Post-Game Talk: NYR @ WSH Game I: An Implosion Of Modest Proportions

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Slept on the game, and have the same opinion I have from last night. Caps didn't win, Rangers beat themselves. Clean up the hockey and the mistakes, and this series goes to MSG 1-1 :nod:

How come when the Rangers lose it is their fault or of course bad refs, but when they win it is because they deserved to win.

One would think that the play of the other team is irrelevant.

This is almost a mathematical constant in these parts.

If a Ranger had snuck in behind a Caps defenseman like that, people would be screaming what a great pass and goal it was.

Believe it or not there are two teams on the ice and they both want to win.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
How come when the Rangers lose it is their fault or of course bad refs, but when they win it is because they deserved to win.

One would think that the play of the other team is irrelevant.

This is almost a mathematical constant in these parts.

If a Ranger had snuck in behind a Caps defenseman like that, people would be screaming what a great pass and goal it was.

Believe it or not there are two teams on the ice and they both want to win.

I'm sure that's what Caps fans are saying...

I know what you're saying, but really I have to agree with him I think the Rangers beat themselves more than anything. Too many bad penalties and quite a few mental lapses. We could rephrase it and say the Caps beat us, but we sure made it easy for them.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I know what you're saying, but really I have to agree with him I think the Rangers beat themselves more than anything. Too many bad penalties and quite a few mental lapses. We could rephrase it and say the Caps beat us, but we sure made it easy for them.

When does playing poorly, especially against good teams, become the norm instead of an isolated event?

Sure seems like us fans have been talking a whole lot about how the Rangers have been "beating themselves" this season

member 116805

Anyone have a video of Erat's hit on Zucc? I missed it last night, and cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
When does playing poorly, especially against good teams, become the norm instead of an isolated event?

Sure seems like us fans have been talking a whole lot about how the Rangers have been "beating themselves" this season

Maybe some of you, but I haven't, we played like piss for most of the season. We're not as bad as we were during those stretches though. I'm summing up the performance of the team as a whole and that's the best description I could give someone if they asked for my opinion, which is all it is.

If I felt like elaborating I would say things like, Girardi, McDonagh, and Del Zotto made some boneheaded plays. I thought Eminger, Stralman, and Moore were solid and probably our three best defensemen, Stralman got knocked down while making a sharp turn that lead to the Chimera goal, otherwise a decent game. We can't hit the net worth ****, Nash had quite a few shots but needs to finish, Stepan and Richards weren't noticeable, Hank needs to be better and the 3rd goal was a softy.

I could keep going but I think most of us watched the game.

Last edited:

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Our team lacks a leader..a real leader...and Cally is OK...but just a couple of notches below what we actually need . Rick Nash is also way too soft considering how big he is . If he could up his toughness factor by 20 % he would be a very dominant guy but the way he is...is also the reason why Joe Thornton has never won a Cup despite all the great regular season teams he has played on .

I thought we played a typical Ranger game...a lot of chances to score but very few wanting to be in front of Holtby where they might get the odd whack on the legs from the Caps D who will crosscheck and swat at you...much different then our 6 in front of Hank .

I think if we can raise our compete level by 20% we can be as good as the Caps...should not be difficult to do since we offered very little push back for most of the game anyways . Hagelin played a great game...one of his best as Ranger IMO .

I'm not giving up...because as bad as the first period was...I think we were quite in the game with a break or 2 going our way and the Caps blueline is not that great but our guys tend to make them all look like they are as sound defensively as Rod Langway in his prime .

We need the 2nd game..if we lose...could be over quick because I don't see a lot of fight or interest from some of our guys in continuing playing with Torts as coach .

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
People here said he was fat and sorta implied that he wouldn't be effective throwing his weight around.

I was the one who commented on his doughy physique, and never once implied that it either effected his play or was indicative of his preparation.

I simply noted that someone who does as much cardio as these guys and maintain that much extra weight is an odd sight.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Last night's game was awful.

Hagelin was probably the only player off the top of my head to have a good game. Everyone else either sucked or was nothing special.

I have no problems with the officiating, if anyone here was arguing about that (I'm not reading this thread). I only wish they could let the game be played instead of calling weak penalties (even if they are legit penalties).

