News Article: NYT: Hugh Jessiman - A Draft Bust Playing in Vienna Pictures Life After Hockey

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I was dining at a restaurant a ways back and a big table next to me was Hugh Jessiman and his family. Hugh had a really good upbringing and a well to do family. Definitely a group that cared about him.

This was right before he got traded, and I remember how frustrated the tone of the conversation was regarding the Rangers "not playing" Hugh. I sat there and thought to myself, wow this kid really isn't going to make it but they totally believed in him, and Hugh sounded like he believed in himself.

At the time I remember thinking to myself, "Man this guy really doesn't know how much he sucks"....

If you don't believe in yourself, who will?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's the reason we don't have a cup in the past 10 years

A lot of teams got franchise forwards in that first round. We should have been one of those teams

Horrendous decision

I always felt the 2003 draft was a great one, but I never realized there were this many franchise players drafted in the first 2 rounds, after Jessiman.

Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler, Corey Perry, Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, David Backes...

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Great article. Amidst all the conversation about Jessiman as an asset being a bust, it's very easy to forget that he's a human being with a story. It's also easy to forget that by any metric he is an exceptionally talented hockey player with an exceptionally successful hockey career. Playing a single game in the AHL, let alone the NHL, is a tremendous achievement. How many players devote their whole lives to the game and never get a sniff...

Terrible to hear about his mother. Seems like he has a great head on his shoulders and a plan for after hockey.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Great article. Amidst all the conversation about Jessiman as an asset being a bust, it's very easy to forget that he's a human being with a story. It's also easy to forget that by any metric he is an exceptionally talented hockey player with an exceptionally successful hockey career. Playing a single game in the AHL, let alone the NHL, is a tremendous achievement. How many players devote their whole lives to the game and never get a sniff...

Terrible to hear about his mother. Seems like he has a great head on his shoulders and a plan for after hockey.

A lot of this.

A lot of fans might be pissed at where he was selected, but if he was taken later in the draft, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Maybe things would be different. Maybe we would've drafted a Kesler or Perry and totally ****ed up their development. Maybe Jessiman would've been a star on another team. It's not his fault that the Rangers brass was in love with size. We could've easily drafted another guy who didn't turn out so well.

Give it up, folks. It is what it is.

Yes, we didn't luck out in that draft. Other teams drafted players that became fixtures on their team.

That's the nature of the game. The draft is always a gamble...just the degrees of the gamble itself vary.

I'm a human being before a hockey fan, and Jessiman's life has definitely had its ups and downs. I'm glad that he seems to be enjoying life and taking it in stride. Hockey is really just a game.

It's a great way for averages Joes like us to get our minds off of stressors like work or courses. There's a release in letting yourself go to something you have no say or role in. Why make it another stressor?

Best wishes to HJ.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I saw him play a few times down here in Charlotte, with other draft busts named Bruce Graham and Lee Falardeau.

His biggest problem is a lack of speed. Even at the ECHL level it was noticeable. However, I saw him take two steps and uncork a slapper from center ice that the goaltender had no chance on. That was not ECHL level. He also sulked quite a bit about being in Charlotte, rather than in Hartford or with the Rangers. He did think he was a lot better than he really was.

Graham couldn't skate. Again, though, if he played in the late 70's/early 80's, he would have been a 35 goal scorer in the NHL. He was the epitome of a "natural goal scorer". That role isn't part of the game anymore. Everyone has to skate and play some defense.

Falardeau got hurt and never really recovered from the injury. He worked for one of the consulting firms I worked for a few years ago. Had a nice conversation with him about hockey/the Rangers, etc.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I saw him play a few times down here in Charlotte, with other draft busts named Bruce Graham and Lee Falardeau.

His biggest problem is a lack of speed. Even at the ECHL level it was noticeable. However, I saw him take two steps and uncork a slapper from center ice that the goaltender had no chance on. That was not ECHL level. He also sulked quite a bit about being in Charlotte, rather than in Hartford or with the Rangers. He did think he was a lot better than he really was.

Graham couldn't skate. Again, though, if he played in the late 70's/early 80's, he would have been a 35 goal scorer in the NHL. He was the epitome of a "natural goal scorer". That role isn't part of the game anymore. Everyone has to skate and play some defense.

Falardeau got hurt and never really recovered from the injury. He worked for one of the consulting firms I worked for a few years ago. Had a nice conversation with him about hockey/the Rangers, etc.

not many guys make a career in the nhl if that cant skate. not today.

however, if you can fly you can carve out a career by just being fast.

freddy sjostrom comes to mind

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
[ QUOTE=JohnC;91977513]Every cup winner since the 05 lockout sans the 08 Red Wings has had a 2003 draftee on their team

Maybe a coincidence, but knowing that makes botching the best draft in NHL history hurt even more[/QUOTE]

Even if we had drafted Geltzaf, we'd probably cry over his development rate at age 20 and trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad