Trade: [NYY/BAL] Zach Britton for Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers and Cody Carroll

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Looking way too far ahead here, but if the whole pen stays healthy you could get through a five game ALDS without having any starter but Severino face the top of a lineup twice.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Seriously though, if Tate is the headliner then turning two months of 40 year old Beltran in a lost season into two months and a playoff run worth of Britton in a contending year is some nice business.
Well when you word it like that - yes.

But that 40 yr old was the Yankees best player that yr and it seems bittersweet that the key piece in the deal is going for a reliever.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
well when yankee fans on twitter are mad, i think they got a good return. also its a rental so not sure orioles really care

Yankees fans think Tate will be a star because he was drafted 4th overall. He's 24 putting up good but not spectacular numbers at AA. To me he looks like a bottom of the rotation starter or high end pen arm. 2018 has been a solid year for Tate but expected more from him.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
If the Yankees play a 1 game WC playoff, I hope they do a bullpen game.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
If the Yankees play a 1 game WC playoff, I hope they do a bullpen game.

I dunno, I thought the Game 2 ALDS loss last year was a direct result of needing 26 outs from the bullpen in the wild card game. Girardi was slow to pull Sabathia and Green and we ended up with Betances pitching in extra innings when he honestly wasn’t worth a roster spot by then. It’s a tough way to start the playoffs and it’s not like Severino isn’t a great wild card game option himself.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
In a do or die game you go with your best option. That's Severino.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I'm shocked the Phillies/Braves didn't make a run at Britton given their bullpen has damn near kept them from running away with the NL East.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Funny, a few hours ago I was searching for an update on Kahnle and couldn’t find anything since early June. Does anybody know how his velocity is doing? Is he healthy? What a drop off.

Someone on Rangers board mentioned he's sitting on 94-95.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm shocked the Phillies/Braves didn't make a run at Britton given their bullpen has damn near kept them from running away with the NL East.

Giving up 3 prospects for a rental pen arm does nothing for either team. For the Braves, they have too many holes to fill this season. They'll go after a couple cheaper arms, but they're not good enough to be spending a lot for one rental.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's a solid return by the Orioles but it's not anything that will bowl you over. Shocked the Astros wouldn't offer more to get a proven closer for their mess of a pen. Yankees reliever depth is now officially insane if it wasn't already. As mentioned, that's even with Kanhle working his way back up. Still, New York HAS to make a trade for a starter to feel better about their chances in the playoffs against Boston or potentially CLE/HOU.

You have your ace in Severino but the rest of the rotation is a big question mark. Sabathia is essentially mirroring his stats from last year which is great for him. Steady if unspectacular but he's certainly not a guy you want to to hang your season on. Tanaka has been inconsistent as hell and Gray has been flat out bad this year. With that offense and that pen you need another starter to give it your best shot.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can't wait to see Boone not use him in the wild card game. :P
bal-orioles-closer-zach-britton-s-game-used-postseason-jersey-sells-for-2-650-20161017

never forget

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad