News Article: NYT: Hugh Jessiman - A Draft Bust Playing in Vienna Pictures Life After Hockey

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/sports/hockey/a-draft-bust-playing-in-vienna-pictures-life-after-hockey.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid%3D=tw-nytsports&_r=0

Pretty interesting read on life after NA Hockey from Hugh Jessiman's perspective...

Jessiman played 5 minutes 11 seconds and finished with a minus-1 rating. Two days later, he had 9:31 of ice time. He never again played in the N.H.L.

“What I remember most is after the first game, seeing my dad and my brother and my best friend and just breaking down,†he said. “It wasn’t really about me getting there. I had kind of a tough couple years before that where we lost my mom. It felt like it was not just a reward for me, but all these people that have put in that time for me.â€

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I read the article this morning, I didn't realize his mother died during a hiking trip in 2009, that must have been devastating for him.

Despite his struggles throughout his personal and professional life, Jessiman seems to have good perspective. He doesn't sound bitter about his experience, but rather he appears to be grateful to even have played in the NHL, if only for two games. I wish him luck in his post-hockey career.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Can't believe Hugh is already 30. Sad to see he never could live up to his expectations. In hindsight a lot of people ask why they would ever draft him.. but who couldn't resist a 6'6" forward who put up 47 points as a freshman in the NCAA? ( Plus this was also around the time where we were heavily focused on size). Glad to see he is at least still playing hockey.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He's the reason we don't have a cup in the past 10 years

A lot of teams got franchise forwards in that first round. We should have been one of those teams

Horrendous decision

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sometimes injuries play a role. He was never the same player after his injury in college. He went from a point a game scorer in his first 2 college seasons to a guy that had like 2 points in his junior season.Then he turned pro and I think his confidence took a beating.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

A lot of teams got franchise forwards in that first round. We should have been one of those teams

Horrendous decision

I disagree with the wording. It is not his fault that he got drafted where he did. It is managements fault for picking him there. He seems like a pretty decent human being, wish him all the best.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Horrendous decision

Hindsight is a fantastic tool - as is the apparent foresight that had we drafted anyone but Jessiman we'd have a cup.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Hindsight is a fantastic tool - as is the apparent foresight that had we drafted anyone but Jessiman we'd have a cup.
Every cup winner since the 05 lockout sans the 08 Red Wings has had a 2003 draftee on their team

Maybe a coincidence, but knowing that makes botching the best draft in NHL history hurt even more

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Every cup winner since the 05 lockout sans the 08 Red Wings has had a 2003 draftee on their team

Maybe a coincidence, but knowing that makes botching the best draft in NHL history hurt even more

That's actually a pretty cool little fact there, but I'd chalk it way more to coincidence/normal development. It still doesn't mean that the only reason the Rangers don't have a cup in the past 10 years is because Jessiman busted. I took issue with the outright declaration as if it were fact. It's not. Nobody can know that.

Any idea on the '04 through '07 drafts? I'd suspect you'd find something similar.

I mean, there's a good chance that a team had a draft pick in said draft's first round before going on to win the SCF... With the full understanding that it's not more about having the draft pick, but having the player you drafted making an impact.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
That's actually a pretty cool little fact there, but I'd chalk it way more to coincidence/normal development. It still doesn't mean that the only reason the Rangers don't have a cup in the past 10 years is because Jessiman busted. I took issue with the outright declaration as if it were fact. It's not. Nobody can know that.

Any idea on the '04 through '07 drafts? I'd suspect you'd find something similar.

I mean, there's a good chance that a team had a draft pick in said draft's first round before going on to win the SCF... With the full understanding that it's not more about having the draft pick, but having the player you drafted making an impact.
I might make a list if I ever find the time and strength. It really is an interesting way to look at the cup winners

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

If we won the cup last year we would have as well. His name is Brian Boyle. Drafted in the first round of 2003 by the LA Kings.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
He was a reach in his draft. Same as McIlrath. Both bad picks

Seriously? This article has nothing to do with McIlrath. We don't need it to spill into every thread.

It must be comforting that Jessiman has an Ivy League education to fall back on. Wish him well.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC

Horrendous decision

LA has two cups and they had two draft picks in the first round: Brian Boyle and Jeff Tambellini.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
One of the more overlooked injury-destroyed prospects we've had. Frankly, his name should be in the same conversation with Cherneski, Blackburn and Cherepanov.

Glad to see he's got a good head on his shoulders. Hockey players are people, something we often forget.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I was dining at a restaurant a ways back and a big table next to me was Hugh Jessiman and his family. Hugh had a really good upbringing and a well to do family. Definitely a group that cared about him.

This was right before he got traded, and I remember how frustrated the tone of the conversation was regarding the Rangers "not playing" Hugh. I sat there and thought to myself, wow this kid really isn't going to make it but they totally believed in him, and Hugh sounded like he believed in himself.

At the time I remember thinking to myself, "Man this guy really doesn't know how much he sucks"....

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Glad to hear that he is doing well. There has been a lot of talk over the years and so much hate for this guy, I'm glad he has found peace with himself.

Back in the day I heard a rumor that he had a drug problem and coupled with his injury at Dartmouth led him to a role as a career minor leaguer, just wondering was that just tabloid **** or was there any truth behind it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00