What I don't get is if Tortorella doesn't coach offense, then what does he coach? It doesn't look like he coaches defense either. If he doesn't want to coach offense or defense, maybe he should get the team to stay disciplined.

Punxrocknyc19*

why did the Rangers make John Erskine look like Scott Stevens last night?? this happens all the time... i will tell you that is not a good sign at all.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
After seeing a replay of the Asham penalty on NHL Network today I no longer disagree with the call. Just a stupid play. Shoulder right to the head.

Kershaw

After seeing a replay of the Asham penalty on NHL Network today I no longer disagree with the call. Just a stupid play. Shoulder right to the head.

Yup, was gonna post this. Good call. Idiots on the bottom 6 killing the team, nothing new.

BB58

Dec 26, 2010
Cave
Goes to show us, marc staal might be the most underrated Dmen in the league.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Dear Torts:
I'm a big fan.
You and your team got your butt whupped last night. Adam Oats made you look like a punk.
You were out run, out gunned and lucky they did not light you up for more.
PS Please tell Henrick that people watch film and have figured him out.
Love John

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Dear Torts:
I'm a big fan.
You and your team got your butt whupped last night. Adam Oats made you look like a punk.
You were out run, out gunned and lucky they did not light you up for more.
PS Please tell Henrick that people watch film and have figured him out.
Love John

They figured him out eh? So they intentionally put those squeakers through his arm? He's shored up glove high which was the one place he had been exposed in the past, he hasn't got many weaknesses his positioning and reaction have been off just a touch allowing some of those softer goals to sneak in.

BarbaraAlphanse

Yup, was gonna post this. Good call. Idiots on the bottom 6 killing the team, nothing new.

Just boneheaded of Asham to even attempt a clean hit up high when we had just surrendered 2 straight power plays. He's a veteran, he should know better.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Henrik screwed up. However, it didn't matter because he had no chance on the first goal and the Rangers only scored one goal. Maybe they would still be playing if Hank played a perfect game. Here is what I don't get.......how can a coach that preaches "defense first", regularly benching certain players if they screw up.....and a team that is supposedly defensively conscious, play so terribly defensively? Does not make sense to me.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't want to hear about "one cup in 73 years" when I highly doubt you were even around for most of them. What do you care if the Rangers didn't win the cup in the 1950's?

How many Cups have "major" teams won since, let's say, 1979?

Chicago: 1
Rangers: 1
Philadelphia: 0
Boston: 1
LA: 1
Toronto: 0
MTL: 2 (I think)
Anaheim: 1

Chicago, LA, NY, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia, & Montreal: 7 Cups in 34 years. Maybe you need to reevaluate your expectations.

It's a capped league. Major market teams have a few advantages - nothing like the Yankees, though.

I guess the best way to describe the results of a capped league is to compare it with the NBA. In the NBA, big market teams like Miami, LA, Boston and NY have a great chance to build a dynasty because they have a soft cap. For every buck spend above the salary cap, the team has to pay a penalty of the same amount.

I.e.: If Miami spends 95 million when the cap is 60, they are 35 million above the cap and they have to pay 35 million as a penalty to the NBA. That way, big market teams have a major advantage. That's why small teams like Indiana will never be able to win the title several years in a row.

The NHL is strict when it comes to the cap, giving every team a fair chance. Basically it means every team, with the right management, can go from picking the 1st overall to winning the Cup in 5 years.

The Rangers have not had a top5 pick in the last 20 years and that makes it a bit more difficult. Edmonton for instance, with all those top picks, should be doing better than they are doing at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if they win the Cup in the next 3 to 5 years.

Who knows where we will be in 2 years. Every team can win the Cup. Hell, last year the 8-seed LA won the Cup. People should realize we live in a world where a capped league gives every team a fair chance. It's not like football where a team like Ajax wins the national championship 15 times in the last 30 years or Barcelona in Spain winning back-to-back championships.

What it comes down to is our play-off motto this year: Anything Can Happen

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Have you ever, just once, seen the chatter after a loss say that the other team won because they played well? It's always the Rangers sucked or the refs sucked.

Have you ever seen the chatter after a win say that the Rangers won because the other team sucked?

This is not specific to Rangers fans. Go to any other team thread and shockingly it's the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad