Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #9

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Nicholls was an overager, who all do well, then collapse in the pros.

The others mentioned were all in the juniors, and none outscored Haggerty per game despite playing in an easier league.

He is a big guy who can score. He was a dominant college player as a 20 year old, which is an accomplishment.

We had people voting for Fogarty last season when he was the same age, but wasn't half the player. Fogarty's best season was still not as good as Haggerty's best.

Had Hags been drafted in the second round three years ago, we'd think he was great to be able to dominate in the ECAC. But it is even more impressive for someone who wasn't drafted because he showed that much more improvement and the trajectory of a prospect's improvement is key.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nicholls was an overager, who all do well, then collapse in the pros.

The others mentioned were all in the juniors, and none outscored Haggerty per game despite playing in an easier league.

He is a big guy who can score. He was a dominant college player as a 20 year old, which is an accomplishment.

We had people voting for Fogarty last season when he was the same age, but wasn't half the player. Fogarty's best season was still not as good as Haggerty's best.

Had Hags been drafted in the second round three years ago, we'd think he was great to be able to dominate in the ECAC. But it is even more impressive for someone who wasn't drafted because he showed that much more improvement and the trajectory of a prospect's improvement is key.

Hags? That nickname is taken! ;)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Haggerty I guess. This system is BRUTAL right now.

I can't believe Kristo is running away with this. If he ever contributes consistently at the NHL level I will eat my toilet plunger.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
THE CASE FOR RYAN HAGGERTY

The kid became a dominant collegiate player as a 20-year-old junior. This is generally regarded as a make it or break it year for college players because it's easy to dominate if you are older, while younger players don't necessarily get their shot.

Given this test, Hags made it and he made it big. Haggerty had 1.23 points per game, while the team's #2 scorer had only 0.81. The next 5 scorers on the team were all at least a year (or 3.5 years) older than him.

He finished third in the NCAA in goals and tied for eighth in points. Haggerty led the ECAC in goals, shots on goal (161), and game-winning goals (six), ranked second in the conference in points, and third in power play goals (10).

All this and he has a man's body, weighing in at 201 pounds at the development camp. And unlike some other big guys (e.g., Brian Boyle), Haggerty isn't afraid to take the body.

This is why there were many teams interested in Ryan Haggerty and why Glen Sather spent time right around the trading deadline (the busiest time of the year for a GM) trying to get him to sign with the Rangers.

Upon signing Haggerty, Jeff Gorton called him "a higher-level prospect".

What's key here is that he's improved every year. People look at a prospect the way he is now, but that's a mistake that amateurs make, but professionals don't. The key thing for a prospect is how much he's improved. This is why the Rangers didn't re-sign McColgan - no progress.

But Haggerty has shown tremendous progress. He got 11 points in 34 games in the USHL, then 15 points in only 23. Progress. He moves to the NCAA and gets 15 in 35, but proves he belongs in college. Progress. Then he gets 26 in 36 showing he can be a top-end NCAA player. Progress. Finally last season he got 43 points in 35 games, proving himself to be a superstar at the NCAA level. Definitely progress.

This is why the Rangers gave him $925k, while most UDFAs wind up on $500-$700 contracts. In fact, Haggerty's contract is bigger than J.T. Miller's, McIlrath's, Duclair's, etc. That doesn't mean that he is a better prospect (he had more leverage), but the willingness to give out this kind of a contract is a reflection that the Rangers recognize that a 20-year-old kid who can dominate in the ECAC is no after-thought, he's a quality prospect.

"We really like Ryan's work ethic and his drive to get better every day."
-Jeff Gorton

=========================================================

Add Tambellini based on the good reports of his play in the Development Camp.

You make an excellent argument... particularly in noting that continued improvement is often ignored as the key in evaluating a prospect. However, the 43 points Haggerty scored in college, while very good, is hardly remarkable. The AHL has always been full of players who lit up the NCAA scoreboards.

I know this can be said about anybody, but we won't know about Haggardy until he steps on the ice against professionals. It's especially true for him because he's flown under the radar for most of his career and really has just had one exceptional season. I am looking forward to watching him.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

I can't believe Kristo is running away with this. If he ever contributes consistently at the NHL level I will eat my toilet plunger.

This is a default slot where we have a lot of prospects who probably have better potential, but they're so far away that Kristo's half-decent AHL numbers take precedent. If Haggerty wasn't brand new to the system he'd probably be winning this.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I can't agree with you there.

I am shocked Kristo is running away with this, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad