Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #29

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Troy Donnay won round 28. Chris McCarthy is added to the poll.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Anthony Duclair
2. C Kevin Hayes
3. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
4. D Brady Skjei
5. RW Jesper Fast

SECOND TIER

6. C Oscar Lindberg
7. D Dylan McIlrath
8. G Igor Shesterkin
9. D Ryan Graves
10. G Brandon Halverson
11. C Adam Tambellini
12. G Mackenzie Skapski
13. D Conor Allen
14. RW Ryan Haggerty
15. LW Marek Hrivik
16. C Cristoval Nieves

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

17. RW Richard Nejezchleb
18. C Steven Fogarty
19. D Tommy Hughes
20. D Daniel Walcott
21. D Petr Zamorsky
22. RW Dany Kristo
23. D Ryan Mantha
24. C Keegan Iverson
25. D Sam Noreau

LONG SHOTS

26. D Calle Andersson
27. LW Ryan Bourque
28. D Troy Donnay

Troy Donnay
Defense -- shoots R
Born Feb 18 1994 -- Flint, MI
Height 6.07 -- Weight 185

2014-15 Erie Otters OHL 38 4 16 20 38PIM

maxresdefault.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Missiaen, Jason

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We have to vote for St. Croix. He's still only a 21 year old and scored 200 points in his last two seasons in the WHL, the toughest (offensively) league in the Canadian Juniors. We dropped him low enough as it is for his struggles in the pros, but he's a great ECHL player and was a great juniors player, and at the age of 21, he still has a shot to improve enough to become a player.

St. Croix has by far, by many miles, the highest ceiling of all the remaining prospects. The rest, even if they make it (which is a long shot), will become very marginal NHLers. St. Croix could become a top-6 player with his skill set. Yes, I know he has flaws, but at this point in the poll, so does everyone, except nobody has his ceiling.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
voted Bodie. St. Croix doesnt have the next gear to even play at an AHL level. He was able to get away with it in Junior but the pros exposed this

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Bodie. I am more confident here, because i watched him for 4 years before NYR signed him. He was a leader and a force, not just in his 2 years as captain at Union, but as a sophomore when they went to Frozen 4 at Tampa

I cant believe what a dud St Croix has been to date. Maybe he can finish strong like last year.

Nicholls should be a top 8 F at Hartford next year.
McCarthy should be in AHL next year too.
I don't know Nehring or Brown enough to know what those guys on ECHL contracts[AHL PTOs] are bringing, but the team has been competitive with them, so keeping Nicholls and McCarthy down seems appropriate.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nanne's at least 4 more years away from turning pro--if that happens. A so-so USHL year--then to Ohio St. U. I'd expect him to need all 4 years there.

Bodie has good skills--his size sucks. Pay attention Derek Walcott--you're going to need to put on a few pounds if you want to become a pro hockey player. Bodie is an example of a player a few years older who is to light and can't handle the pro game.

St. Croix had a pretty good year in the ECHL last year. He's having a **** year this year. 5 goals and 21 points in 34 games. A -12. No ****ing hope for this guy. He plays out the string of his ELC next year and that's it for him.

Kantor has no offense--is a gritty forward. He's always injured. He's played three games this year between Hartford and Greenville. I'm not sure he's played any since October. One more year of an ELC after this. Who actually thinks this guy is going to make it?

Nicholls is at least in the neighborhood of a point a game in the ECHL this year. I don't think he's going to get another contract from us when the present one is up but at least he's a respectable player in the league he's in.

McCarthy's not having a great year either. He's a rookie. 22 points in 38 ECHL certainly isn't spectacular. Averaging well over 3 shots a game which is pretty good.

Basically what's left is all junk.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We have to vote for St. Croix. He's still only a 21 year old and scored 200 points in his last two seasons in the WHL, the toughest (offensively) league in the Canadian Juniors. We dropped him low enough as it is for his struggles in the pros, but he's a great ECHL player and was a great juniors player, and at the age of 21, he still has a shot to improve enough to become a player.

St. Croix has by far, by many miles, the highest ceiling of all the remaining prospects. The rest, even if they make it (which is a long shot), will become very marginal NHLers. St. Croix could become a top-6 player with his skill set. Yes, I know he has flaws, but at this point in the poll, so does everyone, except nobody has his ceiling.

St. Croix had a great year last year in the ECHL, but has been pretty mediocre this year. 21 points in 34 games is nothing to write home about. And at minus-12 he's better than only some 25-year-old lifetime ECHL scrub named Scott Arnold. Nicholls is only a year older, is definitely out-producing St. Croix, and also was a force in the WHL. I don't see anything with St. Croix. He's too slow physically and mentally to be an impact player even at the AHL level, IMO.

Nanne has impressive bloodlines and the scouting reports often refer to "Brian Rafalski-like potential" with excellent offensive instincts. He's not likely to reach that, but if we're talking upside with regards to young, raw players, I'd say he's at least on par with whatever you think St. Croix might become.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
St. Croix had a great year last year in the ECHL, but has been pretty mediocre this year. 21 points in 34 games is nothing to write home about. And at minus-12 he's better than only some 25-year-old lifetime ECHL scrub named Scott Arnold. Nicholls is only a year older, is definitely out-producing St. Croix, and also was a force in the WHL. I don't see anything with St. Croix. He's too slow physically and mentally to be an impact player even at the AHL level, IMO.

Nanne has impressive bloodlines and the scouting reports often refer to "Brian Rafalski-like potential" with excellent offensive instincts. He's not likely to reach that, but if we're talking upside with regards to young, raw players, I'd say he's at least on par with whatever you think St. Croix might become.

FWIW I remember watching his grandfather Lou play (on TV several a number of times) with the North Stars. That was the early-mid 70's. He was always being talked up because he was one of the handful (and I mean 3 or 4) of American players back then in the NHL. He was a very average player though really and kind of getting near the end of the line and FWIW he wasn't exactly an American--I believe he was born and brought up in Sault Ste. Marie Ont. but he'd been hanging around in Minnesota for a while (and not just with the North Stars) and become a US citizen. As far as bloodlines--he had two or three sons who were drafted by NHL teams but none of them ever came close to reaching the NHL. If I remember rightly they were pedestrian players at Minnesota U. Lou Nanne was also very connected and did a lot to built USA hockey in the Midwest and I believe he's in the USHOF. What all this means as far as Tyler--probably not a lot but IMO when I saw the pick I was thinking that Sather probably knows Lou well and was just taking a longshot with his grandson. Kind of a feel good thing like the Devils picking Martin Brodeur's kid.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's possible that he was drafted in part due to the familial connection, but really, Slats epitomizes the Old Guard and knows everyone. There are probably a couple dozen kids each year that have some sort of family connection to Glen Sather. I think it's more to do with the fact that the Rangers are looking for some swift, slick, puck-moving defensemen. It's why in the past couple years they signed Bodie and drafted Andersson, Walcott and Nanne. There's a need for some offensive defensemen in the system, and Nanne fit the bill. Plus, as I documented in the last thread, he was picked right around where he was projected to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad