Nystrom named CCHA Best Defensive Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Michigan senior captain Eric Nystrom was named the CCHA's Best Defensive Forward tonight at the annual CCHA Awards Banquet. He is the third consecutive Wolverine to win the award, following Jed Ortmeyer and Dwight Helminen before him.

Nystrom has 12 goals and 18 assists in 34 games this season, one point short of his career high 31 points in 40 games set his freshman season. He also sports at +18 rating.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
The problem with Nystrom is his best season was his freshman year. After that it was a steady decline over the next two years until his senior year. When he was drafted 10th overall there was talk he would be a 2nd line player and may turn out better than his dad. From what I've seen he'll be a good 3rd line player with limited offensive upside. (30-40 points)

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Blue Bullet said:
The problem with Nystrom is his best season was his freshman year. After that it was a steady decline over the next two years until his senior year. When he was drafted 10th overall there was talk he would be a 2nd line player and may turn out better than his dad. From what I've seen he'll be a good 3rd line player with limited offensive upside. (30-40 points)

That's what I see too. I would rather have a player with great offensive spark and have them learn defense with a year in the AHL (see Matthew Lombardi). But I'll take it. Rather have him as a good 3rd line grinder than not on the team at all.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Roughneck said:
That's what I see too. I would rather have a player with great offensive spark and have them learn defense with a year in the AHL (see Matthew Lombardi). But I'll take it. Rather have him as a good 3rd line grinder than not on the team at all.
That is an interesting way to look at Lombardi. Lombardi was a defensive player starting out in the Q, then started to use his offensive skills more. I'm not sure why you think he didn't know how to play defence until one season in the AHL. It takes along time to learn that very important aspect of the game. It isn't something taught over night, like many of you beleive is the case.

I hate the fact that people always through out the mantra "defence can be taught" Sure it can, but not at the high level that Nystrom plays it. Some players are born with a high defensive awareness, just like some have a high offensive awareness.

Nystrom regressing? Is point totals have gone down over the past two years but his play has gone up up up. He is probably the most valuable player for the Wolverines, just ask his coach. This guy will be an oh so valuable 3rd line guy for a contending team, or 2nd line player for a weaker team. He is a real warrior, but doesn't get his due prospect wise because he isn't a scorer. There is alot more to the game then scoring. Nystrom is a leader, an amazing two-way game, big time grinder, and can also put up the points. In fact, if anyone would bother looking at the stats they would notice Nystrom has 30 points in 34 games this season, most of you are now suprised.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Blue Bullet said:

Look at his draft year: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2002e.html

I think Nystrom will do enough at the NHL level to justify his draft position in a relatively weak year.

Last edited:

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Blue Bullet said:

Who cares if his offense isn't great. He finished at nearly a PPG this season PLUS was the best defensive forward in the league. Defense is just as important as offense. Nystrom is a PERFECT fit for the FLames since our offense is pretty much equal after the first line. Our #2 point player had 47 points. If Nystrom becomes a solid 40-45 point guy (which isn't pushing it) he is slotted as a top 5 Flames offensively yet brings huge defense and forechecking to the team, which is part of the Flames indentity.

Funkymoses

I've watched Nystrom play for four years now, and 3rd line projections are accurate. Think Ethan Moreau in terms of career projections... nothing standout special but very solid for a very long period of time. He's captain of Michigan this year and play like it... last weekend he singlehandedly killed 30 seconds of a power play by trapping the puck in ND's corner and refusing to let it get dug out.

I was pretty shocked that Nystrom was chosen so high in the NHL draft, but the word then was that he was a sure thing. Limited total upside perhaps, but you knew what you were getting with him: a complementary player. Looks like that prediction was accurate.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
I actually like the Moreau prediction. The Flames need a young guy like that to play in your face and defense. Yelle is not that young anymore plus who knows, there is always a chance his offense could spark a bit more than Moreau in the NHL. If not, a 30-40 point player is still very solid, especially with all the skills Nystrom excels in (defense, grit, leadership, forechecking, skating).

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Blue Bullet said:
I always liked the Nystrom pick for the Flames. While you could argue that there are players taken after him that will turn out to be better players (Semin, Grebechkov, Steen, etc) he will fit so well into the team that Sutter is building/has built that he was a very solid choice for them. The Flames could have possibly traded down and still got the guy they wanted, but it was risky. They knew who they wanted and they didn't risk losing him. No one expected him then to be a high profile scorer, although second liner didn't seem out of the question. Nystrom was drafted for gritty two way play, and tons of heart. Just like Bobby Ny. If he wasn't displaying that, I'd be worried, but his scoring will always be secondary to those traits. You don't draft Eric Nystrom for his scoring ability, even coming off a great freshman campaign, and if you do that's a mistake.

I think the Flames knew what they were getting and it was exactly what they wanted. Which IMO, is the right way to build a team. Granted, as an Isles fan, I am a rather biased towards Nystroms, but that's largely because I recognize how important they are to a team, and especially a team built like the Flames.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I wasn't saying he was a bad pick at #10 (at least your team didn't pick Niinimaki). Nystrom was picked around where I expected in a bad draft year and more or less has lived up to his potential. I was expecting a little more out of him offensively, however. What I meant to convey is that he doesn't get much buzz around here because of the lack of upside. He is a good, solid, boring defensive forward prospect and they do not get much attention.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
We actually did trade down one spot that year and picked up an extra pick.

oops, forgot that! but one pick isn't all that risky, seeing that you more or less know who the team will pick with that pick. i was more referring to dropping down say, 3-4 picks. or more, even. that would be a major risk, and for the Flames, i think they made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad