Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #19

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Keegan Iverson won the #18 spot. D Calle Andersson added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich

SECOND TIER

7. C Oscar Lindberg
8. D Conor Allen
9. RW Danny Kristo
10. RW Ryan Haggerty
11. G Brandon Halverson
12. C Adam Tambellini

THIRD TIER

13. LW Marek Hrivik
14. C Boo Nieves
15. D Ryan Graves
16. LW Ryan Bourque
17. D Petr Zamorsky
18. C Keegan Iverson

Keegan Iverson
Center -- shoots R
Born Apr 5 1996 -- St. Louis Park, MN
Height 6.00 -- Weight 216

2013-14 Portland Winterhawks WHL 67 22-20-42 70PIM

12731903-essay.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Kantor, Michael
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Walcott, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted for Mat Bodie because in the last 20 years, he's scored more than any other Rangers defenseman prospect except Mike Mottau.

Add Manth because he was just a fourth round pick and it's kind of ridiculous to multiple players the Rangers drafted after him were already placed, but he wasn't since we clearly don't know as much as the Rangers scouting staff.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I haven't voted in a while because I do not know nearly enough about these prospects, but if a guy like Keegan Iverson is going 18th on our list, I have to suspect we have some decent depth :dunno:

Not to mention Calle Andersson, who by most accounts had an okay year in Sweden was just added. I remember him showing off a bomb of a shot in the WJC this year. I'm really looking forward to what he can do in Switzerland this coming year. Hopefully we can bring him to NA soon.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really think Bodie is being criminally underrated. Am very interested to follow his this year.

Could be. We ranked Conor Allen 15th in his first go round, though Allen was slightly more highly-regarded. If Bodie has a good first half, he'll skyrocket up the list I'm sure.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I really think Bodie is being criminally underrated.

Almost definitely. If he's strong enough, he should be an NHL player. The weight isn't encouraging, but maybe we can do a protein shake drive here. He may need to spend a year in the minors just because he needs to gain 15 pounds to play in the NHL (and no, it's not possible to gain 15 pounds of muscle in one summer, not unless you are taking steroids).

main_1532.JPG

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Almost definitely. If he's strong enough, he should be an NHL player. The weight isn't encouraging, but maybe we can do a protein shake drive here. He may need to spend a year in the minors just because he needs to gain 15 pounds to play in the NHL (and no, it's not possible to gain 15 pounds of muscle in one summer, not unless you are taking steroids).

main_1532.JPG

I agree with you on him needing to add some mass. But I think that would be almost impossible with a pro schedule. It should have happened in the NCAA to be honest (strength and conditioning resources, IMO is one advantage big time D1 schools with multiple sports can hold over smaller schools like Union). That is the best place for it. Really hard to put on any weight during the grind of a pro season...I have some friends who played in the AHL who would regularly end the season 15-20 lbs lighter than when they started.

We'll see what happens and I can't necessarily blame people for taking a "wait and see" approach. But his natural ability moving the puck and his slapshot could arguably be the best in the org. Ideally he adds some bulk but he is going to make it or break it on how well his skill develops.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Shestyorkin, add Walcott. I can't believe people aren't getting behind Walcott more at this point. He reportedly wowed at prospect camp, has big time speed to go with offensive upside, and has a very exciting development curve.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Bodie add Mantha

I've been biased in favor of Bodie as I've seen him play often, including all his ECAC and NCAA playoff games over 4 years. Union's run to the title was exciting, inspiring and fun;
It always seemed possible yet impossible. The 3 goal blitz, late in 1st period vs Skjei in title game, changing score from 1-2 to 4-2, was as exciting and unexpected a few minutes as you'll see. The arena was stunned.
Their captain's performance and leadership were keys.
He's tenacious and creative and has great hockey sense.
Gostisbehere (+7 in a 7-4 game) justifiable got most of the headlines; but just as we saw in the NYR SCF run, the 2d pair is as critical as the 'top' pair.

We can only hope that Bodie is the impactful offensive d-man we've waited for from Sanguinetti to Gilroy to Del Zotto.
He'll be mentored by one of the recent best, Dan Boyle.

FYI, below is what Adam Herman posted about Bodie today, ranking him 12th, above about 7 of the guys these polls have already voted in:

http://nyrangersblog.com/2014-articles/summer-2014-new-york-rangers-prospect-rankings-1-12.html

The highest-ranked newcomer to the prospect pool. Bodie was the captain of Union College, who stunned the hockey world and won the NCAA Championship this past season. He was third on the team in points, with 39 in 40 games, and he scored a goal in each of the four Frozen Four Games, including the final against Brady Skjei’s Minnesota. An undrafted free agent, the Rangers were quick to get him under contract once his season ended.

The biggest praise of Bodie has been his mental makeup. According to his coaches and teammates, he’s a true leader in the locker room and is the kind of player who works his butt off to improve. Physically, he’s got an above-average slap shot and is a good distributor of the puck. Though this is partially indicative of a major hole in the prospect pool, right now Bodie represents the Rangers’ best chance of developing a PP QB. He’s going to need some time in Hartford to work on becoming a true defenseman, but he is someone who is eager to improve himself in any way possible and will soak up everything he can from Wolf Pack Assistant Coach Jeff Beukeboom, who is a pretty good mentor for all things defense. At 24, time is obviously not on his side, but Bodie is clearly a late bloomer. He’s got a chance of becoming a solid depth defenseman who provides plenty of offense.

BarbaraAlphanse

main_1532.JPG

It's possible. I gained 10 pounds of muscle in about 2 months using regular protein.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
It's possible. I gained 10 pounds of muscle in about 2 months using regular protein.

I thought so too when I began lifting, but a lot of the first 10 pounds was water weight from creatine and pre-workouts. Maybe half was due to the actual muscle growth over the first couple of months. Then for a couple months after that my weight remained the same as my arms, legs, chest measurements kept increasing. That's because water weight was being replaced with muscle, so no gain in pounds, but gain in mass.

Also keep in mind that a regular person gets quick beginner gains the first 2-4 months (and then sees still solid gains for another year), but a professional hockey player who just captained a college D1 champion is not a beginner.

For a medium-level lifter, it is next to impossible to gain over 1-1.5 pounds of actual muscle per month. For an advanced lifter, it is half of that until you completely plateau. Bodie is almost certainly not advanced since he's skinny, but he won't be getting beginner gains either. If a 24 year old pro player builds more than a couple pounds of muscle a month, it is definitely due to steroids (unless what he is gaining is fat or water).

BarbaraAlphanse

I thought so too when I began lifting, but a lot of the first 10 pounds was water weight from creatine and pre-workouts. Maybe half was due to the actual muscle growth over the first couple of months. Then for a couple months after that my weight remained the same as my arms, legs, chest measurements kept increasing. That's because water weight was being replaced with muscle, so no gain in pounds, but gain in mass.

Also keep in mind that a regular person gets quick beginner gains the first 2-4 months (and then sees still solid gains for another year), but a professional hockey player who just captained a college D1 champion is not a beginner.

For a medium-level lifter, it is next to impossible to gain over 1-1.5 pounds of actual muscle per month. For an advanced lifter, it is half of that until you completely plateau. Bodie is almost certainly not advanced since he's skinny, but he won't be getting beginner gains either. If a 24 year old pro player builds more than a couple pounds of muscle a month, it is definitely due to steroids (unless what he is gaining is fat or water).

You're right. All good points. Just saying he can get 15 pounds from pure work outs. When the season starts though, and the workouts decrease... I expect him to have a net gain of 5 pounds or less.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Could be. We ranked Conor Allen 15th in his first go round, though Allen was slightly more highly-regarded. If Bodie has a good first half, he'll skyrocket up the list I'm sure.

I think he is ranked perfectly fine right now as a UDFA. As you said, if he does well, he will rocket up the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad