Trade: [NYY/MIN] Aaron Hicks for John Ryan Murphy

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yup...Gardner for a SP would seem to be even more likely now.

I don't like this from a Yankees perspective. I actually like Hicks but he is a downgrade from Gardy. If they trade Gardy it's not going to get them the ace that they are looking for so they would be better off keeping him and signing a solid no. 3 or reclamation project as there are an abundance out there this year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't like this from a Yankees perspective. I actually like Hicks but he is a downgrade from Gardy. If they trade Gardy it's not going to get them the ace that they are looking for so they would be better off keeping him and signing a solid no. 3 or reclamation project as there are an abundance out there this year.

Gardner is great, but he's 32 and he played awful in the 2nd half of the season. I don't think it's worthwhile to have two of the same types of players in Ellsbury and Gardner on the same team making big money, and Ellsbury's contract is practically unmovable.

Neither Ellsbury nor Gardner could hit LHP, the team was at a huge disadvantage against LHP. Hicks can hit LHP really well.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Calling it now. Hicks will hit at least 20 homeruns next season, playing in Yankee stadium. He'll be at least a 20/20 guy who plays plus D in centerfield and has a rocket arm.

He has been much better as a right handed hitter so far in his career, but showed signs of progress last year, from the left side. Murphy doesn't look like a longterm solution at catcher to me. Solid rotation player, not a whole lot of upside. Hope I am wrong.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Collect all the former top prospects - first Ackley, now Hicks. Yankees should move Ellsbury to LF.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Neither Ellsbury nor Gardner could hit LHP, the team was at a huge disadvantage against LHP.

Gardner had better numbers against lefties than righties last season, and he's been about as good vs. either side throughout his career. Ellsbury has historically been OK against lefties. The bigger problem was his awfulness vs. righties in 2015. He hit .253/.327/325 in 154 ABs against LHPs and was just as below average vs. RHPs (.258/.313/.356), but in nearly twice as many ABs (298).

That seems way too good to be true.

For Seattle.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What's he like Yankee fans?

Back up catcher. Below average offensively and above average defensively. Good player to platoon with an offensive minded player.

Something tells me Twins aren't convinced with Hicks' mini breakthrough last season. I am.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Collect all the former top prospects - first Ackley, now Hicks. Yankees should move Ellsbury to LF.

Yankees should move Ellsbury to the Mars unfortunately I don't see NASA wanting anything to do with that contract.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Calling it now. Hicks will hit at least 20 homeruns next season, playing in Yankee stadium. He'll be at least a 20/20 guy who plays plus D in centerfield and has a rocket arm.

I don't think it'll happen next season because we still have Beltran for another year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Since we love our necro bumps on this forum, I’m surprised this thread was never bumped. Hicks turned into an all star caliber player with the Yankees. He’s had injurie issues and a down year this year but they got a ton of value out of him so far.

And when you see the value the Yankees have churned out of fringe and middling players recently like Urshsla, LeMahieu and Tauchman, it’s hard to blame the Twins here. There’s some magic when you get injected into these Yankees lineups.

He has been much better as a right handed hitter so far in his career, but showed signs of progress last year, from the left side. Murphy doesn't look like a longterm solution at catcher to me. Solid rotation player, not a whole lot of upside. Hope I am wrong.

Winner winner chicken dinner

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’ve always loved Hicks skill set. The trade was even more dumb for the twins because he was still young at the time. However, he’s not an all-star player. If he was healthy and consistent then sure he has hat potential but I think he’s proven that he can’t rally manage that.

Anyway, excellent trade for NYY

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Hicks has a career war around 12, is in his prime and produces when healthy. The other is currently in Reno and has a name from King of the Hill.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Since we love our necro bumps on this forum, I’m surprised this thread was never bumped. Hicks turned into an all star caliber player with the Yankees. He’s had injurie issues and a down year this year but they got a ton of value out of him so far.

And when you see the value the Yankees have churned out of fringe and middling players recently like Urshsla, LeMahieu and Tauchman, it’s hard to blame the Twins here. There’s some magic when you get injected into these Yankees lineups.

Winner winner chicken dinner

They went from just signing anyone they needed to excelling at reclamation projects. Pretty impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad