Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #9

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
As predicted, an easy win for Conor Allen in round 8. LW Marek Hrivik is added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich

SECOND TIER

7. C Oscar Lindberg
8. D Conor Allen

Conor Allen
Defense -- shoots L
Born Jan 31 1990 -- Chicago, IL
Height 6.01 -- Weight 203

2013-14 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 72 6-25-31 71PIM

large_Allen.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Andersoon, Calle
Bodie, Matt
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Nejezchleb, Richard
Shestyorkin, Igor
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael
Tambellini, Adam
Walcot, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew
Zamorsky, Petr

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
THE CASE FOR RYAN HAGGERTY

The kid became a dominant collegiate player as a 20-year-old junior. This is generally regarded as a make it or break it year for college players because it's easy to dominate if you are older, while younger players don't necessarily get their shot.

Given this test, Hags made it and he made it big. Haggerty had 1.23 points per game, while the team's #2 scorer had only 0.81. The next 5 scorers on the team were all at least a year (or 3.5 years) older than him.

He finished third in the NCAA in goals and tied for eighth in points. Haggerty led the ECAC in goals, shots on goal (161), and game-winning goals (six), ranked second in the conference in points, and third in power play goals (10).

All this and he has a man's body, weighing in at 201 pounds at the development camp. And unlike some other big guys (e.g., Brian Boyle), Haggerty isn't afraid to take the body.

This is why there were many teams interested in Ryan Haggerty and why Glen Sather spent time right around the trading deadline (the busiest time of the year for a GM) trying to get him to sign with the Rangers.

Upon signing Haggerty, Jeff Gorton called him "a higher-level prospect".

What's key here is that he's improved every year. People look at a prospect the way he is now, but that's a mistake that amateurs make, but professionals don't. The key thing for a prospect is how much he's improved. This is why the Rangers didn't re-sign McColgan - no progress.

But Haggerty has shown tremendous progress. He got 11 points in 34 games in the USHL, then 15 points in only 23. Progress. He moves to the NCAA and gets 15 in 35, but proves he belongs in college. Progress. Then he gets 26 in 36 showing he can be a top-end NCAA player. Progress. Finally last season he got 43 points in 35 games, proving himself to be a superstar at the NCAA level. Definitely progress.

This is why the Rangers gave him $925k, while most UDFAs wind up on $500-$700 contracts. In fact, Haggerty's contract is bigger than J.T. Miller's, McIlrath's, Duclair's, etc. That doesn't mean that he is a better prospect (he had more leverage), but the willingness to give out this kind of a contract is a reflection that the Rangers recognize that a 20-year-old kid who can dominate in the ECAC is no after-thought, he's a quality prospect.

"We really like Ryan's work ethic and his drive to get better every day."
-Jeff Gorton

=========================================================

Add Tambellini based on the good reports of his play in the Development Camp.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
From the last round:

Kristo is 24 years old. That's old for not being able to show some consistency or defensive competency in the AHL. Time is running out for him. Conor Allen is the same age, and clearly the better player right now, at least in my eyes. Defensemen generally take longer to mature than forwards, and Allen is still ahead of Kristo in terms of NHL readiness. This is probably a make-or-break year for Kristo, given that he didn't play as well as we would have hoped last season. He'll end up going right around #10 in our rankings, and I think that is about where he should be. His stock is going way up or way down depending on how this year goes.

Agreed. Kristo could potentially skyrocket when we vote again in January, but let's be honest, he's got to show big time progress this year. More offense and a ton more defense. We aren't going to be sitting here next summer, still hoping that a 25 year old Kristo will improve. Either he'll get it or he won't get it this year. Whatever progress will be made after this upcoming season will have to be minor hiccups fixed at the NHL level. If he's still trying to build his game in the AHL in 2015-16, he'll stay there for the rest of his career, give or take a couple call up when the team is injury-bitten. But unless he "gets it" in the next year, he will be a career minor leaguer.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Kristo, add Tambellini.

Haggerty is an unknown quantity right now, much like Allen was last year. He could go way up in the midterm rankings if he plays solid in Hartford. I would prefer to keep him in the mid-late teens until we know what we have in him, JMO.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Kristo, add Tambellini.

Haggerty is an unknown quantity right now, much like Allen was last year. He could go way up in the midterm rankings if he plays solid in Hartford. I would prefer to keep him in the mid-late teens until we know what we have in him, JMO.
Agreed re: Haggerty, but also very much agreed with Beacon's point about Kristo. This was the first extremely difficult poll for me. Going with this year's top pick, Halverston based on where he was taken, Gordie's description of him as a future number 1 and Leslie's reports on him from camp. Can totally see all of the picks from this point on being completely reordered during our midterm rankings, however.

Speaking of which, this is a natural breakpoint for me. Beacon, if you're going to switch from the traditional 1-5 = first tier, 6-10 = second tier, etc., might I suggest that the break come right after OL, not right before him?

EDIT: add Tambo.

Last edited:

mti79

May 11, 2007
Agreed re: Haggerty, but also very much agreed with Beacon's point about Kristo. This was the first extremely difficult poll for me. Going with this year's top pick, Halverston based on where he was taken, Gordie's description of him as a future number 1 and Leslie's reports on him from camp. Can totally see all of the picks from this point on being completely reordered during our midterm rankings, however.

Speaking of which, this is a natural breakpoint for me. Beacon, if you're going to switch from the traditional 1-5 = first tier, 6-10 = second tier, etc., might I suggest that the break come right after OL, not right before him?

EDIT: add Tambo.

Was totally going to vote for Haggerty until I read this and remembered all the good things I'd read. Went for Halverson instead. Add Nejezchleb

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Rather amusing that the consensus is Kristo is the #8 prospect in the system, yet Leslie rated him #1.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kristo. As skeptical as I am about whether he can put it together, the skills are better than anyone on the list.

I haven't seen Haggerty yet, so I can't say. He's a similarly accomplished college player, but can he even replicate Kristo's AHL performance? Jury's out.

Add Zamorsky.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I'm greatly appreciative of Beacon's work on these polls, but I really hate the "tiers." They're totally arbitrary. Frequently, there's essentially no difference between the guy at the end of one tier and the beginning of the next. I just ignore them.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Went with Kristo. Did watch some pack games this season and he was inconsistent, but has the high end potential. This also was his first pro season. Much like Kreider and others, first year pros can struggle. I'll be interested to see his camp. He'll either rise dramatically or fall off the board next poll.

Add Tambellini. Ryan Bourque should be added soon. He has a shot to make the 4th line out of camp. Had a good season in Hartford.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Went with Kristo. Did watch some pack games this season and he was inconsistent, but has the high end potential. This also was his first pro season. Much like Kreider and others, first year pros can struggle. I'll be interested to see his camp. He'll either rise dramatically or fall off the board next poll.

Add Tambellini. Ryan Bourque should be added soon. He has a shot to make the 4th line out of camp. Had a good season in Hartford.

Bourque is too old for the purposes of this poll.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Bourque is too old for the purposes of this poll.

His name is on the prospect list. That's all I'm basing it off of. My point of him making the 4th line is still possible.

EDIT: using the link above and Ryan's Wikipedia page, he qualifies. He's 23.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His name is on the prospect list. That's all I'm basing it off of. My point of him making the 4th line is still possible.

EDIT: using the link above and Ryan's Wikipedia page, he qualifies. He's 23.

Yeah my bad, I thought he was 24 already.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Graves, add Bodie

so much wishful thinking re Haggerty, a one dimensional player with one good season as an amateur. I am not aware of any real reason to rate him significantly higher than Hughes or Nicholls. St Croix and Yogan were more productive as amateurs. all of them should probably be in the 14-20 range. Boo too.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Graves, add Bodie

so much wishful thinking re Haggerty, a one dimensional player with one good season as an amateur. I am not aware of any real reason to rate him significantly higher than Hughes or Nicholls. St Croix and Yogan were more productive as amateurs. all of them should probably be in the 14-20 range. Boo too.

Can't really compare CHL and the NCAA performances...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad