though? Unless Solarte or Donaldson (lol) are on their way out, is he just going to be a utility bench player?

Drury didn't show much in limited action with the Yankees, but it's not like anyone in Toronto's been lighting it up this year either. :help:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Where's Drury going to play, though? Unless Solarte or Donaldson (lol) are on their way out, is he just going to be a utility bench player?

Drury didn't show much in limited action with the Yankees, but it's not like anyone in Toronto's been lighting it up this year either. :help:

he played 89 games in the outfield for dbacks in 2016 and 114 games at 2b in 2017

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am slightly disappointed with the deal. Drury isn't a bad player but McKinney does absolutely nothing for me. Would have preferred to just trade him somewhere else for this return though.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I just don’t see the point in getting a guy like Drury. We have lots of his type of player. Yeah, maybe he gets flipped or some other pieces are heading out. He does have like 4 years of control which is nice. It’s not terrible but if you’re trading the best pitcher on the market to the Yankees, you need to get back a piece back that is better than that, especially in the division.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i wonder why mckinney hasn't been able to stay in one place

A's/Cubs/Yankees and now Blue Jays. and only 2 big league games under his belt

He's got 13 Homers in AAA but his slash line is ugly. he's probably a bust at this point

He also hid medical issues apparently from the Yankees and/or Dbacks. Migraines and sight problems prevented him from playing at some points. Doubt they would have traded for him if they would've known it at the time.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I just don’t see the point in getting a guy like Drury. We have lots of his type of player. Yeah, maybe he gets flipped or some other pieces are heading out. He does have like 4 years of control which is nice. It’s not terrible but if you’re trading the best pitcher on the market to the Yankees, you need to get back a piece back that is better than that, especially in the division.

well in his last 2 mlb seasons he has at least 13 homers and 50 rbis

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Awful return for the Jays. I would have preferred getting someone like Domingo Santana from the Brewers.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
well in his last 2 mlb seasons he has at least 13 homers and 50 rbis

It’s just a low ceiling type of move. Drury is fine but there’s plenty of players out there like him. He’s not what you want coming back as the centrepiece of a big ticket trade. He’s the type of guy you trade an ok reliever for in the offseason.

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I made a more detailed post about my thoughts on this trade in the Jays thread, but essentially I am not a huge fan of the return simply because the Blue Jays were already pretty deep in their infield depth before acquiring Drury and McKinney just joins a list of "meh" corner outfielders in the Blue Jays system. I would have been much happier if they were able to get Drury and an arm for Happ, or even a pair of arms.

Of course, there is still a few days to go before the non-waiver deadline, so if they can ship out Solarte for a pitching prospect or two, then this deal looks much different.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I made a more detailed post about my thoughts on this trade in the Jays thread, but essentially I am not a huge fan of the return simply because the Blue Jays were already pretty deep in their infield depth before acquiring Drury and McKinney just joins a list of "meh" corner outfielders in the Blue Jays system. I would have been much happier if they were able to get Drury and an arm for Happ, or even a pair of arms.

Of course, there is still a few days to go before the non-waiver deadline, so if they can ship out Solarte for a pitching prospect or two, then this deal looks much different.

Agreed. If it doesn't lead to something else or allow other moves to be made that help the Jays in areas they actually need it then it was just trading Happ for the sake of trading Happ.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Drury is a decent player who just didn't have any room in NY. Not a bad deal for a mid 30s impending free agent.

I remember when McKinney was the one of the main parts of the Samardzija trade to the A's.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So the Jays, whose pitching has been a sore spot in recent years, have traded two pitchers for four batters.

I'm hoping they have a few more moves up their sleeves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad