Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #20

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Mat Bodie won the #19 spot. D Ryan Mantha added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich
7. C Oscar Lindberg
8. D Conor Allen
9. RW Danny Kristo
10. RW Ryan Haggerty

SECOND TIER

11. G Brandon Halverson
12. C Adam Tambellini
13. LW Marek Hrivik
14. C Boo Nieves
15. D Ryan Graves
16. LW Ryan Bourque
17. D Petr Zamorsky
18. C Keegan Iverson
19. D Mat Bodie

Mat Bodie
Defense -- shoots L
Born Mar 7 1990 -- East St. Paul, MAN
Height 6.00 -- Weight 165

2013-14 Union College ECAC 40 8-31-39 57PIM

article-0-127C4E3A000005DC-586_964x779.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Kantor, Michael
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Walcott, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Shestyorkin. For one, he was just drafted in the fourth round, which is a high enough position. More importantly, he was just a dominant Russian Juniors players with 1.42 GAA and .947 SV%.

Even in the KHL, while playing for a non-playoff team that finished dead last in its division, he had a very impressive 2.80 GAA and .903 SV%. The scouting reports on Shestyorkin are glowing about his athleticism and skill. Is he raw? Yes, but so was Kreider, so was Leetch, so was Richter.

The fact that a kid can hold his own in the KHL at the age of 18 is impressive for any position, but particularly so for a goaltender, who take longer to develop.

Add Tommy Hughes because he's proven himself to be a capable top-4 AHL defenseman who has size and makes few mistakes at the age of 21.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Calle. Add McCarthy. I think Calle will make it as a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL.

Un related note, I accidentally clicked the X on our prospects bar at one point. Haven't figured out how to get it back. Anyone know how?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Calle. Add McCarthy. I think Calle will make it as a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL.

Un related note, I accidentally clicked the X on our prospects bar at one point. Haven't figured out how to get it back. Anyone know how?

In the User CP, it's the very last option on the left under Miscellaneous. Dismissed Notices. Go in there and check the notice, save, and you'll be good to go. :)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Serious question to those guys who have been around a while with me.

When was the last time that we got into the 20's and still had legitimate players to add? McCarthy? He was one of the better college UFA's coming out this year.

Noreau? Developing pretty well for a big hulking d-man who can throw down with anyone.

Kantor? Spark-plug heart and soul player.

Hughes? Solid, yet unspectacular in the AHL as a rookie last year.

Donnay? Took huge strides last year in juniors. ANother big hulking d-man.

Those guys are ON TOP OF the players already on the list.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Color me surprised that Fogarty isn't getting any love. I think he's a guy who will end up with a career as a 3/4th line tweener at the NHL level.

I'm expecting a big year out of him at Notre Dame. I think he'll be top 15 the next time this list rolls around. Going into his junior year, 21 YO, real good size on him. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't show serious improvement in his game this season.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

When was the last time that we got into the 20's and still had legitimate players to add? McCarthy? He was one of the better college UFA's coming out this year.

Noreau? Developing pretty well for a big hulking d-man who can throw down with anyone.

The first poll I did, which was in the summer of 2009, Hagelin was ranked #21. We also had about 4 polls where Talbot was not even ranked, he was just an honorable mention, once when we went to top-30 and several times when we went to top-20/25.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Color me surprised that Fogarty isn't getting any love. I think he's a guy who will end up with a career as a 3/4th line tweener at the NHL level.

I'm expecting a big year out of him at Notre Dame. I think he'll be top 15 the next time this list rolls around. Going into his junior year, 21 YO, real good size on him. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't show serious improvement in his game this season.

How many years does a player need to suck before we give up on him?

Foggy was just a 2/3 liner in the BCHL. Excuse: stacked team even though most of the "stack" will never even see the AHL, much less the NHL.

Fourth liner in the NCAA. Excuse: freshman year even though he is the same age as sophomores.

Third liner in the NCAA when he's the same age as juniors. Excuse: No excuse, just statements that he can be an NHL third liner. The gap from college to the NHL is so big that when you are 20/21 (same age as AHL rookies), you should be able to dominate college. Even if you can't put it all together yet, you should display your tools. Being a responsible bottom-6 college player at this age means nothing. He will be an AHL third liner, maybe even an ECHLer.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
St. Criox x3 now.

The photo in this thread is begging me to open up my photoshop. I must resist!

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Only two votes are separating the first place from the fifth. Closest round I remember.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Great depth - it's the best I remember as well. The last time I was this impressed with guys in the teens, we were coming out of the first lockout and had all the picks from the '04 rebuild in the system (and I was frankly starved for hope).

I would like to see more high-end talent (*cough* stop trading first round picks *cough*), but I am also pleased with the quality of the kids this far back. Still not a fan of the MSL trade, but I am pleased that they then went out and acquired what look like 4 good assets on the UDFA market.

If last year's third round works out as well as we all hope, we may actually overcome the fact that we're about to go into our third straight year without a first rounder. THAT would be miraculous work by Gordie and co.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Shestyorkin. For one, he was just drafted in the fourth round, which is a high enough position. More importantly, he was just a dominant Russian Juniors players with 1.42 GAA and .947 SV%.

Even in the KHL, while playing for a non-playoff team that finished dead last in its division, he had a very impressive 2.80 GAA and .903 SV%. The scouting reports on Shestyorkin are glowing about his athleticism and skill. Is he raw? Yes, but so was Kreider, so was Leetch, so was Richter.

The fact that a kid can hold his own in the KHL at the age of 18 is impressive for any position, but particularly so for a goaltender, who take longer to develop.

Completely agree, the guy put up Vasilevsky-like numbers in the MHL and performed well in the limited playing time he got in the KHL. I'm really surprised he isn't rated higher, I guess it's just because he only went in the 4th round due to the Russian factor and nobody knows anything about him

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

there were a few polls before but I also don't think I share you're enthusiasm for this crop. There are good prospects but if I had to rate their chances, they would not be very good. You'd find me more agreeable if you stated "Hartford is gonna look strong in 3-4 years." so much unproven players we have yet to see translate into the pro level (even if it's ECHL)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Good point.:handclap::yo:
We have been drafting better and aggressive with signings.

If we could only get lucky w/one or two guys so we could handle a Getzlaf, we'd be RIGHT there!

Edit add:
O yeah, Andersson, pls add:
Donnay, Troy
Hughes, Tommy
McCarthy, Chris
Noreau, Samuel
Walcott, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew

Andrew is on the out looking in, but he played so well the last traverse....
Last year, want to showcase on 4th line and move him.
Can't afford to let picks go for nothing....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad