Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Rangers sign John Gilmour to a 1-year deal [$650k]

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
How did I miss Chris Bigras getting dealt. Does he suck now? Seemed like he was on track to at least be a fairly steady 4/5?

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
How did I miss Chris Bigras getting dealt. Does he suck now? Seemed like he was on track to at least be a fairly steady 4/5?

He was traded for Rangers D prospect Ryan Graves back at/around the deadline. Sounds like it was more of a change of scenery swap than anything else.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Glad to see he got some games in at the end of last season. How'd he look Rangers fans?
Arguable the fastest defensemen in the AHL/NHL. Just insane how fast he is.... Won fastest skater in the AHL last season. Everything else he is pretty average at, will be interesting to see if he will stay up or start in the AHL. I think he is a decent bottom pairing guy or at worst a #7D.

Last edited:

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015

Not going to lie Chris Bigras was very much overlooked he did great with the wolfpack I think he has a pretty good shot at cracking the roster. Going to be really tough to decide between the last two spots.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Glad to see he got some games in at the end of last season. How'd he look Rangers fans?

He was ok. His playing time was a product of injuries and the Rangers finally giving younger players a chance. He has great wheels and isn't afraid to shoot the puck, but I don't see him developing into anything more than a John Moore-type, bottom pair D. Still never a bad thing to have players like him, that can taxi between the AHL and NHL in the event of an injury. But as of now, I would expect him to make the team and be in the top 6-7 out of camp.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Dude skates like McDavid (not actually but he’s fast as shit with some beautiful skating)
That’s about it. Some offensive ability, can dangle sometimes. Shit everywhere else. Was great for Hartford though but I can’t see him carving out an NHL career. If he does it’s as a last resort journey man who’s a 6/7 D. I’d love to see him tried on LW though, think he can be a solid winger who can PK.

Reactions: haveandare

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He can definitely still be a solid bottom pairing D. Injuries ruined him. We have too many NHL/near NHL ready dmen though. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him dealt later on for a pick. He was really good in Hartford though

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He can definitely still be a solid bottom pairing D. Injuries ruined him. We have too many NHL/near NHL ready dmen though. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him dealt later on for a pick. He was really good in Hartford though

He's gotta be waiver eligible this year too, no?

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Gilmour showed promise as a puck mover with the skating. He has the confidence to try and stick-handle through defenders, but wasn't really all that successful. Experience will help him to figure out when he can and can't try it. I only dabble with some of the basic possession metrics, but a CF% 49.3 and CF% rel 4.9 is pretty solid given AV's lunatic defensive system and a depleted NHL squad. I also thought he looked good as a PP guy when he got time.

I also agree with a post above that I think he could even carve himself out an NHL spot as a defensive forward with his skating. Not sure if that is with NYR or not, but I think he has that potential if teams aren't seeing his defensive qualities sufficient enough for an NHL blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad