Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Fast won over 80% to take this round and Adam Tambellini is added to the poll.

I am changing the classification to make them more in line with the quality of our prospects rather than a random number like top-5 or top-10. Our top tier prospects will be just our top 5 guys: Duke, Hayes, Butcher, Skjei and Fast. Being in our second tier doesn't mean someone is a bad prospect, they are still quality players, but I think guys like Lindberg, Hrivik and McIlrath are a step below guys like Duke and Butcher and therefore belong in the second tier.

Write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion better.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Anthony Duclair
2. C Kevin Hayes
3. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
4. D Brady Skjei
5. RW Jesper Fast

Jesper Fast
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Dec 2 1991 -- Nassjo, Sweden
Height 6.00 -- Weight 185

2014-15 New York Rangers NHL 29 3 3 6 8PIM

457320048-jesper-fast-of-the-new-york-rangers-high-gettyimages.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Allen, Conor
Andersoon, Calle
Bodie, Matt
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Haggery, Ryan
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Kristo, Dany
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Nieves, Cristoval
Noreau, Samuel
Nejezchleb, Richard
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael
Walcott, Daniel
Zamorsky, Petr

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted for McIlrath because I watch him play. At the start of the season, Allen and Kostka were the blueliners to get called up, but right now McIlrath looks like a significant improvement on both of them. He skates well for anyone, not just for a big guy, he just skates well. He used to treat the puck as if it's a hot potato, but now he sometimes takes it all the way behind the opposition's net. He's all over the ice usually. His intimidation factor matters: yesterday a Norfolk player was skating with the puck when he saw the Undertaker in front of him. The guy purposely fell on the ice and gave up the puck because a turnover is better than a concussion. MCI didn't even have to hit him, just approaching the guy was enough to create a turnover.

McIlrath could easily be a #7 defenseman today and once he acclimates to the NHL over 5-10 games, he'll be able to contribute immediately. I know that those who don't watch Hartford hate MCI, but he's shown a lot of improvement this season and is far better now than even 2-3 months ago. He's still just 22 years old and is improving at a fast pace. He will be a good NHL defenseman with a unique skillset of a big, intimidating guy who can skate and shoot.

Add Haggerty: can't play away from the puck to save a life, but he's still just 21 years old and has offensive gifts that none of the remaining prospects who aren't in the poll do. It will take him a few years to reach the NHL, but he could be a top-6 player one day.

Last edited:

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Lindberg, add Haggerty. It was a close call between Lindberg and McIlrath, but I went with Lindberg because I think he is ready to contribute right now if called up (albeit as a 4th liner), while McIlrath might need a year as the #7 defenseman before being ready.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lindberg, add Haggerty

Also JMO but if Skjei is in top tier then Fast should be as well.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am not married to having only the 4 guys as a top tier, but they are the only ones who are relatively safe to play in the NHL, while having a good probability to be a top-6F or top-4D. Fast is obviously an NHLer, but do we think he has a good shot at the top-6? I see him as a future good third liner, but not as a good first or second line guy.

Do others disagree?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I am not married to having only the 4 guys as a top tier, but they are the only ones who are relatively safe to play in the NHL, while having a good probability to be a top-6F or top-4D. Fast is obviously an NHLer, but do we think he has a good shot at the top-6? I see him as a future good third liner, but not as a good first or second line guy.

Do others disagree?

I dont know if he has top 6 upside but a very good 3rd liner is still a good player.

I didn't vote last round but I'd have Fast over Skjei. Not a knock on Skjei and I like his upside but Fast is already showing that he'll be a handy NHL player at least.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Do others disagree?

Yes, I do.

By no means is Fast - who is a mainstay on the third line in his first full season - a guaranteed third liner for the remainder of his career.

Nor is Skjei - whom I like a lot, but hasn't even played a professional game yet - even a guaranteed NHLer, much less a guaranteed top-4D.

There's a natural break between 5 and 6, IMO.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yes, I do.

By no means is Fast - who is a mainstay on the third line in his first full season - a guaranteed third liner for the remainder of his career.

Nor is Skjei - whom I like a lot, but hasn't even played a professional game yet - even a guaranteed NHLer, much less a guaranteed top-4D.

There's a natural break between 5 and 6, IMO.

I respect your opinion and this is a good argument, so you win: I changed our top prospects to include Fast.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Wouldn't Halversson be higher than him though considering we took him first and they're still in their first years?

Red Line Scouting ranked Shesterkin the second-best goalie available in the 2014 draft and projected him as a second rounder. He slipped and the Rangers grabbed him even though it was never the plan to draft two goalies with the first 4 picks. Halverson, incidentally, wasn't in their top 10.

Shesterkin was described as: "The cat-like acrobat shows phenomenal reflexes and anticipation, and almost never gets beaten by anything clean - it has to be a rebound, deflection, or screen shot."

He was really good in the WJC. His stats in Russia at all 3 levels (KHL, their minor league VHL and their junior league MHL) are really good too. I think the two should be close, but personally I really like Shesterkin.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Both Shesterkin and Halverson have been really good in their respective leagues. Shesterkin had a really good WJC. Halverson more or less was the backup to Demko.

Skapski's season in Hartford has been a real eye opener. Personally a case could be made for each one being the best. Skapski deserves to be added to the list soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad