Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This time it was the Americans: Brady Skjei won the round and Brandon Halverson is the second goalie in the poll.

Write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion better.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Anthony Duclair
2. C Kevin Hayes
3. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
4. D Brady Skjei

Brady Skjei
Defense -- shoots L
Born Mar 26 1994 -- Lakeville, MN
Height 6.03 -- Weight 206

2014-15 U. of Minnesota Big-10 12 1 3 4 16PIM

Brady+Skjei+USA+Hockey+Junior+Evaluation+Camp+0Q96HhT5fyql.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Allen, Conor
Andersoon, Calle
Bodie, Matt
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Haggery, Ryan
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Kristo, Dany
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Nieves, Cristoval
Noreau, Samuel
Nejezchleb, Richard
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael
Tambellini, Adam
Walcott, Daniel
Zamorsky, Petr

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted for Fast because he is already good enough to be a quality NHL player. He just turned 23 a month ago, so he should continue to improve another couple of years based on both his age and adjustment to the NHL from a rookie to a set. Fast should be a quality 3rd liner in his prime.

Add Haggerty because he's the only remaining prospect (not counting St. Croix who's in the ECHL) who has top-6 offensive potential. Probably won't reach it, but he's only 21 and a rookie in the pros, so the jury is still out on him.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Voted for Fast because he is already good enough to be a quality NHL player. He just turned 23 a month ago, so he should continue to improve another couple of years based on both his age and adjustment to the NHL from a rookie to a set. Fast should be a quality 3rd liner in his prime.

Add Haggerty because he's the only remaining prospect (not counting St. Croix who's in the ECHL) who has top-6 offensive potential. Probably won't reach it, but he's only 21 and a rookie in the pros, so the jury is still out on him.

To be perfectly honest I think Fast is already a quality third liner. He's deceptively good on the boards, plays a heavy game, defensively responsible, and is a very good skater. I don't know what the stats say (and I'm too lazy to look it up) but by the eye test, he drives possession. He's been putting up more offense in his second stint with the team, even if it hasn't completely shown up on the scoreboard yet. We know he has offensive ability, we saw it against men in one of the best leagues in the world.

I think he'll be a quality top-6 forward in his prime.

Anyway, Fast, add Tambo.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Can someone explain to me why we should add Tambellini? He's an offensive player in his last year of regular junior eligibility born early in the season, so he's older than 90%+ of the league. Yet, he's only tied for #19/20 in the WHL in scoring. There's also 19 players in the OHL and 21 in the QMJHL who have more points than he does. I doubt that there are 60+ offensive future-NHL players in the juniors right now, plus a bunch more in college and Europe. Each year of junior players produces only a few offensive NHL players and usually they score like Duclair and not like Tambellini.

I could see if he were a defense-first player. I could see if he was a big power forward. But offense guys are obvious pretty quickly. Tambo's scoring is nothing special at all. Scoring 70-something points per game in the WHL is nothing.

In preseason, he was one of the first kids to get cut. When all the AHLers were still in our camp, he was sent away because he obviously couldn't keep up even with marginal minor leaguers.

I bet you that next year Tambo stays in the WHL for an overager season because he's not good enough to play in the AHL. I know everyone will deny it, but to me it looks to be another case where people see a point per game and disregard what league it was scored in.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Fast. Already a good bottom-sixer. Should be a player much like Hagelin that can move around the lineup and be effective.

Add Hrivik. Think he is closest to Nhl by the ones remaining. Should be a bottom 6 winger with good board play on a cheap contract the next years.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Meant to vote for Fast but clicked Lindberg :facepalm:

Add Tambellini.

I want to add Tambellini because I think his development curve is off the charts. Sure, he's an overager, but it's still only his 2nd year in the WHL. He's a team leader, has good size, and he's coming along very nicely.

I think he's a kid who will surprise in the AHL next year.

Could make a case for a couple of those prospects remaining to be added before Tambellini, but he's a kid I really like.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Fast. To me there's a short list of nominees for the list now. In alphabetical order Allen, Haggerty, Skapski and Tambellini. I'd probably rank them Allen, Skapski, Haggerty, Tambellini. After that things get real murky.

Add Allen.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Can someone explain to me why we should add Tambellini? He's an offensive player in his last year of regular junior eligibility born early in the season, so he's older than 90%+ of the league. Yet, he's only tied for #19/20 in the WHL in scoring. There's also 19 players in the OHL and 21 in the QMJHL who have more points than he does. I doubt that there are 60+ offensive future-NHL players in the juniors right now, plus a bunch more in college and Europe. Each year of junior players produces only a few offensive NHL players and usually they score like Duclair and not like Tambellini.

I could see if he were a defense-first player. I could see if he was a big power forward. But offense guys are obvious pretty quickly. Tambo's scoring is nothing special at all. Scoring 70-something points per game in the WHL is nothing.

In preseason, he was one of the first kids to get cut. When all the AHLers were still in our camp, he was sent away because he obviously couldn't keep up even with marginal minor leaguers.

I bet you that next year Tambo stays in the WHL for an overager season because he's not good enough to play in the AHL. I know everyone will deny it, but to me it looks to be another case where people see a point per game and disregard what league it was scored in.

I'm not a big fan of Tambellini's. I was under the impression that this was his overage season. I see him somewhere around 15 in our prospect pecking order. Some years that 15th guy is a better player though. I could see Tambellini possibly playing in the NHL one day but to me he's got Erik Christensen written all over him. Nice set of skills--serviceable in some situations but not likely to become a core player (not on a good team anyway). He is an older player in a league of younger players like Walcott and Nejezchleb are as well. Pro rated by the way Nejezchleb's numbers in the same league are almost the same--in fact slightly better than Tambellini's.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I can only speak for myself regarding Tambo, but after Halverson, I feel we've reached a plateau where you could take any one of a number of guys - and, however they wind up falling, it will likely look very different next time we do the poll.

For example, last poll I would've ranked Allen even higher, probably around #7. But having watched him a bit and hearing other reports, he appears, sadly, to have taken a step back - that trend at his age is concerning. Haggerty is compelling (and will probably be my next pick) but has had a bit of a slow start to his AHL career and plays the wing. Hrivik I've always liked, but he tops out at a 3rd liner maybe and is starting to get up there in his tenure with the org. Skapski is interesting, but has had inconsistency issues in the past and one gets the sense that mgmt doesn't quite trust him - although that may just be them bringing him along slowly. (Honestly, I may also have goalie fatigue since my last two adds were Halverson & Shestyorkin.)

Meanwhile Tambo has good natural tools, plays center and the reports coming back from those who watch him say that to appreciate him you a) have to watch his full game, including away from the puck and b) understand that he's playing with a first-year kid and an undrafted OA on his line. Add in that Leslie spoke highly of him in rookie camp and that he appears to have added significant meat to what was a twig-like frame and I'm intrigued. Is that a great reason to pick him next? No, but then again, we're into the 11-20 range now and not a lot separates these guys.

Last edited:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
2013-14 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 72 6 25 31 71 -4
2014-15 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 34 5 12 17 41 -1

Allen is scoring at a better clip than last season, and is being asked to play a more offensive role in Hartford. Judging by the stats and the few AHL games I've watched, he's doing fine.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
2013-14 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 72 6 25 31 71 -4
2014-15 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 34 5 12 17 41 -1

Allen is scoring at a better clip than last season, and is being asked to play a more offensive role in Hartford. Judging by the stats and the few AHL games I've watched, he's doing fine.

Obviously you and I have watched different games. :)

Glad to hear you differ - I was a big fan going into this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad