Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't get how people take Skjei over Duclair.

I think having a great offensive prospect is so foreign to Rangers fans that nobody even knows what to think of it.

As always in these polls, everybody has a different formula when weighing a player's potential vs where a player is in their development. Skjei seems much more likely to me, right now, that he will be an NHL player. Duclair's talent is certainly intriguing, but is still a far greater unknown as a player. I went with Skjei this time, but Duclair could probably change my mind pretty quickly.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Skjei, add Buchnevich.

I don't get how people take Skjei over Duclair.

I think having a great offensive prospect is so foreign to Rangers fans that nobody even knows what to think of it.

Skjei's more of a sure thing and has a fairly high ceiling himself.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I cant see valuing players that high who wont even stiff a NHL game for 2-3 more years.

Who is 2-3 years away?

I probably should have voted for Skjei but didn't, either way Skjei is a year or two away same as Duclair in my opinion. They will both get long looks this camp. Both with an outside shot at a spot. Duclair fits a need more and might have a slight edge due to that.

Skjei is probably closer but only a little yet it well likely be harder for him to crack the lineup.

As far as my voting/ranking process I'm kind of looking at ceiling as well as overall development in terms of being ready. Theoretically Allen and McIlrath are probably the two closest on defense but overall Skjei is probably better. Same thing with Duclair, Fast and Kristo may be closer on terms of professional experience, but Duclair is probably the more complete player. Which makes them better prospects in my eyes.

Last edited:

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I dont rate them on raw ability. A combination ability and to put it all together and play in the NHL is how a prospect should be rated.
Duclair and Skjei are one step below because neither is prepared at this time to play in the NHL.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I dont rate them on raw ability. A combination ability and to put it all together and play in the NHL is how a prospect should be rated.
Duclair and Skjei are one step below because neither is prepared at this time to play in the NHL.

That's assuming the others are, outside of Miller none of them have played much. Maybe Fast. But regardless you have to look at potential and where they are in their development to rank them properly.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I based my vote on who's most ready. Fast is most likely of this group to be on the team next year. After him I would vote for Allen.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That's crazy man, I like Duke a lot, but that's wishful thinking.

I agree it's not probable, but it's entirely possible. He's a year removed from his draft and had he not had a down year leading up to the draft, he very likely could have gone top 10 and played in the league (albeit for a worse team) LAST year. Again, not likely, but not completely impossible either.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Wish Duke played in play-offs this past season. Went with Skjei though it was pretty close. Add Butch.

On one hand it is pretty cool that two last years 3rd round picks will likely be NYR top 5 (props to Clark and Co. for a good job scouting) but at the same time this is direct result of not having high draft picks lately. Pretty soon it could catch up.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Wish Duke played in play-offs this past season. Went with Skjei though it was pretty close. Add Butch.

On one hand it is pretty cool that two last years 3rd round picks will likely be NYR top 5 (props to Clark and Co. for a good job scouting) but at the same time this is direct result of not having high draft picks lately. Pretty soon it could catch up.

We do have all our picks after the 2015 draft. I think they may end up trying to get into the 1st round next year.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I"m aboard the Duclair hype train simply because of the season he had in the Q this year. I feel like he is more exciting and has a higher ceiling than our other offensive prospects.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We do have all our picks after the 2015 draft. I think they may end up trying to get into the 1st round next year.

People need to stop saying this. It's ridiculous. Slats NEVER acquires first round picks. He got one of them during our fire sale in 2004, but otherwise preferred acquiring prospects even when we were in the middle of an overhaul. The idea that he would give up ready assets (NHLers) or almost-ready assets (prospects) for future picks who won't be ready until Lundqvist is close to 40 is ridiculous. It's not happening. We will not be getting more picks, we'll be trading them away. The only way we'll replenish our total number of draft picks is if we trade a second for 2 thirds or a fifth for 2 sixths. But we are not going to give up a player or a prospect for a first rounder.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

If we use our next two first round picks on a guy who scores 60 goals (which was Duke's pace until his injury) and another guy who is a second-liner in the KHL as an 18 year old, I'll be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad